A.chalcodes Q

XxStormsWebxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long does it take for a A.chalcodes to reach adulthood? I Purchase mine last year and it is still in its spiderling stage.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
as with most Aphonopelma, a very long time indeed!
They are very slow growing, a female could probably take as long as 5-10 years to reach maturity, depending on conditions....

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Verrrry slooowly. I have some Aphonopelma wichitanums and Aphonopelma sp. 'carlsbad' spiderlngs that emerged from their respective sacs in July of '02. They're still about 3/8 inch. John

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tarantulakeeper said:
Verrrry slooowly. I have some Aphonopelma wichitanums and Aphonopelma sp. 'carlsbad' spiderlngs that emerged from their respective sacs in July of '02. They're still about 3/8 inch. John
Man, I thought my Flagstaff oranges from May 2002 were slow. They're at least up to about an inch, I feel so blessed for such speedy growth ;)

As for the original question, I'd put Holley's estimate at more like 10+ years for a female even in captivity. As another comparison, I've got an A. anax that was about 2" when I got it 2 years ago, it's now about 2.5" and has only moulted once in that time. All around these are very slow growing tarantulas no matter what conditions you keep them under.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Sometimes even glaciers move fast as well ;) Fastest growing Aphono I have has been "Yucatan Rust Rump". I got her almost 2yr ago at ½" and now she's 3". By far the slowest grower has been "New Mexican Blond"... I hope I've got some spider loving family members when I die, as I know some of, if not most are going to live longer than me, and I will need to "leave" them to someone :cool: :D