A. Avic death curl? Sos

Ashleyislame

Arachnopeon
IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1686.JPG Came home to find my A. avic in death curl. She molted three weeks ago and has seemed weak since. She was always sorta curled up. She hydrated after the molt I watched her chug a bunch of water, I just gave her a cricket a couple days ago and she took it but I don't know if she ate any of it because she held it for a long time then I found the carcass later but it didn't look like she'd done much. I pushed her over to her water dish and she is moving but barely. I just don't understand why. :( she has proper ventilation and temp and humidity..ahhh this was my first t and I don't think she's gonna make it. There's also pinkish fluid in the water where the mouth area is. Help??

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear your T is not doing well. Take some photos of your whole enclosure and we'll see if something needs to be changed. Take them from multiple angles as that is pretty helpful.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you know your humidity is proper?

How often do you mist the cage?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sorry to see this. It seems very dehydrated. I hope it pulls through. I think all tht can be done is keep it by a full water dish and hope for the best.

Are there any signs of injury?

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
You did come to AB! I told you! :)
I still recommend icu, you could also see if a fall has taken place.

cold blood

Staff member
How do you know your humidity is proper?

How often do you mist the cage?
Im thinking along the same line i think.

Ops comments about having proper temps and humidity sound a lot like care sheet stuff.

Temps can be anywhete from 67-90something....ive never measured humidity, because doing so is pointless. These things live in trees, which dry out very quickly. Biggest issue with avics is ventilation . Namely a moisture-ventilation balance. If you add too much moisture, like if you were trying to get a hygrometer to read a higher number, the animal will go downhill very quickly, and results can almost mimic dyhydration (sans the shriveled abdomen).

If this is the case, an ICU would be a death sentence. Its only use is for severely dehydrated ts, and even then, its not always the best option. But to put it in an ICU without knowing the cause is just dangerous imo.

Pic of the whole enclosure would go a long way....id also like to double check venting just to be sure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You did come to AB! I told you! :)
I still recommend icu, you could also see if a fall has taken place.
no, a typical icu would do much more harm than good. icus are typically low vented cages with tons of humidity. thats the exact opposite of what needed now.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
no, a typical icu would do much more harm than good. icus are typically low vented cages with tons of humidity. thats the exact opposite of what needed now.
I just assumed that since she was near the dish and curled up she was dehydrated :eek:
My bad. I'll stop giving advice until I know more :embarrassed:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I just assumed that since she was near the dish and curled up she was dehydrated :eek:
it does look very dehydrated. but Avics never do well in humid low vented places.
OP, just keep the dish full and maybe try prekilled prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A death curl can be caused by other health issues unrelated to hydration. I used to think it was always dehydration as well, it isn't always the case.

Also, while people recommend an ICU. I'm not sure why to be honest.

An ICU is an isolation chamber, that implies that SOMETHING in an owner's tank is causing the problem, which is rarely the case generally speaking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 228506 View attachment 228507 View attachment 228508 Came home to find my A. avic in death curl. She molted three weeks ago and has seemed weak since. She was always sorta curled up. She hydrated after the molt I watched her chug a bunch of water, I just gave her a cricket a couple days ago and she took it but I don't know if she ate any of it because she held it for a long time then I found the carcass later but it didn't look like she'd done much. I pushed her over to her water dish and she is moving but barely. I just don't understand why. :( she has proper ventilation and temp and humidity..ahhh this was my first t and I don't think she's gonna make it. There's also pinkish fluid in the water where the mouth area is. Help??
If the T has proper ventilation, no way for us knowing that, we can't see. There could be some biological reason going on, such as parasites esp if it's Wild Caught. Do you know the origins of the Avic?

The fact that it was always "sorta curled up" as you wrote makes me think that something went wrong internally either pre or post-molt. Unfortunately we know little about their physiology and more about their taxonomy.

I'd be surprise if this one survives based on your description and pics. Is it a male by chance?

I would suggest getting a terrestrial T the next time you get one. They are much hardier than Avics.