4 in. B. smithi MIA

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's been gone since last night apparently, and there's been no sign of her all day, but then again I've been out celebrating Thanksgiving.

She tends to be pretty active during the day, so I think that that is in my favor.

How many of you who's T's have pulled a jailbreak have found your's out in the open?

I've looked in nooks and crannies but am fearful of searching too hard or moving things around for fear of squishing her.

Do chances dwindle significantly as far as finding her after just one day??

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
place plastic grocery bags or newspaper
everywhere! if it comes in contact youll be able to hear it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ooh, never heard that one about the bags or newspaper before.. good idea!

Hope you find her!

varanus dwarfus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can also do the flour trick... just sprinkle it on any hard surface and if she walks through she should leave evidence. I don't know how well this will work with something small like a T...

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have to ask, because you didn't say, but how do you know it escaped?

Our B. smithi has burrowed down before and left very little evidence that it did. Just a thought anyway......

Good luck on finding her, there have been some good suggestions for escaped spiders given here.:D

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When Sweetie, my G. porteri, escaped, she crawled from her aquarium (which was very high off the ground) down to the floor and hid under my bookcase in the back (where it is dark - she was literally under the book case though, as most have a space under it and an opening in the back). I did not know she was there until I slowly slid it out, and looked.

There she was, just sitting on a web mat she put down, acting like it was her new home.

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can also do the flour trick... just sprinkle it on any hard surface and if she walks through she should leave evidence. I don't know how well this will work with something small like a T...
I would do this, but I have an almost two year old who would just have a field day with this. :p

i have to ask, because you didn't say, but how do you know it escaped?

Our B. smithi has burrowed down before and left very little evidence that it did. Just a thought anyway......

Good luck on finding her, there have been some good suggestions for escaped spiders given here.:D
She never burrows, but to be safe, I turned over her tree "hide", and dig through all of her substrate, no sign. :(

She has done this once before, she's never been gone this long, though.

My thinking is that someone walked by her tank and bumped her lid ajar.

When Sweetie, my G. porteri, escaped, she crawled from her aquarium (which was very high off the ground) down to the floor and hid under my bookcase in the back (where it is dark - she was literally under the book case though, as most have a space under it and an opening in the back). I did not know she was there until I slowly slid it out, and looked.

There she was, just sitting on a web mat she put down, acting like it was her new home.
LOL, awww! Well this gives me greater hope that nothing bad has befallen her. When my T's get out, I tend to think of worse case scenarios i.e climbing into the trash can and getting taken out, etc, etc.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't meant to be for me to own 4 T's at a time. When I got my versicolor, my boehmei sling vanished and never returned, and then this happens right before I receive my P. metallica sling.

My smithi is huge, though, so I'm shocked that I've not seen her yet.

This just goes to show that there's no telling what can be hiding in your house without you knowing, lol.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jail break

First off if you have a little one running around you need to work on the security issue. What kindof enclosure are you using that these keep getting out of? Second do a complete sweep of the house to include under everything, inlower cubboards, closets etc. If your little one finds it ,it's a play toy maybe with bad results. One final thought it might be wise to figure this problem out before you get more T's esp. Pokies. Good luck in your search. Best Regards Kevin

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off if you have a little one running around you need to work on the security issue. What kindof enclosure are you using that these keep getting out of? Second do a complete sweep of the house to include under everything, inlower cubboards, closets etc. If your little one finds it ,it's a play toy maybe with bad results. One final thought it might be wise to figure this problem out before you get more T's esp. Pokies. Good luck in your search. Best Regards Kevin
My sling got out for a totally different reason than my smithi.

Someone was careless knocking into my enclosure and they knocked the lid ajar, apparently, because that is how I found it.

I should have had a more secure lid, clearly. The pokie WILL have a more secure home, and soon, too, will my other T's, though my versicolor is as secure as she's going to get.

I have swept my entire home with the exception of my roomate's room, who will not allow me to do this.

Anyway, I believe that I have found where she is, the problem, however is that I'm not going to be able to get her out on my own. She's going to have to do that herself.

I don't use my fireplace, but I do have one, and I believe she's in these cutout holes along the side of the thing. I looked here today and noticed some new webbing that was not there yesterday.

Stitch_geevi

Arachnopeon
This is why I put collars with bells on all of my tarantulas.
LOL ya know as ludicrous as that sounds, it almost seems possible! they do make very tiny light-weight bells that you find on small christmas decorations, and i suppose loosely tieing a bit of fishing line around them between their 2nd and 3rd legs might work!
..ofcourse you'd have to snip it off when they start to show signs of a molt.