5 Dead Slings :(

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
I have had nothing but postive things from them. As someone else asked, I am also curious, which others did you get this round?
I got a Mexican Fireleg and 2 Nicaraguan Curly Hairs. I got the guarantee on them and a feebie. :) plus i heard they are banning Brazilian spiders so I got 3 coming from Jamie's

And an Avic as you can see. They are so busy. I'm in love!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Disclaimer: i am not a lawyer and i haven't looked up that much about the issue...

i believe the ban is only across international borders and doesn't apply to anything already in the country, so things that are captive bred in the US will continue to be offered i think. Could be wrong though.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
So i was worried that other enclosures were too big so we (my kids and I) got these and put a bunch of holes in them...

Everyone, i am seriously addicted. I blame Tom, Lol....I got some of his spider babies.

Both of my curlies burrowed. My avic is still holding onto it's worm segment. My fireleg is runnimg all over it's enclosure. I apologize for misspellings, etc. Fat fingers, small keyboard on phone. Also all my correct Ts names on my office pc. Yes just sad. All I care bout these days...

Attachments

tewebag

Arachnoknight
I got a Mexican Fireleg and 2 Nicaraguan Curly Hairs. I got the guarantee on them and a feebie. :) plus i heard they are banning Brazilian spiders so I got 3 coming from Jamie's
Ban applies to collecting wild caught and exporting them out of the country, anything out will stay where it's at. Same as what happened with Chile and the rose hairs about ten years ago.

So i was worried that other enclosures were too big so we (my kids and I) got these and put a bunch
What sizes did you get? If you got a Brachypelma boehmei (fireleg) from the same batch I did about two months ago that enclourse will be fine for a few more molts. It's slow growing so it will be a while before a rehouse.

Both of my curlies burrowed. My avic is still holding onto it's worm segment. My fireleg is runnimg all over it's enclosure. I apologize for misspellings, etc. Fat fingers, small keyboard on phone. Also all my correct Ts names on my office pc. Yes just sad. All I care bout these days...
I actually save my files on all my decreased T's, I use an app for my phone that keeps track of that kind of stuff along with reminders for feeding and everything. I have been keeping for almost a decade and I still feel bad whenever one dies even if I have two or more of that same one still alive. You have to get used to the possibility of slings dying on you if you want to be in this hobby, it's why adults cost so much more.

Just because I said that do not be afraid to get more slings risking a death, come to these boards and seek advice. Like recently we just turned this train wreck of an enclourse for a Caribena versicolor into hopefully a postive story (not fully put of danger yet) because the guy came for help before it was too late.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Everyone, i am seriously addicted. I blame Tom, Lol....I got some of his spider babies.
Some friendly advice from one addict to another, you are going to want to start working on the binomial nomenclature. (spelling?) Most folks here use almost exclusively the scientific names (with a few exceptions like the GBB is a common one) Will make it much easier to know what people are talking about, easier to find propper care info, and easier to make future purchases if you use them instead of "common" names.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Some friendly advice from one addict to another, you are going to want to start working on the binomial nomenclature. (spelling?) Most folks here use almost exclusively the scientific names (with a few exceptions like the GBB is a common one) Will make it much easier to know what people are talking about, easier to find propper care info, and easier to make future purchases if you use them instead of "common" names.
I get that but the species keep changing, like Antilles was a Versicolor versicolor but now Caribena.....

I has to goto Google for pronunciation

My spooder babies are happy

I can sleep now.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
And while we're at it... it's a Caribena versicolor, not an Avic (anymore). ;)

Congrats on your new ones! Nice selection! And best of luck and loads of fun with them. :)

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I get that but the species keep changing, like Antilles was a Versicolor versicolor but now Caribena.....

I has to goto Google for pronunciation

My spooder babies are happy

I can sleep now.
Yes, but unfortunately common names aren't always constant or consistent either. Seems like if you check 10 different retailers that use common names, you will get 10 different names (usually similar, but different none the less) Knowing both is probably best, but IMO the scientific is more important.

I'm not trying to say you have to learn them. You enjoy the hobby in your own way.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Ban applies to collecting wild caught and exporting them out of the country, anything out will stay where it's at. Same as what happened with Chile and the rose hairs about ten years ago.

What sizes did you get? If you got a Brachypelma boehmei (fireleg) from the same batch I did about two months ago that enclourse will be fine for a few more molts. It's slow growing so it will be a while before a rehouse.

I actually save my files on all my decreased T's, I use an app for my phone that keeps track of that kind of stuff along with reminders for feeding and everything. I have been keeping for almost a decade and I still feel bad whenever one dies even if I have two or more of that same one still alive. You have to get used to the possibility of slings dying on you if you want to be in this hobby, it's why adults cost so much more.

Just because I said that do not be afraid to get more slings risking a death, come to these boards and seek advice. Like recently we just turned this train wreck of an enclourse for a Caribena versicolor into hopefully a postive story (not fully put of danger yet) because the guy came for help before it was too late.
Psalmopoeus irminia (Venezuelan Sun Tiger) 3/4"
Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian giant white-knee) 1/3"
Nhandu chromatus (Brazilian White Striped Bird-eater) 1/2”
Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Fireleg Tarantula) 3/4"
Caribena (Avicularia) versicolor (Antilles Pinktoe) 3/4"
2 Brachypelma albopilosum ("Nicaraguan" Curly Hair) 1/2"

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian giant white-knee) 1/3"
Nhandu chromatus (Brazilian White Striped Bird-eater) 1/2”
Brachypelma boehmei (Mexican Fireleg Tarantula) 3/4"
Caribena (Avicularia) versicolor (Antilles Pinktoe) 3/4"
2 Brachypelma albopilosum ("Nicaraguan" Curly Hair) 1/2"
i have a few of those. Lovely spiders.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
And while we're at it... it's a Caribena versicolor, not an Avic (anymore). ;)

Congrats on your new ones! Nice selection! And best of luck and loads of fun with them. :)
Looks like other avics dono what the taxonomists is smoking . :cigar: They should rename A diversipes also it dosnt look like an avic. There the experts hope they are correct. Next month it could be something else.:pompous::headphone:

A way better picture... View attachment 281426
I miss having one of these , but I can’t get more Ts for a while . Try finding a job are same odds as getttng hit by lightning around here.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon

About Brazilian ban: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/potential-hobby-setbacks.309327/

cold blood

Staff member
plus i heard they are banning Brazilian spiders so I got 3 coming from Jamie's
Dealers gotta be loving this kind of over-reaction.
While this may effect future imports, its not going to effect the captive breeding and high success rates doing so. and really shouldn't impact the hobby much at all with the exception of newly discovered species going forward.
So i was worried that other enclosures were too big so we (my kids and I) got these and put a bunch of holes in them...
Those will work, but you could go even smaller. I prefer to not give to much burrowing space as they tend to do so excessively.
This is not a changing of the species, its a changing of the genera....species is versicolor, that hasn't changed.

But it can, like the case of hamorii

Common names are very imprecise, often referring to many different species or in many cases just made up. No one here will bat an eye to scientific names, its what we are just used to, but we al collectively seem to scratch our heads in the face of most common names.

Be aware, these grow exceedingly fast, they are fast as lightning and when they gain size, they can become both exceedingly reclusive, and exceedingly defensive. Irminia are consistently one of the most defensive species in my collection filled with OWs. Not hard to care for mind you, but they can be difficult come re-housing time.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
NOT defensive if you leave em alone haha. P irmina is cool , gotta check next molting my smaller one. Well maybe during a. Rehouse or cleaning.