4 enclosures in 1 box

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. So, my friend just made me a 4 enclosures in just 1 box. My question is if its fine to put 4 t's right next to each other or not. Thanks

Attachments

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Hi, a few observations:

1. I think with a setup like that, you might get issues with (cross) ventilation since you can ventilate only from two sides or the top.
2. if the box opens from the top and hypothetically speaking you'd want to feed one T, and one of the other 3 decide to bolt, what do you do then? With faster species the chance of escape is huge, you'd have to keep an eye at four spiders at once.
3. I can't tell in the picture what kind of material the box is made of.
4. what did you use as substrate? It looks like sharp chips and rocks and other materials the T might injure itself on. Use something like eco earth or coco fiber as a substrate, no sharp things!

Basically in my opinion I think it's quite difficult to keep 4 T's in one box. As mentioned when feeding one or doing cage maintenance you'd have to keep an eye on all four, and I imagine its also very difficult if you intend do keep T's who have different humidity requirements. Get each T his or her own enclosure. I think that is better for them and for you.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi, a few observations:

1. I think with a setup like that, you might get issues with (cross) ventilation since you can ventilate only from two sides or the top.
2. if the box opens from the top and hypothetically speaking you'd want to feed one T, and one of the other 3 decide to bolt, what do you do then? With faster species the chance of escape is huge, you'd have to keep an eye at four spiders at once.
3. I can't tell in the picture what kind of material the box is made of.
4. what did you use as substrate? It looks like sharp chips and rocks and other materials the T might injure itself on. Use something like eco earth or coco fiber as a substrate, no sharp things!

Basically in my opinion I think it's quite difficult to keep 4 T's in one box. As mentioned when feeding one or doing cage maintenance you'd have to keep an eye on all four, and I imagine its also very difficult if you intend do keep T's who have different humidity requirements. Get each T his or her own enclosure. I think that is better for them and for you.
I just got the box. I will change substrate and add hide a water bowl

Sana

Arachnoprince
The main problem that I encountered with that type of setup is that tarantulas are both shockingly strong and able to squeeze through the most ridiculously small spaces on earth. I tried this and was terrified to discover that a space so small I had completely overlooked it was used as an escape hatch my one of my tarantulas. I originally feared that he had been eaten by his neighbor when I woke up and couldn't find him. He later turned up hiding in the heat vent near the enclosure fortunately. Since that disaster I haven't tried again with that type of setup.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Idk looks like it might suit a scorp better than any of those T's due to the jagged rocks not being a threat to them, the sandy substrate being preferable for desert scores than any T, and the fact they can't climb the smooth walls of the enclosure and make their way into the other areas

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Idk looks like it might suit a scorp better than any of those T's due to the jagged rocks not being a threat to them, the sandy substrate being preferable for desert scores than any T, and the fact they can't climb the smooth walls of the enclosure and make their way into the other areas
That substrate is going to be removed and changed to coconut fiber

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Still in my opinion I think the tarantula's are better off in each their own enclosure. Tarantula's are nutorious escape artists. Besides, when you are doing cage maintenance for one, you are disturbing not one but four tarantula's.

What are you going to do about ventilation?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
It might work, but there are so many new variables that could go wrong. I wouldn't test your luck. What is your reason for wanting to use this? Monetary? Space saving? You can buy 4 small Sterilite boxes at Walmart and make them into perfectly functional enclosures for super cheap and which would take up a very small amount of space.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
People here including myself have listed various reasons why it is not a good idea. There isn't an upside that I can think of for that enclosure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It might work, but there are so many new variables that could go wrong. I wouldn't test your luck. What is your reason for wanting to use this? Monetary? Space saving? You can buy 4 small Sterilite boxes at Walmart and make them into perfectly functional enclosures for super cheap and which would take up a very small amount of space.
It would probably actually be cheaper and more economical financially to get four different Sterilite containers from Walmart

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Still in my opinion I think the tarantula's are better off in each their own enclosure. Tarantula's are nutorious escape artists. Besides, when you are doing cage maintenance for one, you are disturbing not one but four tarantula's.

What are you going to do about ventilation?
+1 on the escape artists, these things are ninjas. cross ventilation is not required on those species. a dozen small holes in the lid for aor exchange will be fine.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hi. So, my friend just made me a 4 enclosures in just 1 box. My question is if its fine to put 4 t's right next to each other or not. Thanks
its fine to have Ts right next to one another, they wont sense one another through the cage and get stressed and they cant see well at all.

now that particular cage is not very good. even with sub change and added hides and water dishes, i still wouldnt risk it. more problems than its worth honestly. theres no benefits to having a cage setup like that, only cons. plastic tubs from walmart (one for each T) would be the best and cheapest.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
yeah a T could possibly squeeze into the other side and eat or be eaten by their neighbor. I still think with some modification of the decor and substrate 4 scorps like R. junceus would work especially considering the species is semi communal but can't be kept together when young as they tend to eat eachother after molts, so you could raise 4 in there and even remove the divider when they are old enough plus if by some strange event one got to the other side despite not being able to climb smooth surfaces as long as one wasn't freshly molted you wouldn't have to worry about one eating another.

cold blood

Staff member
No no no no, just don't do it, its not appropriate, divided cages should not be used for ts!

In my opinion, that setup has bad idea written all over it.
Agreed

I would put that enclosure in the place where those type of things belongs: the trash can.
Agreed

It would probably actually be cheaper and more economical financially to get four different Sterilite containers from Walmart
Agreed X 100

Sterilite makes such a good enclosure, is easily drilled for ventilation and its so inexpensive that looking for alternatives is pointless....plus they're stackable.