A. avic; bolus or not bolus?

Bemottled

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, this should be a relatively quick question.
My A. avic, Jasper, has finally started webbing! Which is exciting, because, if you've seen my post before, I worry constantly about it.

But along with the webbing, he appears to have smeared poo all over the wall. Or maybe it's not poo? But it looks like poo. And I've heard avics are messy.
I'm not sure. Usually he just drops his bolus in the same civilized way birds do.

I want to make sure so that when I clean his enclosure (no time soon, since he's in the process of building or maybe molting) I want to make sure I don't destroy part of whatever he's working on, and it reminded me of the way my porteri makes web mats.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Looks like web on the walls. Yes they are messy. my avics spray paint the front glass as soon i have cleaned them. Just like they just sits there and wait for a clean window too poop on. :smug:

Bemottled

Arachnosquire
yeah, that's poo...the typical avic artwork.
:rofl: Beautiful. Thanks for the response!

Looks like web on the walls. Yes they are messy. my avics spray paint the front glass as soon i have cleaned them. Just like they just sits there and wait for a clean window too poop on. :smug:
He has a little bit of web in the corner, but then some of it is bolus as well? Hard to tell. It's a mess.
Yes! He makes it a point to destroy clean sides of the tank. Nothing is on the cork bark or plants, it is exclusively focused on the walls of the tank.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Get used to it. Mine loves to poo on clean walls. They're attracted to clean walls like flies on... well... Avic walls I guess...

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I'll clean the glass on mine every few days, poo or a little bit of webbing patches made in random spots on the walls. I think the important thing is to leave their hide alone when it comes to any cleaning. They web everywhere they walk I THINK as a means of helping having an anchor spot so they ensure they don't fall as they explore but again can't be sure there. But that's what I do for our A. versicolor. Honestly though I've seen a lot of videos and such of Avic's that spin tons of webbing all over their enclosures. So far mine never makes it's webbing bigger then the bark hide I provide.

One thing I really love about ours at least is that I can do tank maintience, clean the glass and everything carefully without doing anything to disturb her. She just chills in her hide in the back without any worries.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wait till one day you open the cage surprise you Avic and it shoots poo at you it is disgusting and hilarious at the same time