1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Couple Questions...

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by miss moxie, Oct 8, 2017.

1. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I know that scorpions will bulge a bit (or a lot) when they're in pre-molt, but will they darken too? If not, any idea why my B. jacksoni scorpling is darker than the other one?

[​IMG]

Here is the one, who ate for me today!

[​IMG]

And here is the other, who is much darker and wasn't interested in the food I left for it.

My other question is what is on my C. gracilis female's tail? At least I -think- this is one of the females, looking at the length of her tail segments.

[​IMG]

She's a WC specimen so I thought maybe she got into a fight, and that's blood or damage? She came that way so I know she's not fighting with the other C. gracilis. She also looks to be missing a foot.

[​IMG]

Scorpions don't have the regeneration powers of Ts, right? So she won't get that foot back? It doesn't hinder her at all but I'm just curious.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

PA
    Looks like you have a normal coloration B jacksoni and a dark colored b jacksoni aka chocolate morph

Ive never seen a scorp regenerate any limb and missing a foot probably isnt anything to worry about. Those marks on her tail would concern me more
    looks like something has been grabbing her pretty roughly

3. miss moxie

I hope the chocolate form isn't uncommon, then. :( One of the DOA was dark like that too.

She definitely came like that. I just checked my pictures from when I first got them in there, and I can see her tail has those same marks. So I don't think it's any of the scorpions she's with right now that are picking on her so that means unless they start fighting, whatever it was won't happen again. I'll keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I've seen people pick up scorpions by their tails but I'm never gonna do that.

Will she have an issue molting, because of the pre-existing damage?

4. Scorpionluva

PA
    B jacksoni seem to be uncommon in the hobby anymore but yeah when they were common - the chocolate seem to be a little harder to find i had hundreds of the normal color but only a handful of chocolates so :( i feel your pain there

Your injured female is adult right ? If so the damage thats there on her tail may heal but she wont molt again
    Even though C gracilis can be very communal there is always a risk of fights and cannibalism. The reason i said her tail would be a bigger concern is that scorpions expel their waste from their tail. Might be best to keep her alone for a bit so you can monitor her better with no risks of the others fighting with her even if no fights have been seen yet. Hope she heals for ya and has some babies for ya :)

5. drapion

drapion Arachnobaron Old Timer

Looks like someone grabbed her a little to hard with some tweezers and damaged her. As long as she can still poo and it doesnt create a blockage she should be good. Keep an eye on her.

6. miss moxie

Well then I guess hopefully I can keep this one alive and find an adult B. jacksoni of the opposite sex to breed them in the future, and see if I can get some more chocolates then. What a bummer. :(

Yeah they were sold as adults so maybe they have reached their final instar. I know that there's always a risk of fights and cannibalism, I've sort of been obsessive about making sure all five are there and doing well. What sort of signs should I look for, with her? Sluggishness? Abdominal bloating? I hope she's okay, she's the one that comes out and sits on the bark the most. Is there anything I can even do if she can't poop?

I don't know why people grab scorpions by their tail when they're such a vital part of their body.

7. Scorpionluva

PA
    I think those marks on her tail were caused by another scorpion or another animal.( being that they are WC ) You would have to use a lot of pressure with a pair of tweezers or hemostats to cause that kind of damage. Normal rubber tipped long tweezers wouldnt do that kind of damage unless someone really meant to do harm to the scorpion. Alot of people use to pick scorpions up by their tail ( me included) but now i use the catch cup method which eliminates any possible harm to The scorp or yourself. Ive had numerous scorps flip right up and try to grab me while i "tailed" them
    Isolating her into her own tank will let you know if shes pooping and it should be much easier to see if she is also. I couldnt tell ya what to do if she isnt pooping though. Ive never encountered that problem yet.

8. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Color morph like stated.

When approaching molt they dull out like Tarantulas.
    More vibrant post molt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mila

Mila Arachnosquire Active Member

yes bulking is pretty common in scorpions and often it even looks unhealthy like theyre about to pop. one of my H.Cyaneus is so swollen her body is now a tube shape instead of the usual flat. dulling is also really common, as the exoskeleton starts to seperate fluid enters between the new and old skeleton and blurs the colours

• Like Like x 1