A. Chalcodes is to S. Calceatum as ____ is to ____!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
as :shy: is to :vamp:.
as :bucktooth: is to :cool:.
as :lurking: is to :rage:.

Is that about right?

Because I'm thinking about a swap with Tia, and I just want to make sure I've got my mind wrapped around this option. It's totally cracking me up!

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You are considering to trade an A.chalcodes for a S.calceatum?
Not sure what you are keeping now, but if you're relatively new, A.chalcodes relates to S.calceatum like a fruitfly to a japanese hornet....

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't know your experience or species, as you have nothing listed, but S. calceatum.......... hope you have owned more serious OWs, like Poki's, not Ceratogyrus. It's like E. sp. Red jumping into a Poki next.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Yep, I keep fast old world arboreals along with my local Rust Rump "golden retrievers." I'm truly touched by y'all's concern, though. :) :) :) :) :)

I'm also a venomous snake mover. If the fire department is busy, the neighbors call me to relocate rattle snakes and our gorgeous Sonoran coral snakes that have wandered into unsafe areas out onto the Tonto National Forest here in New River. Believe me, I get it about careful.

My thing is I don't know if I want to commit to housing a very large arboreal that one almost never sees. It's one thing when they're cute little slings, but these guys grow up! And up! And up! :confused:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
You know, she's also got a P muticus sling surplus to need. They are at least slower-growing, and I've got more room for terrestrials than I do for arborials right now. That might be, as Sir Terry Pratchett would put it, "the smart monkey choice."

To be honest, I'm just looking for an excuse to meet Tia and give her one of these extra juveniles. She seems like a great person, and I only know one or two other people with tarantulas in the state. I would just like for her to have a bigger chalcodes specimen before she gets old enough to apply for Social Security. I probably shouldn't put it that way, for all I know Tia's 85! :wideyed: Remember that old New Yorker cartoon... "On the internet no one can tell you're a dog." :wacky:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd save my money and get a P. rufilata if you want large arboreal.

Venomous snake-- not the same as Ts and vice versa you know that. Especially a coral snake, not exactly a black mamba. Corals are relatively easy compared to many other hots.

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
it’s like comparing apple and ham i guess. totally different but if you have ow experience go ahead and get s calceatum. When i was starting the hobby my first ow ts was obt and the lady gave me h maculata as freebie. lol. with proper care and research you’ll handle the s calceatum well. good luck nice ts btw :)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I'd save my money and get a P. rufilata if you want large arboreal.

Venomous snake-- not the same as Ts and vice versa you know that. Especially a coral snake, not exactly a black mamba. Corals are relatively easy compared to many other hots.
Ain't that the truth! I'm not going to sidebar the conversation beyond saying that we've had a coral snake that hangs out on our front porch for years. We only get occasional sightings when we drive up late at night from the grocery or something, and he's such a snoozy beautiful thing that we just sort of wait for him to slowly glide out of the way and get on with our coming and going. Not exactly a teleporter!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My general guidline for answering questions like this is, if your unsure that you are prepared air on the side of caution and wait...

If you have kept and are comfortable rehousing species like P.irminia then you can handle an S.cal,IMO..

It's not a question any of us can answer for you.. You have to decide whether S.calceatum is a species you can deal with comfortably and confidently..

Good luck with whatever you decide..

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I’m jealous that you might be getting a S. calceatum. I can’t wait to get one but I know for a fact that I’m not ready for that kind of T yet, still working my way up. Congrats though

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just visit Tia! Who needs an excuse to visit a fellow keeper? The breeder i buy from lives too far away or else I'd be spending a lot of time just chatting and admiring his collection :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ain't that the truth! I'm not going to sidebar the conversation beyond saying that we've had a coral snake that hangs out on our front porch for years. We only get occasional sightings when we drive up late at night from the grocery or something, and he's such a snoozy beautiful thing that we just sort of wait for him to slowly glide out of the way and get on with our coming and going. Not exactly a teleporter!
I know some non-hots that are more likely to strike than a coral snake.

cold blood

Staff member
Chalcodes is like throwing a paper airplane...S. cal is like piloting a jet with malfunctioning steering unputs.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
A. Chalcodes is to S. Calceatum as ____ is to ____!

A. Chalcodes is to S. Calceatum as chalk is to cheese!

At the end of the day the decision is entirely yours, and yours alone, if you get one just know these guys are seriously hot!

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I always see mine. I would recommend it definitely. They are a gorgeous species,just a bit nutty sometimes.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I always see mine. I would recommend it definitely. They are a gorgeous species,just a bit nutty sometimes.
I find that all the very best people, regardless of their species, are gorgeous but just a bit nutty sometimes.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
You say you've had experience with OW arboreals. What species are we talking about?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
H. Macs, Pokies, and OBTs, which I keep semi-arboreal. I also keep Taps and Psalmies, in terms of quick NW species.

Last edited: