#9.....#9....#9.....

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just thought I'd post a pic of my #9 mantid...I had her for about two years....fairly long for a mantid from what I gather. She was great, but she died from some unknow illness.

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I had her for about two years....fairly long for a mantid from what I gather. She was great, but she died from some unknow illness
mmm, could it be from old age???
Do you have any breeding succes with those species of mantis?

greetz

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by AGGRO
Just thought I'd post a pic of my #9 mantid...I had her for about two years....fairly long for a mantid from what I gather. She was great, but she died from some unknow illness.
Hi Aggro,

IMLE, I've found that these mantids don't live very long after maturity. I've successfully bred them only to find that the babies need a LOT of ventilation, or they die.

What makes you think she died from an illness?

Oh, great pic by the way! Very nice how you caught her spreading her wings! Awesome!

Best wishes,

Paul

Last edited:

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok....That_Guy..I actually just picked her up from a local reptile show. I've often seen nymphs of these guys for sale...they usually run anywhere from $10-$20.
Gongyles.....I've actually never tried to breed them. I just had the one as a pet.
phoenixxavierre.....I think it may have been an illness, because it was rather sudden and other mantids that I had kept seemed to just kind of wind down and die, rather than just drop dead. Who knows?? She was definitely my favorite when she was around and I actually have a blow up of this pic hanging in my living room.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
isn't that a Psuedocreobotra occellata? can you tell me about them? i was actually wondering if they were hard to keep and what they were like overall. :)

beautiful!!!

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what she was. As far as keeping, she was a breeze. I kept her in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a tiny fluorescent light over her. The cage had some branches and a plastic aquarium plant with a substrate of vermiculite. She mostly hung out on the top of the tank. I fed her primarily from forceps and she ate mealworms, crickets,roaches, and wax worms. From what I've heard, they need a good deal of ventilation, so the screen top on the tank really did the trick. Also, I sprayed her with distilled water daily (just enough to get some droplets on the plants and cage walls.

Hope this helps---------Roy

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by AGGRO
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what she was. As far as keeping, she was a breeze. I kept her in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a tiny fluorescent light over her. The cage had some branches and a plastic aquarium plant with a substrate of vermiculite. She mostly hung out on the top of the tank. I fed her primarily from forceps and she ate mealworms, crickets,roaches, and wax worms. From what I've heard, they need a good deal of ventilation, so the screen top on the tank really did the trick. Also, I sprayed her with distilled water daily (just enough to get some droplets on the plants and cage walls.

Hope this helps---------Roy
Hi Roy,

I just wanted to let you know that distilled water, while it may be fine for inverts, and is used by many people for misting since it leaves no residuals on the glass, does deplete the human body of important nutrients. While it does remove toxins and such, it also removes important minerals/vitamins and such, by bonding to them. It basically flushes the system. Drinking distilled water for an extended period can cause problems in a human, but again, I'm unsure how it may/may not effect inverts. Not sure if any research has been done on inverts and distilled water, but would be interesting if there was some done.

Best wishes,

Paul

Last edited: