A. Genic (Giant White Knee) Temp Too Cold??

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im worried that the temperature is too cold for my Giant white knee and he/she seems to not come out as much or seem as active. I dont know the exact temp of he tank but I know my room is at 65 degrees. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to pour some warm water around the soil to warm her tank up for now???

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are you getting reptiles and arachnids confused?

I think 65 is sufficient for now. I also think most tarantulas behave in this manner. A non-moving tarantula is a happy tarantula, or so I've read. So long as its eating fine, I really wouldn't worry too much.

As for warming it up, can you just not move the tarantula's cage to a warmer part of the room? Most tarantulas do just fine at normal room temps anyway, no need for additional heat sources.

Your idea of pouring warm water around doesn't sound all that good, either. Just leave it alone where it is, or move it to a slightly warmer spot.

And lastly go get yourself a digital thermometer. They're less than $10 at Walmart.

Bob Bohnet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think that you want that much moisture in the house with the t because it could lead to fungus or a mold problem.
Room temps are ok for most species.
Is your genic CB or WC? A wild caught speciman will be used to it's native temp's, which for the genic would be warmer, Brazilian I believe.
Good luck!

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ditto on the other 2 replies. Your temps are about the coolest you'd want but they are fine. Basically if you are comfortable then usually so is the tarantula.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My genic is normally in an area of my house where it is between 65 and 68 and I have had no problems. I think you should be fine just leaving it be.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I bought a digital thermometer just today and a heating rock (barely got home so didnt see this post I gess I'll just return the heating rock. What would be the best humidity and temp level for my A. Genic (giant white knee)?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First off - some bad news - you didn't want a heating rock, which can get very hot indeed, and potentially hot enough to burn your T. You need to take it back and get a heat pad really.

As has been said before, happy T's don't move much, and are not very active, except at feeding times. My adult female genic is most happy at 72F which I achieve with a room temp of around 70, and then a heatpad attached to the side of the tank.

Definitely do not pour warm water into the substrate.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I'll go back and get a heating pad. The digi hygrometer says the humidity is at 65%. Is this too high? If it is. What can I do to reduce the humidity.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
65% is good for genics, despite what care sheets (including my own) might say. ideally they might prefer 70, but mine certainly doesn't mind lower.

The key is to have a large, flat water bowl available, and only limit the ventilation if humidity drops below 50% for an extended period of time...otherwise - leave as is, and all should be fine... on a side note, but linked to humdity, I have noticed that misting of the tank is not appreciated by my adult female - she prefers it dry, with substrate to match.

When you get your heatpad, it's an idea to mount it on the outside of one of the sides of the tank (not underneath), and then place the waterbowl close to that side. For reasons I am not sure of, my genic likes to hang out close to both the heat and water...

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
temps

my computer room is also my T room, and stays between 65 and 70 during the day, and with a oil heater stays about 60 to 65 late at night. My Ts do just fine, including my pokies. 60 to 70 seems to be an acceptable temp range.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool thanks for everyones help. Right now he/she (havent got it sexed yet) is only about 2.5-3 inches big and I am using a big gatorade cap as a water dish.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool thanks for everyones help. Right now he/she (havent got it sexed yet) is only about 2.5-3 inches big and I am using a big gatorade cap as a water dish.

It sounds like yours is probably one moult ahead of mine. I am currently using a cap off of a Dasani water bottle for a dish.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok quick question. There is a light bit of mildew on its hideout but its current in it. How should I clean it? I dont want to startle it or stress it out.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mold?

Clean it. You're probably using peat moss or something right? Maybe not.. I'd use Softbed and don't keep it too moist in there! Moist but not damp is what I mean. That's a common misconception. Yeah genics like it humid (60%-80%) but I'd opt for a little drier substrate and a water dish. Also clean up any leftovers to avoid future mold.

Hope this helps! Keep the questions coming and keep us posted on the results! Is any of what we're suggesting helping any? Good Luck!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep my brazilian white knee at around 78 degrees with about 65% humidity. i use "Lizard Litter" for substrate. its a little harder to find that like "jungle earth" etc. but well worth the search. it hold moisture very well and is quite visually appealing as well. these spiders are tropical spiders....what do people associate with the tropics...??? heat and humidity. some people are having luck with theirs at 65 degrees. that is awsome for them! i dont have that luxury though...when mine's temp drops below 70-71 she slows down and cuts way back on eating. anyway...just my personal experience...for what its worth!

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still havent been able to buy a heater for my room so the temp can get as low as 58 degrees in the tank even with the heat pad plugged in all the time. Should I even bother putting crickets in there? Last time she just ignored the crickets but I dont know how long she will go with out eating...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still havent been able to buy a heater for my room so the temp can get as low as 58 degrees in the tank even with the heat pad plugged in all the time. Should I even bother putting crickets in there? Last time she just ignored the crickets but I dont know how long she will go with out eating...
some of my bugs will eat at that temp, some won't.

you shouldn't have to feed too much when it is that chilly, so you might not even need to worry about feeding at all.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some of my bugs will eat at that temp, some won't.

you shouldn't have to feed too much when it is that chilly, so you might not even need to worry about feeding at all.
yea well everytime i put a cricket in there it would literally go right in front of her mouth and she would ignore it. So I gess she wont be eating for a while.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok....i know im about ot get flamed for this post...but PLEASE keep in mind..that what i say has worked for me! i use a heat buld on all of my "heat loving" terrestrials. i use a 15 watt day glo bulb. now the thing to remember is that heat lights WILL DRY OUT SUBSTRATE! so...i mist mine everyday...sometimes twice a day depending on which T im dealing with. anyway...just my opinion and it has worked for me.

JoseMCeee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok....i know im about ot get flamed for this post...but PLEASE keep in mind..that what i say has worked for me! i use a heat buld on all of my "heat loving" terrestrials. i use a 15 watt day glo bulb. now the thing to remember is that heat lights WILL DRY OUT SUBSTRATE! so...i mist mine everyday...sometimes twice a day depending on which T im dealing with. anyway...just my opinion and it has worked for me.
well i bought a small heater for my room. I already was able to get the temp up to 72 degrees and 58 % humidity. She seems to be more active now instead of just hiding by a corner.