A. Genic - rehouse or feed.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0755.JPG Here's the A. geniculata post molt and re-housed, looking beautiful. the transfer was simple, a little flick but that was it, as you can see a fully covered abdomen, thankfully.

Attachments

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've taken to doing my OW rehouses (well, my C. huahini) before they've hardened up enough to have their first post moult meal, I found it so much easier.
Why do you think it has become easier, just curious as to why it's easier, are they less skittish, or is it the fact that they haven't hardened up yet, that makes them less likely to be defensive?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Why do you think it has become easier, just curious as to why it's easier, are they less skittish, or is it the fact that they haven't hardened up yet, that makes them less likely to be defensive?
Compared to a fully hardened specimen that has had a meal (and therefore has the energy to expend), it seems less likely to bolt and doesn't seem go as far when it does due to still being somewhat lethargic, I'm also less worried about being tagged which means I'm less likely to eff up anything during the rehouse.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Compared to a fully hardened specimen that has had a meal (and therefore has the energy to expend), it seems less likely to bolt and doesn't seem go as far when it does due to still being somewhat lethargic, I'm also less worried about being tagged which means I'm less likely to eff up anything during the rehouse.
Yeah that makes sense, I'll try this method in future, thanks for sharing @The Grym Reaper

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Pleased to inform you that my A. geniculata has taken it's first prey item in my care, certainly not a disappointment - the roach hit the sub and bang the spider tagged it and is still munching away. These guys hit hard without any hesitancy, I'm glad I waited the full seven days as the feeding response was awesome, I wish I had recorded it for future reference, it's one of the best attacks I've ever seen, this spider is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
@TRection glad you liked it, I'll try to post the next feeding, hopefully it will be a recording, yours will probably have molted by then....good luck with the molt pal.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I personally don't like working with my Ts before they have hardened up after a molt. The reason they are less likely to bolt/run/be defensive is because with a softer exoskeleton they have a harder time moving about and can likely damage themselves. Trying to move a T before it's done hardening up can lead to an injured T since they are more fragile in that state. Just like feeding one before the fangs has hardened has a higher chance of causing fang damage.

Once they molt let them be to recover/harden up them rehouse as needed. I've done both feeding before the move and after. It hasn't made any difference that I could tell as long as you let the T finish it's meal before trying to moving it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I personally don't like working with my Ts before they have hardened up after a molt. The reason they are less likely to bolt/run/be defensive is because with a softer exoskeleton they have a harder time moving about and can likely damage themselves. Trying to move a T before it's done hardening up can lead to an injured T since they are more fragile in that state. Just like feeding one before the fangs has hardened has a higher chance of causing fang damage.

Once they molt let them be to recover/harden up them rehouse as needed. I've done both feeding before the move and after. It hasn't made any difference that I could tell as long as you let the T finish it's meal before trying to moving it.
Thanks @Trenor as you've probably read I've re-housed the A. geniculata, I waited until it was rehoused and today it was fed for the first time in my care. It was shipped to me, then went directly into pre-molt, it was a replacement for 0.0.2. C. dyscolus sp. blue. It was such a huge surprise as the original slings were 2i and the Genic as you can see is a juvenile, that was so nice of the seller to do what she did, huge thanks to the tarantula factory. Awesome couple.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It hasn't made any difference that I could tell as long as you let the T finish it's meal before trying to moving it.
I was actually advised to move it whilst it was eating, I did not even consider that one - no way, I don't know why but it is something I would never attempt. There is a YouTube upload with a T. blondi being rehoused whilst eating a roach but I was not about to take that chance of the T getting defensive and tagging me, no chance!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was actually advised to move it whilst it was eating, I did not even consider that one - no way, I don't know why but it is something I would never attempt. There is a YouTube upload with a T. blondi being rehoused whilst eating a roach but I was not about to take that chance of the T getting defensive and tagging me, no chance!
IME Ts get more defensive to being herded while eating. I used to not care if I fed or watered first when it was a maintenance day. After a while it seemed if they were near the water dish (or had a foot on it) they didn't move or let go as easy once they were eating. Now I fill the water dish and then drop in the food. It seems to me mine move easier (with less brushing) when they don't have food in the mouth.