1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A. Avic not doing so hot.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MadisonBoib, May 16, 2018.

1. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    My A. avic just molted for the first time while i have owned her. The molt seemingly went well. Its been about a week since the molt and im noticing some issues. She barely moves and when she does her legs are jerky and it looks like her front feet are tapping on her log. Very uncoordinated movements and im not certain but it appears that her legs are slightly bowed in the rear. Ive looked at other threads but im not sure its DKS but its more than just a temperment change. I have a feeling that shes probably not going to make it considering she seems to be having a very difficult time moving, so i would just like to hear what all of you have to say. Have you seen this before?

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana

Is she moving like this? If it is DKS, @boina recently made a very useful thread about DKS and how she treated it. Here's a link: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/treatment-for-dks.306385/

3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    That “tapping” couldn’t be drumming could it? Pictures might help.

4. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Its definetly not drumming

See its hard to tell, she doesnt go all crazy like that, its more like slow uncoordinated movements... i will post a pic of her, her legs are all bent and bowed near the back.

Its hard to tell because she is so fuzzy

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  5. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

How big is the T? Larger Ts will still stretch, lounge around and be otherwise lethargic even a couple weeks after a molt. Their new exoskeleton still needs to harden. Are the back right legs always positioned underneath the T like it appears? That's the only odd thing I'm noticing, but that could just as easily be it cleaning it's feet

6. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Its about 3 inches. When she moves her back legs straighten out some. Perhaps another week or so will be the remedy.

When she is sitting thought her legs stay pretty much like that. Shes been very lethargic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  7. spookyvibes

Indiana
    Can you see if her abdomen is shriveled? Did she successfully shed her organs as far as you can tell on the molt? She just does not look like she’s doing well... Is it possible that she could be dehydrated?

8. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Her abdomen is smaller but its not shriveled, and she shouldnt be dehydrated because i always have a little bowl of water in there for her. I did make sure that her sucking stomach was molted. Idk what could have gone wrong.

9. spookyvibes

Indiana
    Hopefully someone with more experience comes along and gives their two cents, the way you’re describing her movements is worrying. It might just be post-molt lethargy, but I don’t know... Keep us updated

10. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

I will give ger some time. Maybe she will perk up. Perhaps she is just one of those cases where they kinda die for no reason... its disappointing but nature will take its course. Fingers crossed she gets through this.

11. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Do you have dogs or cats? Have you used any of that spray type anti tick treatment recently? Just trying to rule things out at this point.

12. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

I do have cats but i dont use spray.

13. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

It's not just the spray. Collars and drops are bad too...did you treat yout cat recently?

14. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Avics can be idiots when it comes to water bowls. My Avic avic molted recently and she seemed completely off, very weak, legs curled up and she practically fell out of her web into my hand when I tried to see what was wrong. Because of the curled legs I put her front end into a shallow water dish. Just half an hour later she was looking better and by the next day she had climbed back into her web. For the next days I continued to spray some drops of water near where she was sitting and I think she continued to drink from them.

My conclusion from this is that she hadn't stocked up on fluids before her molt despite her full water bowl and became dehydrated because spiders lose a lot of fluids during a molt. You may want to try the 'front end in water bowl' method.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Lokee85

Lokee85 Arachnoknight Active Member

I second what @boina said, my husband's avic (and to a lesser degree, my versicolors) forget about their water dish often, so I've made it a habit to spray a little water on one side of their web once a week or so (whichever side their not on so I'm not misting the actual spider), especially when they're in premolt or just recently molted, and they seem to appreciate it, as I usually find them on that side shortly thereafter getting a drink. I've also put an elevated water dish in the avic enclosure and he uses that one way more often than the one on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Now that you guys say that about the water i havent actually ever seen really drink anything.... im going to try that. Lets see if it works!

I put a bigger flater dish in there and filled it with water and positioned her right at the ledge, hopefully she will drink. And after watching her move closly im sure its not DKS. Shes just very weak and uncoordinated. Fingers crossed she figures out how to drink
    -_-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Probably still recovering from the moult, it can take several weeks.

Avics can look a bit "spaghetti-legged" at times, my A. variegata when I first got her for example.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

This is good to know. Ive had many of mine molt but ive never seen this before. Perhaps im just worrying to much over this. Im used to my others molting, being a little lazy for a day or two and then getting up and continuing on with life. She is also my largest and the slings recover so quickly. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease!

19. MadisonBoib

MadisonBoib Arachnopeon

Just wanted to let you all know she has perked up a bit! I think she must have been dehydrated. Im going to get a little bowl for the side of the tank so i can have water for her at the top of the tank where she hangs out!

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Lokee85

Lokee85 Arachnoknight Active Member

Glad to hear she's doing better!

• Like Like x 1