A. avic bad molt?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
My A. avic just molted, but she molted right side up and it appears she fell mid molt, and now a leg is stuck inside. Is there anything I can do to help?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My A. avic just molted, but she molted right side up and it appears she fell mid molt, and now a leg is stuck inside. Is there anything I can do to help?
No, ride it out. Do NOT touch your T. They will remove the leg if necessary on their own. They have interesting physiology and anatomy that allows them to remove their leg w/out suffering from haemolymph loss.

I had a P irminia lose 4 legs in one molt, you will likely be fine.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
No, ride it out. Do NOT touch your T. They will remove the leg if necessary on their own. They have interesting physiology and anatomy that allows them to remove their leg w/out suffering from haemolymph loss.

I had a P irminia lose 4 legs in one molt, you will likely be fine.
I know not to touch, as all my pokies have molted, I just wondering if there was something that could happen post molt that I could prevent.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know not to touch, as all my pokies have molted, I just wondering if there was something that could happen post molt that I could prevent.
I figured you knew, just a friendly reminder ;) There's nothing you can do post molt, except make sure it has access to water. I also keep a blunt syringe w/water handy for molts. While Avics will come down to drink, they aren't the best at doing so. I've had Avics just not use their bowl and ended up using a syringe to place water on their web.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Luckily my avic drinks, the only thing I'm worried/confused about is the fact that she molted rightside up and fell.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: about 2 hours ago I found her in the condition I have stated. Just checked on her now, no movement. If she doesn't move at all by the time I go to sleep/wake up, I might have to ICU her.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
UPDATE: about 2 hours ago I found her in the condition I have stated. Just checked on her now, no movement. If she doesn't move at all by the time I go to sleep/wake up, I might have to ICU her.
What size is the Avic? I don't think an ICU will have any value. Ts do molt right side up from time to time, sucks that it happened an arboreal. Mine always spin a canopy first and flip upside down.

Moving it is risky. Might do more harm than good. It's a crapshoot IMO.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
she's about 2 inches DLS, one of my smallest Ts. I'm starting to get worried this might just be a dead T regardless, unless a miracle occurs.
What size is the Avic? I don't think an ICU will have any value. Ts do molt right side up from time to time, sucks that it happened an arboreal. Mine always spin a canopy first and flip upside down.

Moving it is risky. Might do more harm than good. It's a crapshoot IMO.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she's about 2 inches DLS, one of my smallest Ts. I'm starting to get worried this might just be a dead T regardless, unless a miracle occurs.
I wouldn't give up hope just yet actually. As you know, the larger they are the longer it takes for them to recuperate from a molt, and longer it takes for exo to harden, hence my advice on moving it. My A huriana hasn't moved in 2 days since molting and it's about 2.5" DLS.

awiec

Arachnoprince
How many legs are we talking here and how many segments are stuck? If it is just one it will probably pop it off especially if its stuck on a lower segment. If the molt is close to the coxa then observe the animal for a few days and provide it with water. If the animal is having trouble moving around, then a gentle stroke of a small wet paint brush on the exo or a leg segment will encourage it to drop it. 9/10 they will drop it themselves but occasionally they need a little help, I would wait and see with this one if it's just one leg.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
How many legs are we talking here and how many segments are stuck? If it is just one it will probably pop it off especially if its stuck on a lower segment. If the molt is close to the coxa then observe the animal for a few days and provide it with water. If the animal is having trouble moving around, then a gentle stroke of a small wet paint brush on the exo or a leg segment will encourage it to drop it. 9/10 they will drop it themselves but occasionally they need a little help, I would wait and see with this one if it's just one leg.
The segment is around the knee, so if she does flip herself over then she'll probably pop it off. Now, this could just be me fretting as this avic was my first T, so she has a special spot with me, but compared to my G. pulchripes and my Poecilotheria sp. her hair appears much wetter than them. I'll try to take a picture.

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you throw another water cap/bowl in the humidity might just help her wiggle it out but that seems like something she will pop off herself.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: She made it out, but did have a wet molt. She has no control in her limbs, and they appear to have hardened in this deformed state.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
UPDATE: She made it out, but did have a wet molt. She has no control in her limbs, and they appear to have hardened in this deformed state.
That's a bummer. Well, it has the palps, that's good. My P irminia lost 4 legs in 1 molt and a palp. 2 legs on each side. What I did was give it smaller crickets to make things a bit easier on it.

Not sure if you know, but may have to wait to see if it can walk at all. If it can walk, but can't walk up walls, give it a setup with plastic plants towards the bottom of the sub. If things go OK, it will use those as anchors and make a tube on the sub floor. As long it eats, and drinks, there's a lot of hope.

I have AF A. minatrix that setup shop on the ground in a rehouse because I put plants too low to the sub floor. She eats fine etc, she's healthy. So if your T survives by you babying it on the sub floor, it will survive I THINK.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
That's a bummer. Well, it has the palps, that's good. My P irminia lost 4 legs in 1 molt and a palp. 2 legs on each side. What I did was give it smaller crickets to make things a bit easier on it.

Not sure if you know, but may have to wait to see if it can walk at all. If it can walk, but can't walk up walls, give it a setup with plastic plants towards the bottom of the sub. If things go OK, it will use those as anchors and make a tube on the sub floor. As long it eats, and drinks, there's a lot of hope.

I have AF A. minatrix that setup shop on the ground in a rehouse because I put plants too low to the sub floor. She eats fine etc, she's healthy. So if your T survives by you babying it on the sub floor, it will survive I THINK.
For now I will just keep her in the ICU until her next molt, giving her cricket soup. All of her legs except for the front two and the palps are pretty much useless, being twisted and bent. I hope she'll pull through, honestly I only thought mismolts like this occurred in mantids.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For now I will just keep her in the ICU until her next molt, giving her cricket soup. All of her legs except for the front two and the palps are pretty much useless, being twisted and bent. I hope she'll pull through, honestly I only thought mismolts like this occurred in mantids.
You may not need to feed her soup. She will probably take a live cricket if you place it within reach. Some Ts wont' eat cricket soup, like mine and it died, an AF too =(

Mismolts happen for all sorts of reasons. My irminia, despite having plenty of space, would always pick the tightest corner possible and molt vertically. I imagine it did so to feel secure, but I don't know. I had an Avic do the something similar. I'm surprised it came out OK giving that it's about 5" DLS now.

Good luck w/that Tox.