1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4cm Gramastola Pulcheripes buried itself - feed or not? (First time keeper)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JandEsTs, Mar 14, 2018.

1. JandEsTs

JandEsTs Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi,

My 2 T’s arrived home on Thursday last week - both seem well (one has moulted already) but my 4cm juvenile Gramastola Pulcheripes has walled up the front of its hide with substrate and buried itself. I was just wondering whether it would be advisable to try and feed it (it hasn’t eaten for over a week) - there is no hole or entrance to its burrow - or should I wait for it to re-emerge and then offer it a cricket? Just looking for some advice as a first-time keeper

Thanks loads

2. Scarabyte

Scarabyte Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Did she look plump and shiny when you got her? If so she may be preparing for a molt, you can always try offering a prekilled insect, just make sure to remove it if she doesn't eat it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JandEsTs

JandEsTs Arachnopeon

Here’s the little stinker on the day he/she came home, according to the shop s/he had been fed the week before last. I don’t want to unduly stress the poor thing out F7FD155E-34E9-49FF-B18C-8346DF69D959.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scarabyte

Scarabyte Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Yeah she might be premolt, she also might still be getting used to the new enclosure

5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

That is a tarantula's "do not disturb" sign and often foreshadows a molt. I would recommend leaving it alone (but making sure it has access to a water dish in case it gets thirsty). It will come out when it's hungry.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnosquire Active Member

If you are worried kill a small cricket or mealworm and toss it in. If it doesn't eat it within 24h take it out. Just make sure it's dead so if your sling molts, the feeder doesn't attack the sling.
    I do this at least once to make sure it's not wanting to eat.
    Blocking off their burrow is usually a sign of premolt but I like to make sure it doesn't eat before I make that conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. jaycied

jaycied Arachnoknight Active Member

Idaho
    If the burrow is sealed up it's a pretty clear 'do not disturb' sign. It will either molt, or decide it's hungry and it will open the burrow back up. The only sp I have heard of needing to be fed when down in its burrow is E. campestratus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I agree with what everyone else said. But I needed to add that if you're worried that it's been a week since it last ate, don't be. When my G. pulchripes was still a 1/2 inch sling, she buried herself in and didn't eat for 3 months. So don't think of them like cats or dogs that need to eat very frequently or they'll die. Tarantulas eat what need to to hold them over for the next molt. This means once they've had their fill, some species can even go about a year or longer without food. I've heard of G. rosea/porteri going 18 months without eating before

• Agree Agree x 3