A. Avicularia upside down in water bowl. Newbie, help!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20170213_201103219_HDR.jpg
*face palm*
least theres enough vent. :rofl:
OP, do not put it in a ICU. those are death traps for Avics, who require high ventilation, a water dish, and a lot of webbing points to attach their hide to. Set it up similar to mine.

cold blood

Staff member
0201161540.jpg 2016102895170756.jpg It needs a revision ASAP....your set up is almost certainly the cause of the ts downward spiral. That's a veritable prison cell. You want vertical wood, something not only for it to climb on, but also spread out on and hunt from. Get a bunch of plastic plants then, and surround the middle to top half of that wood (which is where it will want to make a home). Change the sub out to something more forgiving...as mentioned, topsoil, peat, coco fiber, eco earth or jungle mix are all suitable to use.

Lerica

Arachnopeon
least theres enough vent. :rofl:
OP, do not put it in a ICU. those are death traps for Avics, who require high ventilation, a water dish, and a lot of webbing points to attach their hide to.
Okay what should i do with her?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Heres more examples of avic setups to go along with the others.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
We didnt move her, i left her alone.
Look at @cold blood's containers. That's how you keep them.
Those wood chips can cut her open if she falls on them. Like you tripping and landing on broken glass.
Listen to the people here, not some full of hot air person.
If you want her to live, depend on the folks here.
How are you keeping the Grammostola porteri?

Lerica

Arachnopeon
My Chilean Rose is in similar condition, though she is fine. She dug out underneath her hide and doesnt come out very often.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My Chilean Rose is in similar condition, though she is fine. She dug out underneath her hide and doesnt come out very often.
Ts need to have either/and peat moss, ecoearth, nontreated top soil.
They're not reptiles.
Not jumping you, just worried about your little beasties. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Might as well get a look at that one, too. For that one though this type of housing isn't appropriate because the front doors don't allow for enough sub to make it safe. If its on those wood chips, it needs to be changed before you have a problem...be proactive, don't wait till there is an issue.

Are you using heating sources?

Last edited:

Lerica

Arachnopeon
Ts need to have either/and peat moss, ecoearth, nontreated top soil.
They're not reptiles.
Not jumping you, just worried about your little beasties. ;)
Thank you dor specifying lol but yes absolutely i will be changing it out asap.

Lerica

Arachnopeon
Might as well get a look at that one, too. For that one though this type of housing isn't appropriate because the front doors don't allow for enough sub to make it safe. If its on those wood chips, it needs to be changes before you have a problem...be proactive, don't wait till there is an issue.

Are you using heating sources?
No, i did have a heating pad for the Rose but my book said they dont need one. She has total woodchips, and has been webbing it up especially where the entrance of her hide is, but thats pretty recent. She even pushed up a little pile of them in the corner. I know its not a good substrate for her, its just the only thing i had at the time and i didnt know any better and she seems to be doing fine in it. She wont come out though.

Lerica

Arachnopeon
No, i did have a heating pad for the Rose but my book said they dont need one. She has total woodchips, and has been webbing it up especially where the entrance of her hide is, but thats pretty recent. She even pushed up a little pile of them in the corner. I know its not a good substrate for her, its just the only thing i had at the time and i didnt know any better and she seems to be doing fine in it. She wont come out though.
I thought ab

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Now this is completely the opposite of the avic (that set up would actually be an improvement on the current avic enclosure)...where you need plants and such higher up, its equally as critical that you don't have this with a terrestrial. Having those plants elevated like that only encourages dangerous climbing.

For this species though, its usually best to not have much cover, being that they have an incredibly low food requirement and refusals are common, having cover in this enclosure will only give crickets and such a place to hide...from the t, and from you.

Fill that halfway full with one of the better subs mentioned and you should be good to go there. Good to see its not a front opening enclosure. Great to hear its not being heated....they are also one of the most tolerant to cool temps as well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought ab
This is all wrong too. What's in there a terrestrial? Terrestrials need to have sub no more than 1.5X their DLS from top of sub to ceiling of tank. Terrestrials, especially heavy ones like Rose Hairs, Brachypelma etc, are subject to fail injury or fail death in containers like yours.

I keep quite a few of my AFs in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, they stack, are clear (important to me) and have a nice side door for watering, and one for dropping in prey. It's a convenient option, great for Ts that flick frequently, like my AF boehmei.

For Avics up to 3", something like this