A. chalcodes

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
If a 2.5 inch A. chalcodes has been alive for at least 2 years and is being sold as "unsexed," does that mean most likely it could be a male?

Worth a purchase or no? Not knowing the certainty and all.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Aphonopelmas grow ridiculously slow. So it's possible whoever owns it now has never had it molt, or it's a molt muncher and never could check. Either way, because of the slow growth rate you would have either sex for a long time. It depends on how much they are asking and whether they are a reputable breeder. I got my 3" female from netbug for 45$. As far as I know they still have some.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Yeah $45 is what is being asked for this specimen. I think regardless I'm going to pick this one up because I don't have a single American-American species in my collection.

Goodbye N64 and Guardians of the Galaxy comic book collection...hello new spider!:happy:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If a 2.5 inch A. chalcodes has been alive for at least 2 years and is being sold as "unsexed," does that mean most likely it could be a male?
It really depends on the seller. (Read reviews!)

I'm sure there are some dishonest sellers who will try to pass off known (or suspected) males as unsexed.

On the other hand, if the seller has a lot of inventory, it's possible that he is just not taking the time to sex everything. (Consider how time-consuming it is to process exuviae for sexing.)

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Yeah that's not a good deal at all. An unsexed 2.5" should cost you about 20$. Aphonopelmas are cheap. I found a 3" A. seemanni for 25$ the other day. If you are in the states and willing to pay 45$, I'd suggest looking for a confirmed female. Netbug and Ken the Bug Guy both have them.