A. Avicularia upside down in water bowl. Newbie, help!

Lerica

Arachnopeon
Update: A.avicularia is up and running around, but she keeps trying to climb and keeps falling because she can't stick to the glass anymore, why can't she stick to the glass??

Lerica

Arachnopeon
Update: A.avicularia is up and running around, but she keeps trying to climb and keeps falling because she can't stick to the glass anymore, why can't she stick to the glass??
Now she is sticking up on the walls, i just dont know whats going on and i am freaked out.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its floating in the water dish on its back...even if it is molting, it needs to be removed from the water pronto.

As the book lungs are on top, it should be alive.
Where did OP say it was "floating"? Did I miss something? I believe what OP said was that the spider was in the water dish - not that it was necessarily in water - which is why I asked how much water, if any, was in the dish. As I said above, my B. albopilosum has molted in her water dish before - but she also fills said dish with substrate, so floating is a non-issue.

While I would definitely agree that a spider floating in any significant amount of water should be removed from it, if the dish is empty or very nearly so, moving the spider sounds like an unnecessary risk.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Now she is sticking up on the walls, i just dont know whats going on and i am freaked out.
Avicularia are arboreal, they are most comfortable high off the ground. she may be in premolt if shes having trouble climbing, once she molts she'll be able to climb well again. really look into remodeling that cage though, a hide should always be provided.

cold blood

Staff member
She just moved so she isnt dead. There is some water in there.
@chanda
If the t is in the water dish and there is some water in it, and ts float (and I tend to assume there is water in the dish, cause if there isn't, what's the point of a water dish?)...well...you see how I came to that conclusion.:D

You're right though, upside down in a dry dish is far less of a concern...I assumed that the big emergency was the fact it was in water...lol.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
As they progress in pre-molt, losing grip is pretty common.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
You need to change that substrate ASAP if she's in premolt. Imagine a soft postmolt spider laying on that prickly mess..... no bueno!!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I think your book is the Tarantula Keepers Guide. While the info on anatomy is accurate, the rest of the book is quite outdated.
I'll post some specific links in a minute on how to care for an Avicularia species and the G.rosea.

Avicularia:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

G.rosea/porteri:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ch...w-to-really-take-care-of-your-g-rosea.226727/
Yep, definitely reading TKG... Arboreals were never Stan's strength.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I can't find how large your T might be. But I recommend that you get your T a second container from Sterilite, Rubbermaid, etc. that can provide a temporary home until you redo your favored container. You can always move it back after the molt period is done.

You may also be able to put a layer of coco fiber over the top of that bad substrate without removing the Avic as a short term solution until molt process is complete. You could place an unattached fake plant into there to give the avic something to make it feel more safe down near the substrate until it molts. Hobby Lobby has lots of choices. Make sure you wash any addition thoroughly. Your enclosure is currently unacceptably empty.

Via Granado

Arachnopeon
I haven't moved her in case she is molting, i opened the door once but only for a second. She seemed fine yesterday and i put a cricket in there the other day and its gone now. She is upside down in the water bowl, very still. I fear i may have murdered her. I only have one other T, a G. rosea and she molted regularly. I dont know when my A. avicularia went into the bowl, I've only ever seen her go on the floor a couple of times. Is this normal? Have I murdered her? The back legs are all curled toward the top of her body. I love her I'm so sad.
I know that was 3 years ago but it could have been the habitat was to dry with no humidity Tarantula's need humidity to molt properly. She should spritz everything in the enclosure, except the tarantula, put a towel or plexy covering over three quarters of the lid to increase humidity, and maybe turn down the heat a little

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I know that was 3 years ago but it could have been the habitat was to dry with no humidity Tarantula's need humidity to molt properly. She should spritz everything in the enclosure, except the tarantula, put a towel or plexy covering over three quarters of the lid to increase humidity, and maybe turn down the heat a little
*grabs popcorn*