40 Gallon background

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
40 Gallon background (pics)

Started on this background a few weeks just finished it the other day. Its a 40 gallon tank ..I think Ill be keeping one of my snakes in here.

Starting to foam

Adding a few more layers

Putting in some depth

Ready for carving

Post carving

First layer of grout

Second layer of grout

First layer of paint

Finished paint Done!

Last edited:

Fuma

Arachnopeon
what kind of snake are you going to keep in this? this looks great bu the way

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
my ball python ..although it may be a little large for her at the moment my wife was tired of me buying several tanks. I need need to decorate it up ..this is just the platform really

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
A very impressive paint job you got going on there. Im sure your ball python will be very happy.... at least s happy as it can get :p

dsdishon

Arachnopeon
Wow! after just making a background out of foam and grout, that tank must have been a big job! Definitely worth it though.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
I put a 50 inrafed on the top and a 10 gallon mat heater on the bottom corner..I have my ball python in there now she loves it.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Awesome! I'm getting my first snake soon, a ball python. You should add pictures with her in it. Can I message you sometime about more details on how you did this? I'd be interested in trying it.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Yes it is great stuff brand foam, I found the black can variety expands the best for a project like this. I even work in the foam industry but for a small scale project like this the cans are easiest

axle37

Arachnosquire
if i wanted to add coco coir or something similar to the wall after i put on the great stuff, what would you guys suggest? i don't want to grout, I'm only keeping inverts and they wouldn't like that as much i don't think

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
maybe some food grade silicon ... there is lots of threads that talk about best silicon choices

ch4dg

Arachnosquire
any aquarium silicone is fine, i personally use varnish as silicon is a pain to spread and varnish you just brush on

to the op....awesome design and effect,
but if you place a mat under it ,the foam is an insulator so the heat wont travel through

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
nope the heat travels though fine actually...if you have a heat source on foam it will actually hold the heat

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Damnnn!!! thats siick..... I hate looking at these dominant home made enclosures because i can literally stare at them all day!!