37G Planted Viv for Avic

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
The avic is walking laps around here enclosure. She doesn't seem bothered at all by the lights which are on bright and shiny. I gotta get a video recorder so I can get video of here moving around like this. She climbs all over the plants and the driftwood.

HDaveM

Arachnopeon
I could easily get my hands on an avi, (i recently got an avi metallica) the problem is that i live in Colombia so im not sure how we might figure out the shipping or whatever mean we use. If you manage to get an avi, i recommend that if its still small (less than 2.5 inches) you keep it in a smaller place because the ones i have gave me a hard time eating while in a bigger terrain. Oh and great job with that terrain! i could use some tips in botany.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
good lookin enclosure, Hydrophyte... think I've seen it before in a more froggy setting;). The plant choice is excellent, as well as their distribution.

Sean

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I could easily get my hands on an avi, (i recently got an avi metallica) the problem is that i live in Colombia so im not sure how we might figure out the shipping or whatever mean we use. If you manage to get an avi, i recommend that if its still small (less than 2.5 inches) you keep it in a smaller place because the ones i have gave me a hard time eating while in a bigger terrain. Oh and great job with that terrain! i could use some tips in botany.
Here in the United States we cannot import live animals without the proper documentation. I imagine that Colombia has strict laws about exporting wildlife as well. We can get avics easily enough from breeders and importers here.

good lookin enclosure, Hydrophyte... think I've seen it before in a more froggy setting;). The plant choice is excellent, as well as their distribution.

Sean
Thanks!

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Well the avic finally did some more webbing and built a web hammock up in the right rear corner of the enclosure. I think she must feel more comfortable there because I see here walking around the enclosure a lot less. Now I wish that I had gotten more pictures when she was more active, but I'm glad that she has settled down because I was worried about all of the falls that she took. She never hurt herself, but I watched her tumble from the top of the tank a couple of times.

XLRX8

Arachnopeon
That's a really nice set up man. Any pics with the webbing? Would be cool to see the spider living in there!

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
That's a really nice set up man. Any pics with the webbing? Would be cool to see the spider living in there!
I got a quick picture last night.

Here you can see the web hammock that she made up in the rear right-hand corner. She has just been hanging out there in the web for days, but last night she was out for a little while and I got this shot.

XLRX8

Arachnopeon
That is really very nice! It's a three dimensional living piece of art! I always like to see the webs of my spiders develop over time, as they thicken up and become more elaborate. I bet this tank will look (even more) stunning as the plants and webbing grow through it. Well done man!

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
That is really very nice! It's a three dimensional living piece of art! I always like to see the webs of my spiders develop over time, as they thicken up and become more elaborate. I bet this tank will look (even more) stunning as the plants and webbing grow through it. Well done man!
Thanks. I hope that show won't web up the plants too much, but it would be cool to see more webbing in the branches.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
I think that I want to change this to make a planting more like what I have in my 12 X 12 Exo, with pretty short terrestrial plants planted into the bottom and with epiphytes planted up around the top of the manzanita. I don't have a recent picture, but you can see below that some of the plants are pretty tall and reach up to the top of the enclosure. They have grown even more and now are covering a lot of the branches. They also cast a lot of shade and now the only part of the tank that is very well illuminated is the front, with the effect that the whole thing lacks visual depth and looks flat.

Here is a recent shot of the 12 X 12. To me this photo looks like a larger enclosure than the 37G. The shorter plants in the bottom and areas of bare manzanita branches create an effect of greater height.

For the 37G I want to just leave the small palms in the bottom and maybe add a few more short plants, then plant orchids and/or Tillandsia up around the top. It would be fun to look around for some more unusual orchids that will fit well in the space.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Here's an orchid that would probably be a good choice for this replanting project, Barkaria spectabilis. I used to have this one--this is my picture--and now I'm sorry that I sold it off. It's a pretty common species however and I should be able to find another one.

This orchid is a good size and shape. It grows laterally or semi-pendant and it has nice thick white orchid roots. The inflorescence is compact too.

Enven Reptiles

Arachnopeon
Fantastic looking setups mate! i through josh_r's guiding hand will be getting together afew planted setups mostly for green tree pythons, geckos, phlogius spp, trap door spider spp and perhaps space permitting a frog or two

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Fantastic looking setups mate! i through josh_r's guiding hand will be getting together afew planted setups mostly for green tree pythons, geckos, phlogius spp, trap door spider spp and perhaps space permitting a frog or two
Hey I look forward to seeing those setups as you get started with them!

Here's another quick detail shot from the other night. I am going to remove most of these plants for the replanting project.

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
This is a crummy photo, but I wanted to shoot one quick while she was out.

With her molt the avic assumed this amazing dark cobalt blue all over. She is also about 3/4" larger.

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great enclosure.. I do similar tanks with manzanita wood at work but its for aquatic plants and community fish..