A. geniculata: a must have for a modest collection?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Thanks for looking at my post!

So I have a GBB and a Versicolor. Since I made a new GBB habitat, I have a juvenile cage just sitting empty, and the temptation to fill it is a bit much.

The problem - I’m NOT going to end up with an army of T’s. I’m thinking max 5 or so, and I got a couple I want to get down the line, so I’m putting a lot of thought into each species I pick up.

Anyway, I’ve heard a lot of great things about the A geniculata. Nice coloration, aggressive eaters, active and out in the open... these all sound like things I would like in a T.

So, in your opinion, is an A geniculata a must have for a small collection, or should I think of something else?

Many thanks to those that respond! :)

Last edited:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Well, what's a must-have is up to you in the end, but you won't ever hear anyone speaking in a bad way about geniculatas. They are fantastic.
They grow well, they are hardy, they are funny ("everything is food!"), they eat like trash cans, they are always visible/never hide, they grow large, they are docile and actually total cowards.

Short: Yes. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nothing, MacGyver. What you did for us, with a pencil and a vulgar Sweden match, is priceless! :)

So I have a GBB and a Versicolor. Since I made a new GBB habitat, I have a juvenile cage just sitting empty, and the temptation to fill it is a bit much.

The problem - I’m NOT going to end up with an army of T’s. I’m thinking max 5 or so
I respect this a lot. Ain't joking, man. But as you know, there's the old motto of: 'never say never', T's are addicting as .... at the end.

Anyway, I’ve heard a lot of great things about the A geniculata. Nice coloration, aggressive eaters, active and out in the open... these all sound like things I would like in a T.

So, in your opinion, is an A geniculata a must for a small collection, or should I think of something else.

A.geniculata is a must have, they are amazing Theraphosidae. The 'Slimer' of T's, they eat everything. They are always out in the open, no matter how many eyes are present (including a Bug-Eye 1000 Eyes flying monster).

Yeah, a must have, God Damn It.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I just got my 1" specimen not long ago at all. What I was expecting - voracious little beast that'll bite anything and everything with the expectation of it being food.

What I got - Tiny shy creature that spends all of her time hiding and is scared of crickets.... Perhaps I should cut her some slack though, she is only an inch in size. ;)

I gotta say though, it's beautiful, even as a sling. I find that I think I prefer the appearance of N. chromatus, but these guys are certainly lookers, especially when they get large. The common consensus is that yes, these guys are a fantastic placeholder in a small collection.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Take a stomach and give it a pair of fangs. Now you have a genic. I've never heard anything bad about them, I'd say that they're a perfect addition for a small collection

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I’m thinking max 5 or so, and I got a couple I want to get down the line
Yeah... I thought the same, now I am thinking max 20, not more. ;P
Anyway, you will not be disappointed with A. geniculata, trust me. Huge, nice colors, always visible, always hungry, with some temperament.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I once thought I'd have 2 or 3 tarantulas max. I once said the same about tattoos. I have a lot of both now and I will get more, I'm sure.

I don't have A. geniculata in my small collections but did consider it and got a G. pulchripes instead. They sound awesome and like they'd be a good addition to any collection and they definitely are awesome looking.

I just wonder though, @Nightshady, how many Ts you will have in one year. :cat:

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Guess I will be starting to work on that Genic habitat!!

I once thought I'd have 2 or 3 tarantulas max. I once said the same about tattoos.

Haha, tarantulas are like tattoos. Almost impossible to have just one. I have several of those myself and am considering starting a sleeve.

How many in a year? Ha, good question. I have two now, about to add a third, so I’m gonna say in a year I have four. Five tops.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Guess I will be starting to work on that Genic habitat!!

I once thought I'd have 2 or 3 tarantulas max. I once said the same about tattoos.

Haha, tarantulas are like tattoos. Almost impossible to have just one. I have several of those myself and am considering starting a sleeve.

How many in a year? Ha, good question. I have two now, about to add a third, so I’m gonna say in a year I have four. Five tops.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

The problem - I’m NOT going to end up with an army of T’s. I’m thinking max 5 or so, and I got a couple I want to get down the line, so I’m putting a lot of thought into each species I pick up.

So, in your opinion, is an A geniculata a must have for a small collection, or should I think of something else?

I can't recommend them enough, gorgeous spiders with an insatiable appetite. Fast growth rates, beautiful coloration, what more could you ask for?

They are among the top terrestrial display species as well, mine are always out on the lookout for food. Plus they continue to grow more impressive with size. You can't go wrong with A.geniculata.

Attachments

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I've had my 4 inch female for a couple of months now. Quickly becoming a fav. Gorgeous both pre and post molt. Pretty active so far without destroying the enclosure.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing, MacGyver. What you did for us, with a pencil and a vulgar Sweden match, is priceless! :)

I respect this a lot. Ain't joking, man. But as you know, there's the old motto of: 'never say never', T's are addicting as .... at the end.

A.geniculata is a must have, they are amazing Theraphosidae. The 'Slimer' of T's, they eat everything. They are always out in the open, no matter how many eyes are present (including a Bug-Eye 1000 Eyes flying monster).

Yeah, a must have, God Damn It.
What sacrilege is this??? You got through an entire comment without once mentioning The Goddess or touting her virtues?

But yeah, totally agree with you about A. geniculata. I love mine! When my first genic hooked out, I swapped him for a younger (and hopefully female!) version, and the new one is every bit as attractive and exciting as its predecessor. They are a definite must-have for my collection!