A. Avicularia flipping, doesnt molt, gets back up

boina

Lady of the mites
That enclosure looks pretty deadly for an Avic - it's by far too moist. All those live plants give off a lot of moisture via evaporation and create an extremely unhealthy environment for an Avic, especially since you also need to water them. If you want plants you also need wind to be on the safe side. Some Avics survive and then their owners brag (e.g. on youtube) about their nice enclosures. Then other people try to replicate it and are very surprised when their Avics get sick.

I would never ever use live plants in an Avic enclosure and especially not that many and especially not on this "natural" soil. I mean you have constantly high humidity from the plants + organic components in the soil... you know what grows exceedingly well in there? All kinds of possibly pathogenic bacteria. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your spider - maybe she will survive or maybe she won't.

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
It doesn't look like there's a lot cross ventilation. Where's she getting air? From a mesh top? Could she have fallen from that?
Its a really fine mesh, shes never had trouble walking on it before but I think I figured out what was wrong because shes all back to normal now and hasnt flipped again. Im going to be making a new post about it

Update

My avic was flipping on her back and almost curling and I didn't understand why. When she did this I was over break at my home and I ended up taking her home over break. My home is 66 degrees in the day and 64 at night making the house generally pretty cold. Since I've been back to university and am in the dorms where the ambient temperature is above 70 degrees, My avic has begun to climb the walls of the enclosure again, hasn't been on the ground since and most importantly, hasn't curled once.

From what I've concluded, because there were no other changes to her environment and the enclosure was mostly dry (except for in areas where I had overflown the water bowl), I believe the change in temperature is what caused the peculiar behavior. If there are any other changes, I will update you all

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Update

My avic was flipping on her back and almost curling and I didn't understand why. When she did this I was over break at my home and I ended up taking her home over break. My home is 66 degrees in the day and 64 at night making the house generally pretty cold. Since I've been back to university and am in the dorms where the ambient temperature is above 70 degrees, My avic has begun to climb the walls of the enclosure again, hasn't been on the ground since and most importantly, hasn't curled once.

From what I've concluded, because there were no other changes to her environment and the enclosure was mostly dry (except for in areas where I had overflown the water bowl), I believe the change in temperature is what caused the peculiar behavior. If there are any other changes, I will update you all
Yeah, avics are one of the more sensitive genera when it comes to lower temps.