A. chalcodes (Arizona Blonde) housing

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bob the Spider, our Arizona Blonde is growing. He molted about a month ago, and we got him in December. Everything is going great with him. He comes out at night and roams around, hasn't refused a meal, and has generally been a super easy going T.

I want to upgrade his terrarium, but I do have some questions/concerns. I have two options for size, one is a 5.5 gallon aquarium, the other is a 10 gallon. I plan on blacking out 3 sides of whichever tank I use.

I plan on building a hide/tunnel/cave system out of styrofoam and grout, with the tunnel going down and the hide area being exposed to the front of the tank. I want to be able to peek into his hide and just make sure all is going well, without disturbing all of his hard work. I plan to place magnets on either side of the hide (hidden by grout and such) to attach a lightweight fake rock to the outside of the tank. Exoterra had a product like this a few years ago, but it was heavy resin, and not that attractive.

The magnets aren't going to interfere with him in any way, are they? I feel like they wouldn't, but I don't want to do something that would mess with him. Sorry if that sounds... crazy.

My other major concern is the height of the tank and him falling. I can make the coco coir deeper, or add rock outcroppings to make it less likely that he'll fall. Should I stick with the 5.5 gallon? He's our first T, and I worry. I want to have a nice tank to look at, we have him in our bedroom so that he's away from the dogs and the cats.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
That's a good idea, actually.

I personally would just lure it out with a stick, if you drag it slowly enough nearby, they will come out and follow it. That way you can lure it out, then use a chopstick, or something to remove old spoiled food wrapped in silk, without damaging the hide. Just make sure the T is out of the enclosure, first.. :laughing:

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now I'm thinking that I might make a magnetized lid for the hide as well. Pop the lid off, clean it out, pop it back on. That way Bob won't throw a fit that I moved his dirt. That was one thing I didn't think of. =)