A couple questions

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I,m really new at scorps. So I'm learning from you guys, and what I can find doing searches on this site and others.
I set up my tank with moss and cholla skeleton for hides. I'm thinking now, I should of put some dirt or something on the bottom of the tank. The scorps. seem ok with it, but I dont know.
Can scorps climb up glass? And should i put a heating source under, or by the tank? My office is around 75 degs. this time of year.
Do I put crickets in with them, and just leave them? Or take them out after 24 hrs, like T's?
I guess I should go out and buy a scorpion book, but I'm not that sure I'm going to get into it really strong ,until I know how much work its going to take. I already spend too much time on my T's. You know what I mean?
Anyway, anything you can tell me would be wonderful.

Thanks, Ernie

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ernie, I have not seen or heard of a scorpion that could climb glass, not sure if those smaller guys could climb the silicone in each corner of your enclosure though. does the enclosure have a top on it?
I prefer to put substrate in my scorpions enclosures, I use a 50/50 mix of forest bed and clean play sand. what you have set up looks fine too though.
crickets might be hard to fish out of that setup if not eaten right away, I would be leery of trying to fish them out with a "hot" sp. in there with them.
do you have cholla in your area? at the reptile shows and pet stores cholla cactus skeleton sells for around 10.00 a foot, and it is usually cut into sections. I found some 4 and 5' long multibranched sections at that concrete dinosaur tourist trap by palm springs, the cost there was about 1.00 a foot.
Ed

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ed,
Its laying all over place here. I mean I could get a pickup truck laod in no time, 15 mins from my house. It has to be cleaned up a little, but thats no problem. I make most of my T hides out of it.
I just cut it on my bandsaw.
If you want some PM me. ;)

Ernie

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Bark scorpions(Centruroides spp.) of various species have been know to be able to climb up the silicone in the corners. Make sure you have a snug lid with no cracks/spaces around the edge...scorps are pretty adept at squeezing through thin openings. I have also heard that you can put a piece of clear packing tape over the cornerd to make it more difficult for them to climb out...have never tried this though. Also make sure any bark or objects you put into their enclosure are more than one bodylength away from the edges or lid of the enclosure to keep them from getting out.

John
];')