1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit worried here..Avic related.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Michael Livote, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Michael Livote

Michael Livote Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Okay, I just got in 2 different female avic's today, one a 2.5" avic.avic M1 and the other a 5.5" avic.avic M6, a.metallica. I'm worried about the big girl. Ever since I rehoused her around 4 hours ago she's not really moved much if at all. The transfer couldn't have went smoother, no resistance and no real movement other than her walking out of the deli container she was all scrunched up in. Unfortunately, despite a few half hearted tries by her, she really couldn't stick well enough to the sides of my glass enclosure, sliding down to the substrate each time. I figured she was exhausted from being squeezed into that container and the short plane trip and left her alone to see if she recovers. She's still on the bottom in the substrate and not moving much if at all. Other than me noticing a bald spot on the top of her abdomen, she looks fine. Am I just worrying too much? The other one is climbing and even jumping a bit and seems to be adjusting well. These are almost identical enclosures, btw. Temperature and humidity are fine as well. Never had arboreal's before, just being thorough here. Thanks!

The pic is of her as I type this. IMG_1012.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    From my experiences, tarantulas to settle into new enclosure, environment, it could take days, weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Livote

Jeez...as I'm typing this she just had her biggest burst of energy yet and she tried to climb up the side of the tank again, but unfortunately she didn't make it too far and she fell off again. Thankfully it was over the water dish and she just looked embarrassed, lol. I think with a bit of time she will be okay, just a new arboreal parent being worried here :nailbiting:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid Arachnopeon Active Member

I have a one that did the same, kept falling in her glass enclosure (exoterra). I’m assuming it’s in premolt, so she got moved in a smaller container where she was less likely to fall. 1-day later, she webbed the entire container. I’m expecting her to molt soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michael Livote

Yep, definitely in pre-molt. I finally got a good look at her and her abdomen is dark, she's very close. I will leave her in there so as not to stress her anymore than she's already been the poor little lady. She's trying to web up a spot by the water dish already :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Make sure the spider has things to grab onto at the top of the tank, glass isn’t easy to climb

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Livote

Shes got plants up there, but she needs help getting to them so I'm adding bark and removing the huge pieces of driftwood she seems to be ignoring....it's a project for sure, gotta get her out of there so I can do it. Got a friend helping me now :)

EDIT: Thankfully we got it done without the stress of having to remove her, that made me feel loads better!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

For you, who knows what a T thinks.

Classic Avic defensive position

Premolt w/out question

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Livote

After a quick and thorough redesign of her enclosure by removing all the driftwood and replacing it with all the cork bark I had lying around, she immediately took to it and started properly climbing and she's already spun quite a bit of web to help her with her molt.....whew! Glad it worked out and look forward to a successful molt hopefully soon :)

IMG_1034.jpg

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Why is the cork on the ground for an ARBOREAL animal???:rolleyes:

That's no way for an Avic to thrive. They like to be up top. ;)

11. Michael Livote

Actually, that's around halfway up the glass, it's the lowest part of the bark piece that you are seeing. All that I had was medium sized pieces (and not even flat ones at that...) and I needed to put something in there to prevent her from killing herself climbing most of the way up the glass and falling off...it was painful to watch!! This stopped her from falling and that was the most important thing. I have no other enclosures at this location so I had to improvise, and fast. She was falling at a rate of 3-4 times every half an hour, if it continued she really would have hurt or even killed herself. I did what I had to do and it's working....good enough for now.

Do understand I just got her in this afternoon and it's been a pretty rough day for her and then some.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Avics in pre-molt frequently lose gripping power on smooth vertical surfaces. This could be because the tarsal pads are wearing out, or it could be that they just have less sensitivity as their new exoskeletons develop beneath.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Michael Livote

Thanks for the heads up on that...but it's something I unfortunately had to learn all at once in the span of a few hours last night and it nearly got my poor Bertha killed :( Despite all of the reading up on arboreal's I did in the last few weeks this was never mentioned once and therefore it was something I simply wasn't prepared for. I never experienced this with any of my terrestrials so I was really caught with my pants down so to speak.....Thankfully it all happened at a time I was home and could do something about it. She seems to have found a good spot well off the substrate to web up well (she was really busy overnight!!). I'll offer her a cricket with my bamboo tongs and see if she takes it, if not I'll just leave her to her molt and hope it all goes well :)

14. Surfing Tigress

Surfing Tigress Arachnosquire Active Member

Difficulty on the glass is really common in arboreals when molting... their pads aren't sturdy which makes sense when you think about the fact they are separating from the inside. These guys are designs for trees and are evolved to handle falls better than other Ts; not that they can't get hurt but they are far less susceptible than a terrestrial with a large heavy abdomen. Give your little girl time and she will figure it out; they are smart and its a new enclosure that just happened to not be the best place to try to explore while molting. She will most likely web up, molt and then go to town climbing the glass and bark :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Livote

She's been a Daredevil since getting rehoused,lol. But she's finally settling a bit. No molting yet but soon I hope. Thanks for chiming in :)

16. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I would have flipped that wood so the wider part was at the top.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Livote

As soon as she molts I'll do a rearrange, I'm just trying to leave her alone till then.

• Like Like x 1