A. Avicularia not eating

JanieT

Arachnopeon
I recently bought an A. Avicularia and she's only eaten once since I've had her. I've had her about 2 months. After introducing her to her new habitat I gave her a week to get settled and fed her a cricket. I'm worried about her since she hasn't eaten since then. I've tried crickets and dubia roaches, I've also tried feeding with tweezers and just leaving her alone with the prey items. I've been trying to feed her then waiting a week then trying again. She looks so skinny :( Any advice?

This is her and her enclosure .

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Ventilation is incredibly important for an avic....where is the ventilation on this enclosure?

cold blood

Staff member
It needs a better home.

Top ventilation alone is inadequate, especially for an Avicularia species.....not to mention the potential danger a mesh top presents.

JanieT

Arachnopeon
It needs a better home.

Top ventilation alone is inadequate, especially for an Avicularia species.....not to mention the potential danger a mesh top presents.
Ok thank you. I had no idea the mesh screen lids were dangerous for them.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agree about ventilation. Plus, your avic is at the bottom -- not seeing the webbing I would expect in a well-housed avic -- esp after 2 months. Avics usually spend their days near the top of enclosure. Were these pix taken today or 2 months ago when you first set up its enclosure???

JanieT

Arachnopeon
Agree about ventilation. Plus, your avic is at the bottom -- not seeing the webbing I would expect in a well-housed avic -- esp after 2 months. Avics usually spend their days near the top of enclosure. Were these pix taken today or 2 months ago when you first set up its enclosure???
It spends a lot of time on the bottom but sometimes roams around the sides. It has only made a small amount of webbing down at the bottom in the back of the tank. It definitely doesn't act like it should. This is my first arboreal. My B. smithi has been happy and healthy for 4 years.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I can't see the water dish. Does it have one? It can't eat if it's dehydrated.
And like the others already said... the lack of ventilation is definitely something you have to address.

JanieT

Arachnopeon
Yeah
I can't see the water dish. Does it have one? It can't eat if it's dehydrated.
And like the others already said... the lack of ventilation is definitely something you have to address.
Yeah it's attached to the back wall. I'll definitely be getting a new habitat that's designed for more ventilation.