???

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not quite sure but I do Know that the juviniles will change color depending on what you feed them. Ranging from black to bright orange. I have 3 or 4 different colors of hissers in my colony. Also once the become adults their diet won't change their color

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just what exactly do you feed them for these kinds of results?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think(not sure though) that the more protien you feed them the oranger they become.
try doing a search for more info

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are the same species, but they show traits that can actually be bred for. Black individuals turn up in my colony from time to time without any sort of dietary change, as well as larger than usual individuals. By selecting and breeding those with the desired traits, some breeders have developed strains favoring these traits.

I don't doubt that diet can influence color, but that is not the case here. All my roaches get the same food all the time, yet I see quite a few variants in there.

Wade

Viridis9

Arachnopeon
Giant & Black Hissers

Wade is correct, both the black hissers and giant hissers are mutations of Gromphadorhina portentosa, the normal hisser.
The black hisser is a color mutation whereas the giants are a size mutation of the normal hisser.
If you have a true black hisser and it is bred to another true black hisser you will produce 100% black hissers, and the same with the giants.
It is not enough to say that they are just simply varients of the normal hissers.
The giants have traits of their own, being much larger horns and alot more pointed than normal hissers are, plus their pronotums are curled up at the front much more so than normal hissers, and as their name implies are quite larger than normal hissers, and do not have too much color variation in them, most of them being a unicolor medium brown color
Blacks, visually speaking look alot more like normal hissers than giants do, except that they are all black.
RoachFreak101