A. Avicularia flipping, doesnt molt, gets back up

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
Okay so I've noticed some strange behavior from my A. Avicularia. My avic is a sexed female. She last ate during the start of December and her last molt was in october
My avic will flip onto her back as if she were molting and stays there for a while before getting up and walking around.
Shes done this same behavior three times now and I'm unsure what could be causing this? The first time it happened it wad about three weeks ago. Then it happened twice today with a gap of about 10 hours between the behaviors. Could anyone help me figure out what this behavior is or why exactly she could be doing it?

Pictures: Avic unusual behavior https://imgur.com/a/63qoPDX

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Judging from your pictures, that doesn't look like a molting position. I will also add that you're keeping it way too moist, let the enclosure dry out.

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
Judging from your pictures, that doesn't look like a molting position. I will also add that you're keeping it way too moist, let the enclosure dry out.
Most of the time the soil is bone dry. I misted half of the enclosure that day and overfilled the water dish only because I was worried she might have been dehydrated, she ended up moving to the side of the tank that got misted. Besides that I've got plenty of ventilation and the tank is already drying out

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Most of the time the soil is bone dry. I misted half of the enclosure that day and overfilled the water dish only because I was worried she might have been dehydrated, she ended up moving to the side of the tank that got misted. Besides that I've got plenty of ventilation and the tank is already drying out
Just keep in mind that too much moisture will kill avics pretty fast, all they really need is the water dish...all that moist moss may have the opposite of desired effect.

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
That looks like a death curl.
I dont think its a death curl, with most death curls they just curl up and fade away. Right now shes up and about moving in her enclosure, she just keeps flipping on her back, gets back up then walks around

boina

Lady of the mites
Even if it's not a death curl that doesn't look like a healthy tarantula - and definitely not like a molting position. But unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. More moisture is only going to make things worse.

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
Even if it's not a death curl that doesn't look like a healthy tarantula - and definitely not like a molting position. But unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. More moisture is only going to make things worse.
Right now the enclosure is bone dry, the only reason it was moist was because I overflowed the water bowl. I do agree that I dont think shes healthy and something is wrong but I dont think its the moisture. The only reason it was wet was because I had just overflowed the water bowl

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Certainly looks odd...haven't seen this ever, new one for me.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Have you seen her flip onto her back? Is it possible she is trying to climb, falling, a d landing on her back?

A healthy Avic won't be walking around on he ground.

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
Have you seen her flip onto her back? Is it possible she is trying to climb, falling, a d landing on her back?

Yah, its very odd that she was on the ground, she only goes near the ground if shes going for the water bowl. Right now shes sitting on a log near the bottom of the enclosure but isnt sitting on the ground, I have no clue as to why shes down there. I have not seen her flip onto her back I only have found her in that position

Yah, I've tried consulting others on discord servers and tried searching similar scenarios but I havent found anything, I thought maybe you guys are probably my best shot at this point at understanding whats going on

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
First of all, try posting your pictures here... it's easier for all who want to help. ;) Just use the "Upload a file" button on the right-hand corner.

Secondly, I can see nothing wrong from the last pic, but I also can't see her pedipalps. Are you sure she's a female? Who sexed it? If you did yourself do you have pictures of the spermatheca of her last moult? Just to make sure it's not a MM. Although that wouldn't necessarily explain that odd behaviour, but it could give some clues maybe.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Edit: So, checking out this older thread, someone had a C. versicolor that acted just like this, but also had the added problem of it not eating when it definitely needed to. It eventually recovered and started eating/stopped flipping.

I'm just throwing this out there but maybe it sustained some form of fall damage earlier and is trying to force a molt?

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
That is the sign of an unhealthy T.

Question time... What is your substrate and where did you get it? What are those plants and are they real? What is that wood and what is is made of? Whats your home environment? Any pest control measure done on your house lately? Any harsh chemical cleaners used near or around the enclosure?

MedusasCascade

Arachnopeon
That is the sign of an unhealthy T.

Question time... What is your substrate and where did you get it? What are those plants and are they real? What is that wood and what is is made of? Whats your home environment? Any pest control measure done on your house lately? Any harsh chemical cleaners used near or around the enclosure?
Alrightly, Substrate is a natural potting soil called Natures care, I use it for all my reptiles and invertebrates. Plants are real, I have pothos and croton mammey. Both were bought from home depot and dipped in a hydrogen peroxide /water solution and then soaked in regular water for 24 hours before adding them to the enclosure but that was a long time ago when I first got the tank. Wood is a large piece of cholla wood and it came with her when I got her. No pesticides or harsh chemicals used near the enclosure

Edit: So, checking out this older thread, someone had a C. versicolor that acted just like this, but also had the added problem of it not eating when it definitely needed to. It eventually recovered and started eating/stopped flipping.

I'm just throwing this out there but maybe it sustained some form of fall damage earlier and is trying to force a molt?
Hmm interesting, last time she was fed was on the 10th of December. Since then shes refused food as I have tried to offer her crickets using tongs. She is rather plump so its not like shes starving though

Hmm interesting, last time she was fed was on the 10th of December. Since then shes refused food as I have tried to offer her crickets using tongs. She is rather plump so its not like shes starving though
First of all, try posting your pictures here... it's easier for all who want to help. ;) Just use the "Upload a file" button on the right-hand corner.

Secondly, I can see nothing wrong from the last pic, but I also can't see her pedipalps. Are you sure she's a female? Who sexed it? If you did yourself do you have pictures of the spermatheca of her last moult? Just to make sure it's not a MM. Although that wouldn't necessarily explain that odd behaviour, but it could give some clues maybe.

Sorry its a bit hard to get a picture of her pedipalps but ill try, shes hiding right now under a plant though but ill update you when I can get a clear one. Im pretty sure shes a female, for one she doesnt have any tibial hooks and I had someone sex her molt.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob1985

This user has no status.

Sorry its a bit hard to get a picture of her pedipalps but ill try, shes hiding right now under a plant though but ill update you when I can get a clear one. Im pretty sure shes a female, for one she doesnt have any tibial hooks and I had someone sex her molt.
Where are you getting your feeders?