A. Avic Falling?

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
My A. Avic (2-2.5") likes to hang out at the top of her cage which is an exo terra 8x8x12. It has the 3D foam background so she can easily stay latched on there but I notice she tries to go and hangout on the glass a lot (despite the same outcome every single time) where she falls a good 10 inches down onto her substrate. I'm hoping it doesn't hurt her.. especially worried now as she was fed today and just took quite the tumble. I don't mist that side of the cage, and it seems that is the only side she will ever fall down, I rarely see her on any other sides but when I do, she's got a steady grip. I'm wondering what I can do to rather prevent her from falling or keeping her off as she just keeps going right back at it and rather slips and goes nice and slow all the way to the bottom or actually comes right off the glass and drops a good 6-10" in the process.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Just an idea, I never tried nor do I own an Avic, BUuuuuUUHHHT, maybe put something in the way of that one side, like a log. Or maybe underneath where she falls, put a bunch of moss (maybe 4inches of moss and that will significantly reduce the drop and also it's pretty soft stuff) there to soften the fall OR maybe a bird ladder for her to build on or just as a foothold for that one corner she likes. I've seen them make their silk pockets directly on glass with out anything else so I don't know why it would only fall on that one side.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
My Avics are pretty sure footed. The only time I have seen one of have trouble on the glass was my large versi. That was a few days before she molted. (I assume that was why she was having trouble gripping)

I'm wondering what I can do to rather prevent her from falling or keeping her off as she just keeps going right back at it and rather slips and goes nice and slow all the way to the bottom or actually comes right off the glass and drops a good 6-10" in the process. .
Not knowing what your setupup looks like.... You can add objects (plants or branches) that run along the sides of the glass. Or you could get/make something similar to the back drop that runs along the sides of the enclosure to provide more grip.

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
If you look on page two brad, "My first Tarantula" a picture of her enclosure is included. Also I have put a hefty amount of peat moss. I thought maybe she was in pre molt too til she started eating, I just recently got rid of the whole tong feeding technique as it was a no go for her. She's been having this problem a lot, but usually she just slides today she actually lost grip completely.. Jon3800 said last week not to worry as they are arboreals and they can handle a fall unlike terrestrials. Still worried though, that was back when we thought premolt was a large possibility.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
If you look on page two brad, "My first Tarantula" a picture of her enclosure is included. Also I have put a hefty amount of peat moss. I thought maybe she was in pre molt too til she started eating, I just recently got rid of the whole tong feeding technique as it was a no go for her. She's been having this problem a lot, but usually she just slides today she actually lost grip completely.. Jon3800 said last week not to worry as they are arboreals and they can handle a fall unlike terrestrials. Still worried though, that was back when we thought premolt was a large possibility.
Just because she ate doesn't mean she's DEFINITELY not in premolt.

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
I looked at an older topic and it said that you SHOULD mist each side of her cage and the water helps her get a grip? I'd of figured it to be the other way around. Maybe that's my answer then seeing as though I have misted every other side except this one and this is the only side she falls from. XD