5 or so inch P. Regalis, very colorful, yellow etc..

Phases

Arachnoknight
...would very colorful mean female? And, would this, plus its home - an 8x8x12 glass enclosure and furnishings - for 100 bucks be a good deal?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
...would very colorful mean female? And, would this, plus its home - an 8x8x12 glass enclosure and furnishings - for 100 bucks be a good deal?
No it wouldn't mean it's a female. No more than putting it's a female, means it's a female. Unless you check for yourself, you will never know.

As for home, w/out a picture of knowing what it is, who knows if it's good or not.

Also, size of T increases price significantly too, you've left out relevant information.

In some species, 1" larger is an additional 100$ (that's not for only for rare species either).

Not enough man.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Well, on my H.Mac someone posted and said it was female due to the contrast/coloring, didn't know if applied here..

Well, it's just a 25 dollar terrarium, so basically I guess I'm asking is 75 for a 5 or so inch p. regalis a good deal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, on my H.Mac someone posted and said it was female due to the contrast/coloring, didn't know if applied here..

Well, it's just a 25 dollar terrarium, so basically I guess I'm asking is 75 for a 5 or so inch p. regalis a good deal.
Depends on gender, there aren't a lot of Ts that are sexually dimorphic based on color. I haven't owned regalis, but I didn't think they were. Others are like, like P. irminia or Lvs

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Depends on gender, there aren't a lot of Ts that are sexually dimorphic based on color. I haven't owned regalis, but I didn't think they were. Others are like, like P. irminia or Lvs
They are sexually dimorphic via their carapace and abdominal pattern. It should be reasonably clear by the time the P.regalis gets to 5 inches, they are also pretty easy to vent sex.

Depends on the gender, if you don't have a MF and aren't planning on breeding I would be cautious just in case it's a male. If you get some pics of said P.regalis it would be helpful, ideally both ventral/dorsal shots.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are sexually dimorphic via their carapace and abdominal pattern. It should be reasonably clear by the time the P.regalis gets to 5 inches, they are also pretty easy to vent sex.

Depends on the gender, if you don't have a MF and aren't planning on breeding I would be cautious just in case it's a male. If you get some pics of said P.regalis it would be helpful, ideally both ventral/dorsal shots.

Via carapace? I know Poki's are ventrally via the dot method. Below is my male rufilata. I don't recall carapace. I thought that was internet "fact", as in not proven.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Via carapace? I know Poki's are ventrally via the dot method. Below is my male rufilata. I don't recall carapace. I thought that was internet "fact", as in not proven.

The dot method works very well for younger specimens, but as they put on size this method becomes more difficult to use. The sexual dimorphisme does not become apparent until the P.regalis are about 3-4 inches. You need to have a keen eye to spot the differences, the males carapace pattern will become less defined as he grows whereas females will gradually darken with each molt. The abdominal pattern is less reliable, but can still be an indicator, females typically have a much paler abdomen, although sometimes males can too until they mature out.

All of these indicators combined with decent ventral pics make this species very easy to sex, I have raised three specimens to maturity(2females,1male) and I only molt sexed one of them. I was 100% with what gender I suspected, they are almost as easy as P.ornata to sex when they put on size. @Phases Still no pictures?

Phases

Arachnoknight
Well, it's at a shop half hour away, I doubt I'll be back out unless I've just decided to purchase it. :) Course that said, this is a super interesting discussion to read about!