A few newbie type questions regarding Chaco Golden Knees plus some other questions

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone.

As you know, my parents have finally allowed me to get a tarantula, and I think I have found the species I want. But I wanted to ask a few questions first (if I may):

Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)
1) What is the care needs for a spiderling Chaco?
2) Is a spiderling more difficult to care for than a Juvenile?
3) Is the Chaco a good tarantula to get for a beginner?
4) Is there a specific time of year to buy a Chaco? I've been looking around on website stores in the UK and there doesn't seem to be much available at this time of year.
5) What is the Chaco's temperament like?

Regarding feeding and general care:
1) If I can't get 'pinhead' crickets for a spiderling, what else can I use?
2) What is the habitat for a spiderling, juvenile and adult Chaco?
3) If I get a spiderling, how do I go about giving it water if it is tiny?

I do hope you can help me with these questions. I've been looking around since well before my parents allowed me to actually get my first tarantula and it was actually my Mum who chose the Chaco Golden Knee over all the other 'beginner' species I showed her...it was between Chilean Rose, Mexican Red Knee and the Chaco Golden Knee.

Julia x

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Sorry Hopeful T Owner, can't see ANY words you should try reposting.

cold blood

Staff member
I thought the same thing....lot of space for zero actual questions. Something didn't work right with that op I am guessing as it was even edited for "color change". re-edit, again

Imortalis

Arachnopeon

Is a spiderling more difficult to care for than a Juvenile? : In my experience, no.

Is the Chaco a good tarantula to get for a beginner?: Great T for a beginner.

Is there a specific time of year to buy a Chaco? I've been looking around on website stores in the UK and there doesn't seem to be much available at this time of year: Can't help with that question. I can always find them for sale here.

What is the Chaco's temperament like?: Docile, laid back, not very shy, great eaters and they like to sit in the open.

If I can't get 'pinhead' crickets for a spiderling, what else can I use?: Take a small cricket and cut it in half, then offer it to the sling

What is the habitat for a spiderling, juvenile and adult Chaco?: I keep mine like a rosehair with a little more humidity.

If I get a spiderling, how do I go about giving it water if it is tiny?: I use a bottle cap with a small rock or pebble in the middle of it so the T won't fall in and drown. Fill it with water as needed.

cold blood

Staff member

Is a spiderling more difficult to care for than a Juvenile? : In my experience, no.

Is the Chaco a good tarantula to get for a beginner?: Great T for a beginner.

Is there a specific time of year to buy a Chaco? I've been looking around on website stores in the UK and there doesn't seem to be much available at this time of year: Can't help with that question. I can always find them for sale here.

What is the Chaco's temperament like?: Docile, laid back, not very shy, great eaters and they like to sit in the open.

If I can't get 'pinhead' crickets for a spiderling, what else can I use?: Take a small cricket and cut it in half, then offer it to the sling

What is the habitat for a spiderling, juvenile and adult Chaco?: I keep mine like a rosehair with a little more humidity.

If I get a spiderling, how do I go about giving it water if it is tiny?: I use a bottle cap with a small rock or pebble in the middle of it so the T won't fall in and drown. Fill it with water as needed.
Thanks, not only good answers, but at least now the questions are visible to everyone....op question area is blank on my page

Livia

Arachnopeon
I have also not been able to spot any online but at my local shop, but yes they are a wonderful species to start with! They are fairly docile with a few "finnicky" moments on occasian. If you cant get pinheads buy fruit flies online or VERY small roach nymphs.

-Livia

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Hi Op i can see your post.

Yip G,pulchripes is a brilliant first T for anyone (even long time keepers), when slings they like a hide and lightly moist substrate, when growing to juvie stage they prefer (dry sub with a bottle cap waterdish) As said they are very calm species but every T has it's own personality (you never know what you will get) same as us, keep it in a terrestrial setup (more floor space than hight) cause they can fall (not always but not worth the worry), other than that feed on small/medium crickets or if skittish (running away) kill it and place close by as it will find it.

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
1) What is the care needs for a spiderling Chaco?

Small container with airholes, a sub like peat moss, piece of moss for something to hide in, bottle cap for a dish if its about 1 inch, keep the sub wet but not soaking. Can try feeding every 1-3 days to get it out of that vulnerable -1 inch phrase.

2) Is a spiderling more difficult to care for than a Juvenile?

Imo no but they are definitely less hardy.

3) Is the Chaco a good tarantula to get for a beginner?

Yes, good colours, nice and docile, very manageable, good with handling if you want to get into that.

4) Is there a specific time of year to buy a Chaco? I've been looking around on website stores in the UK and there doesn't seem to be much available at this time of year.

No, there will be less in the colder months, but any time is good providing it isn't boiling or freezing weather.

5) What is the Chaco's temperament like?

Calm, docile, easy going, there are exceptions to this though.

Regarding feeding and general care:
1) If I can't get 'pinhead' crickets for a spiderling, what else can I use?

Mush the head of the next largest cricket, spiderlings will scavenge.

2) What is the habitat for a spiderling, juvenile and adult Chaco?

Grassland/dirt, dry areas.

3) If I get a spiderling, how do I go about giving it water if it is tiny?

Small syringe or a fine mister, wet the ground and spray a corner

4EverTarantulas

Arachnopeon
Yes except they are a very nice shiny jet black, and get a lot bigger, both good beginner spiders depending on if you want size or colour.
Wonderful! I was just wondering if it was manageable and docile. I also heard that they are aggressive eaters.

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes except they are a very nice shiny jet black, and get a lot bigger, both good beginner spiders depending on if you want size or colour.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. G. pulchripes gets larger than G. pulchra. Pulchripes get around 8" and pulchra get around 6" - 6.5" from what I hear.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey everyone.
I do hope you can help me with these questions. I've been looking around since well before my parents allowed me to actually get my first tarantula and it was actually my Mum who chose the Chaco Golden Knee over all the other 'beginner' species I showed her...it was between Chilean Rose, Mexican Red Knee and the Chaco Golden Knee.
Julia x
Interesting that your mom chose the one that gets the biggest. Good for you, you get to watch a lot of growing as it could reach 8", although like mentioned, not quite as stocky as a pulchra (I thought pulchra got to 7+"?). They grow pretty slow as well, despite ferocious the appetite.

Mine feeds like a crazy starved pitbull, tackling and even leaping onto prey, sometimes doing a barrel roll in the process. Not picky at all, nor are they intimidated by larger prey, you could even give superworms (halves or pieces when small), just crush their heads, they have substantial mandibles.

They are also quite adept at digging and moving substrate all over, back and forth. Very active and entertaining.

Enjoy!

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
If you're going with a chaco, I might recommend picking up a juvie in the 2"-3" range, so that it looks like your first tarantula is actually a tarantula. Buying a Chaco at .5" and expecting it to grow into something beautiful is going to take a LONG time. For example, my chaco is only 1 inch and is probably over a year old already, if not older. It takes them years and years to reach adulthood.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Wow! Thanks for the replies and advice.

I'll definitely be printing this page out and adding it to my 'T-file' (folder which I am currently collaborating a load of spider type stuff in it lol)

Cold blood - yes I was surprised at that as well. But Mum rules and she actually chose my favourite lol x

Julia x

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
1) What is the care needs for a spiderling Chaco? - Slightly moist substrate with moderate ventilation. If there's not enough airflow, mites and mold become an issue. If there's too much, the cage will dry out too fast. The holes must be small for sling cages.

2) Is a spiderling more difficult to care for than a Juvenile? - Absolutely, just as an infant human is more delicate than a 5 year old. But this species is hardier than most.

3) Is the Chaco a good tarantula to get for a beginner? - It's one of the best. Highly recommended.

4) Is there a specific time of year to buy a Chaco? - The best time is when you find them cheap. That'll be when people are hatching out egg sacs, or when someone's selling a larger one.

5) What is the Chaco's temperament like? - Relatively gentle and docile, but like any wild animal they're never totally predictable. They have great appetites (the opposite of G roseas, which are notoriously picky) and are 'enthusiastic' eaters. So remember they can mistake wandering fingers for prey.

1) If I can't get 'pinhead' crickets for a spiderling, what else can I use? - Many slings will accept larger, pre-killed prey items, like larger crickets and mealworms.

2) What is the habitat for a spiderling, juvenile and adult Chaco? - I keep my slings in 16 oz deli cups with a ring of small airholes around the top. Inside is an inch of slightly moist substrate with a piece of cork and/or plastic plant for cover. As they grow, I move them up to larger cages, and keep the substrate a little drier. Juveniles get 1 oz water bowls, adults get 3 oz.

3) If I get a spiderling, how do I go about giving it water if it is tiny? - Put a little long fiber spagnum in there and lightly mist it once a week or so. Don't hose down the whole cage. As they get around an inch in legspan, I use a small water bowl (lid from a 16 oz water bottle).

All beginners are strongly encouraged to visit Stan Schultz's site which is full of practical information. You should also get the latest revision of his book. This will answer almost all of your questions.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the information Poec54. I have already been going through Stan Schultz's website and I have his (and Marguerite's) book The Tarantula's Keeper's Guide - Revised Edition...as well as the information on here and other websites that have been recommended to me...so am definitely getting my research in.

Definitely going to go for a Chaco Golden Knee now....just a shame I have to wait for a while before I can finally go for it lol.

Julia x

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Down the road, Julia, you could consider a G. pulchra as well. Mine is very docile and, yes, a very aggressive eater. As soon as I put a pin head in, she's on it like hair on an ape. :)