A Couple of Enclosure Questions Before I Pick Up my First T this Weekend

Claxx

Arachnopeon
First of all, apologies in advanced if any of these have been covered to death.

Since it's too cold for shipping Tarantulas at the moment I've decided to go pick up my first tarantula at my nearest reputable exotic pet shop (can confirm they are good at what they do) and I was just wondering a few things

I've currently got an enclosure setup (still to be set up, though)

I've got a 5L food container (12Hx24Wx24D (cm))
I'm aiming for juvenile B Hamorii but if I see an adult female I'd probably want to get it, would that be too small? Or could she at least stay in there for a day or so before I get another enclosure made? If not I'll just pick up a KK and pick up the T the next day.

For ventilation, if that little food container can suffice, is it just a matter of using a soldering iron to create holes at the top? Does there need to be any sort of intricacy or method to it?

Lastly, will she freak out while being in the same room as my guitar amps? I know they pretty much work off of vibration so I would like to know if she'd be better in my other room.

Thanks in advance!

P.S I'm super excited and I owe it to this forum, maybe I can get my profile picture updated!

P.P.S Didn't realize how common "a couple of quick questions" titles were

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
The enclosure size seems adequate. Depending on the suze of the Juvenile it might even be considered oversized

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I think the enclosure is plenty big even for an 8 inch t. Don't overthink it. As long as the height in the enclosure isnt too high for a safe fall, I think youll be ok. Put plenty of dirt in it and fill the water up once in a while. A B Hamori is pretty tough. My god they grow slow. You will be fine

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's okay for juvie at that size, but definitely not a suitable size for a an adult. A smoldering iron would work, i use a dremel tool for drilling holes, but it doesn't really matter. Good ventilation allows good air flow for the T. and the enclosure. For sounds, it would depend on how loud is "loud", if objects can vibrate from those sounds or something of the sort, then yes, I would move it to somewhere else, just to avoid stressing it.
Depending on the suze of the Juvenile it might even be considered oversized
It's not oversized for a juvie, the measurements in cm not inches if you look at the measurements.

I think the enclosure is plenty big even for an 8 inch t. Don't overthink it. As long as the height in the enclosure isnt too high for a safe fall, I think youll be ok. Put plenty of dirt in it and fill the water up once in a while. A B Hamori is pretty tough. My god they grow slow. You will be fine
measurements in cm

Last edited by a moderator:

Claxx

Arachnopeon
It's okay for juvie at that size, but definitely not a suitable size for a an adult.
[...]
It's not oversized for a juvie, the measurements in cm not inches if you look at the measurements.
I think the enclosure is plenty big even for an 8 inch t.
Yeah I might have not been clear enough on the measurements since I know it's very natural for people on here to read dimensions as inches.

smoldering iron would work, i use a dremel tool for drilling holes, but it doesn't really matter. Good ventilation allows good air flow for the T.
In terms of getting good air flow, is there any sort of method? Or is it just a matter of making sure that there is holes for ventilation?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
In terms of getting good air flow, is there any sort of method? Or is it just a matter of making sure that there is holes for ventilation?
Not really a method, but more of a necessity for a T. to thrive. So basically it's just a matter of making sure it has some kind of ventilation for a B. hamorii.

Claxx

Arachnopeon
Not really a method, but more of a necessity for a T. to thrive. So basically it's just a matter of making sure it has some kind of ventilation for a B. hamorii.
I guess I'm overthinking it, thanks anyway!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It's okay for juvie at that size, but definitely not a suitable size for a an adult. A smoldering iron would work, i use a dremel tool for drilling holes, but it doesn't really matter. Good ventilation allows good air flow for the T. and the enclosure. For sounds, it would depend on how loud is "loud", if objects can vibrate from those sounds or something of the sort, then yes, I would move it to somewhere else, just to avoid stressing it.

Depends on what "juvenile" is in size.
I know that was in inches. It is almost 6x12x12 which would be considered large by many for a 2" specimen, which is where some would say the "juvenile" stage starts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P.P.S Didn't realize how common "a couple of quick questions" titles were
Do you know what's more common than all the common questions here on AB....The number of people who don't bother to look the very answers to these common questions. For every common question, there's probably 100 people who have asked the same question and haven't bothered to search for the answer.

I don't mean you.

I keep AF NWs in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes. large

Claxx

Arachnopeon
Do you know what's more common than all the common questions here on AB....The number of people who don't bother to look the very answers to these common questions. For every common question, there's probably 100 people who have asked the same question and haven't bothered to search for the answer.

I don't mean you.

I keep AF NWs in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes. large
Yeah I tried to stay clear of that, while I did find a few similar questions being asked on here they were one or two missing details.

The 'sort by first message likes/number of hiews' has been my best friend the past couple of days

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I would say the container is absolutely fine for a juvenile, and will be ok for quite a few moults until it approaches sub-adult size.

For ventilation, you wouldn't need to go too mad for a B Hamorii as they require a dry enclosure (with a full water dish at all times), so it's not as important as it would be for some other Ts. Just put 4/5 holes in the side of the container, then the same on the opposing side, so you get some cross ventilation.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Before you start adding holes, I’d suggest you get the spider first to see how big or small it is. Spiders can fit through surprisingly small spaces. If the carapace can fit, everything else will fit. I’ve made the mistake of setting up an enclosure only to bring the sling home and realize the holes I drilled were too large.

And yes, B. hamorii requires dry conditions with water available. Cross ventilation is certainly a good idea. And I have also found that adding top ventilation helps keep the enclosure dry.

Noise levels can certainly affect a spider. To what extent, I have no idea. But if you have a quieter spot available, go with that. Couldn’t hurt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I tried to stay clear of that, while I did find a few similar questions being asked on here they were one or two missing details.

The 'sort by first message likes/number of hiews' has been my best friend the past couple of days
You may know, but you can use google to search within any website, you will get far more results, and faster than using AB's search engine.