5 Dead Slings :(

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
That's a bummer to lose all five. Likely the packaging just failed to keep them cool enough during the entire transit.

Who was the seller? How long after the delivery did you contact them?

What kind of shipping did you pay for? (Many sellers only offer a LAG for one-day shipping; some offer for two-day.) Do you know how long they were in transit and how long they sat in your mailbox? (A black metal mailbox in the sun gets hot really fast.)
I was told I couldn't mention the seller in another post. I paid $50 for shipping.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm guessing it is more likely they were cooked (or too cold with the ice pack?) than that they died of insecticide exposure. Unless a fogging or fumigation is taking place, a critter needs to actually come into contact with the insecticide in order for it to affect them. Unfortunately the results of short term exposure to extreme temperatures may not kill them right away, however if they were not walking/running while housing or within a few minutes to an hour after, then that would have been a sign something wasn't right. Next time you will know.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok, so this is exactly what happened...Got my babies at 11AM, noticed that the package was warm and the ice pack was melted. The babies came in vials. Popped the lids of the vials and the slings just slid out into enclosures, only my Avic moved it's tiny legs. I just assumed they were scared and traumatized from shipment. My daughter videoed the whole thing. I got my enclosures substrate, etc from a top notch online seller here in the US. Very highly recommended. Got the spiderling enclosures which included coconut substrate, moss, silk leaves and cork bark. The actual enclosures measure 3 inch tall/wide by 1 inch tall/wide depending on terrestrial vs arboreal setup. I bought dubia and red runner roaches, grub and meal worms for feeders (which are all doing very well). I wanted to make sure I had a variety in case they preferred one feeder over another. The online seller only has a 3 hour live guarantee and refuses to work with me which has me VERY upset because we had been in constant contact and they knew I was new to the hobby (obsession, LOL).
View attachment 281015
All but 4 of my tarantulas have been received through the mail, and not one has ever just slid out of it's shipping container. They run, scrunch up into stress curls, or casually explore, but it's always very cotrolled movement. Those were likely doomed before you even set them up in their enclosures. As long as you picked them up as soon as they were delivered or had them held at the shipping facility for pick up, you did nothing wrong. 3hr LAG or not, if I was the seller I would have at least given a partial refund. If every single sling arrived to you in that condition, I would have felt that there was an error on my part as the seller.

For future reference, if you ever have any tarantulas arrive to you and they seem extremely lethargic like that, get into contact with the seller right away (even if the tarantulas aren't dead). If you inform them from the get-go that they arrived in poor shape, a respectable seller should be more inclined to work with you, even the Ts die outside of the LAG time frame.

Again, I'm sorry that this was your first experience in the hobby. I sincerely doubt it was your fault

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
We have a separate dealer review section if you choose to review this transaction. (Don't leave a negative review until you're sure the seller won't work with you to achieve a satisfactory resolution.)
+1 on this. Dono were pet center went had good prices , rarely lost any.
Some of older dealers had better lag then newer ones R.I.P.

Last edited:

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Are these images all just after they arrived and were placed in their enclosures? If so, I definitely don't think it was anything you did. Every one of those slings appears to be in poor condition.
Yes all pictures were very soon after putting them in their enclosures.

Callysplace101

Arachnopeon
The third picture down, that little one looks like it's in a death curl or already dead. Did it move at all?

And I'm so sorry this has happened to you, I've received plenty of slings and adult T's in the post and only had one casualty with a sling that arrived in poor shape.
I truly hope this doesn't put you off, I would suggest to try a couple of slings from a recommended seller on here. Its a possibility they were sent in poor shape to start with but from a quick glance it does appear that the problems arose from the shipping rather than an issue in your home (obviously it can't be discounted though)

The advice already has been given to try roaches, I'd suggest red runners, they can survive almost anything imo. If you manage to keep them alive then there's a good chance its nothing in your environment causing the issue.... Plus you will have a nice food source for when you start you collection again.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I'd suggest red runners, they can survive almost anything imo. If you manage to keep them alive then there's a good chance its nothing in your environment causing the issue...
That's kind of a contradiction in terms, isn't it? :pompous:

Last edited:

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
**********UPDATE**********
Bought 6 more. Couldn't help myself, but went to the 2 TOP T US sellers (online) and explained the shipping/dealer dilemma. I am getting 3 on Wednesday and 3 on Friday. Also friends from work hooked me up with a dealer close to me who pretty much only deals in Old Worlds, but has an Avic and Brachy juvenile he's willing to sell me. Told him I gotta be successful for at least 6 months to a year with New Worlds b4 graduating to Old Worlds. Total spent on "hobby" so far? $900

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Bought 6 more. Couldn't help myself, but went to the 2 TOP T US sellers (online) and explained the shipping/dealer dilemma. I am getting 3 on Wednesday and 3 on Friday. Also friends from work hooked me up with a dealer close to me who pretty much only deals in Old Worlds, but has an Avic and Brachy juvenile he's willing to sell me. Told him I gotta be successful for at least 6 months to a year with New Worlds b4 graduating to Old Worlds. Total spent on "hobby" so far? $900
Try to set up the enclourses before hand and take pictures of them so people here can offer suggestions to 100% cover anything like that happening again.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
That's so awesome! Definitely jump in on some juveniles, they help keep you occupied while slings are going through the boring stages ;)

I don't even want to think about how much money I've sank into this hobby. It starts off as "Oh, spiders are so much cheaper than other exotics! What's one more..."

Then you realize you've made a big mistake. :grumpy: :troll:

Great idea on posting pics of the enclosures, although at this point I definitely don't think that your enclosures were the problem.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
That's so awesome! Definitely jump in on some juveniles, they help keep you occupied while slings are going through the boring stages ;)

I don't even want to think about how much money I've sank into this hobby. It starts off as "Oh, spiders are so much cheaper than other exotics! What's one more..."

Then you realize you've made a big mistake. :grumpy: :troll:

Great idea on posting pics of the enclosures, although at this point I definitely don't think that your enclosures were the problem.
How dare you call my spiders a mistake! :rage::punch::mad:

i'm certain that between Ts and roaches, i have EASILLY spent more than i have ever paid for any car i've ever bought. :dead::eek::troll:

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
I got 4 new babies today fro fearnot. Happy healthy and hungry. I AM so happy

Pic not the best but its a versicolor eating a chopped up worm.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
When I overcome this Great Depression news won’t cover , then maybe I’ll save money. For new Ts been looking for years . I need a desk job knees are destroyed

grats!

tewebag

Arachnoknight

I have had nothing but postive things from them. As someone else asked, I am also curious, which others did you get this round?

NaCon

Arachnopeon
5 at once? Man sorry for your loss, I’m new to the hobby myself, this had made me worry a little for when I get my sling, hopefully all goes well.