A few questions about Mexican Red Rump

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
Update, I found a shop that sells glass spider tanks. What size is best? 20x35x20 / 20x20x35 / 25x25x25 (all in cm). They also have biggers sized but that's no good xd

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Update, I found a shop that sells glass spider tanks. What size is best? 20x35x20 / 20x20x35 / 25x25x25 (all in cm). They also have biggers sized but that's no good xd
I have my small terrestrial T's in 20x20x20 so the 20x35x20should be ok.

Last edited:

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
She may be still comfortable in it though...
I'm so confused lol, Sorry if i'm being annoying but the thank she is in now is 30x30x30 cm? Is it just to big for her now? Can I put her in when she's an adult then? (I don't know what an inch is so i'm not sure if you're using cm or inch :$ )

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I'm so confused lol, Sorry if i'm being annoying but the thank she is in now is 30x30x30 cm? Is it just to big for her now? Can I put her in when she's an adult then? (I don't know what an inch is so i'm not sure if you're using cm or inch :$ )
30x30x30 should be fine for an adult T.

Congrats on your new T! I just got into the hobby myself. I’m up to two T’s now. :)

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
30x30x30 is too large for her now. 30x30x30 in inches is 12"×12"×12". 20x20x20 in inches is 8"×8"×8". Youll want at least (with my experience) half the enclosure height to be filled with substrate.

cold blood

Staff member
The cage was not sold by the breeder himself, I showed him the cage before I bought it and he told me it was fine for an adult spider and that mine could be placed in that one too, unless I wanted to see more of her. But I didn't really wanna cause her more trouble so put her in the glass cage right away.
For an adult...but yours isn't an adult. It is big enough to deal with the extra room though.
I wouldn't ever put a sling in an over size enclosure, but juvies are a little more flexible IME.

Re houses aren't a big deal, a t adapts fine to a well set up new home.
That's so weird, I asked someone else for a suitable drinking bowl and they gave me the sponge one with the argument that spiders can only suck water and not drink?
Did this person own tarantulas?:bucktooth:

Lastly, I'm still fond of glass cages (with the escaping and all it's nearly impossible for them), what size should it be? And I want to get a Brazilian Black soon, maybe I should go to a different breeder, but does anyone know the cage sizing for a Brazilian black? Sorry for all my questions!! But thanks you!!
Housing is pretty much the same across the board for NW terrestrials.

Under 1", a simple condiment cup works great.

Over an inch they can be moved to a 16oz deli cup (or something similarly sized). Now you have room for a hide, water dish and a little decoration. They can stay in this till close to 3"

From there options can really expand....some do just put them right into the adult enclosures....this works best IME in enclosures with less clutter, as feeders have fewer hiding places. I generally put them into an intermediate enclosure by 3", which would either be a larger kritter keeper or a sterilite tub the size of a shoe box.

By 5" the adult enclosure would be needed.

Now that exo terra enclosure with the front doors can be used...but it does need to be modified. One would need to change the top to plexi or acrylic to dam the substrate as you need to lay the enclosure essentially on its back, so the front doors are now at the top. This allows you do add enough substrate to make it a safe place for a terrestrial. We've seen a few people do this and make very nice looking and functional enclosures.

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
For an adult...but yours isn't an adult. It is big enough to deal with the extra room though.
I wouldn't ever put a sling in an over size enclosure, but juvies are a little more flexible IME.

Re houses aren't a big deal, a t adapts fine to a well set up new home.
Did this person own tarantulas?:bucktooth:

Housing is pretty much the same across the board for NW terrestrials.

Under 1", a simple condiment cup works great.

Over an inch they can be moved to a 16oz deli cup (or something similarly sized). Now you have room for a hide, water dish and a little decoration. They can stay in this till close to 3"

From there options can really expand....some do just put them right into the adult enclosures....this works best IME in enclosures with less clutter, as feeders have fewer hiding places. I generally put them into an intermediate enclosure by 3", which would either be a larger kritter keeper or a sterilite tub the size of a shoe box.

By 5" the adult enclosure would be needed.

Now that exo terra enclosure with the front doors can be used...but it does need to be modified. One would need to change the top to plexi or acrylic to dam the substrate as you need to lay the enclosure essentially on its back, so the front doors are now at the top. This allows you do add enough substrate to make it a safe place for a terrestrial. We've seen a few people do this and make very nice looking and functional enclosures.

Okay so I got a spare plastic tank of 30x20x20. If I put a butt load of substrate in it, she will have a happy home until she's an adult? Also, she's almost going to molt, should I wait until she's done?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The only purpose that common names serve is to confuse people about what exact species is being discussed. Scientific names are best.

You can rehouse it now. A lot of people purposely wait until they are in pre molt to rehouse them.

cold blood

Staff member
If someone told me that, I would immediately ask where tarantulas get their drinking sponges in the wild.
when i was first told about sponges, that was my exact response. Like theres thousands of sponges just laying around the south american rainforsets...lol

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So, like B.Vagans?
Yes.

And like others have said sponges are not how a Tarantula drinks.

I question the "wisdom" of this so-called breeder.

In your Tarantula's case, though, make the changes we've suggested here and it'll be good to go for the next 20 or more years.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Looks a lot better given that this is a terrestrial species.

Is there a large rock in the water dish? If so, best to remove it. No need since Tarantulas float.

The hide will work, but it is better to use one that does not "end" so to speak. A piece of cork or something that is open at the back so the Spider can burrow into it and keep going down if it wants to.

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
Looks a lot better given that this is a terrestrial species.

Is there a large rock in the water dish? If so, best to remove it. No need since Tarantulas float.

The hide will work, but it is better to use one that does not "end" so to speak. A piece of cork or something that is open at the back so the Spider can burrow into it and keep going down if it wants to.
There is no rock in the water dish, it's a rock dish so to say, it came with the sponge :wacky: but threw the sponge away.
I'm looking for a better hide but all mine are too big, and the local shops didn't have a smaller one. Would a toilet roll work? Or is paper a no no?
Will be looking for a better one :happy:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is no rock in the water dish, it's a rock dish so to say, it came with the sponge :wacky: but threw the sponge away.
I'm looking for a better hide but all mine are too big, and the local shops didn't have a smaller one. Would a toilet roll work? Or is paper a no no?
Will be looking for a better one :happy:
No , a toilet paper roll will fall apart and be a discombobulated mess soon.

You can leave what you have in there for now but try to find pieces of cork bark or something like that you can make a hide out of.