2nd time pet snake species

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I have a BP, 7 scorpions, 1 T and a BD. I want another snake and I don't have that much money and I can't afford super large prey items, and I don't mind big snakes like 6-7 feet at the very most. I don't want a corn or milk snake, and I was planning to get a Hognose, but here, they're really expensive and rare. So you guys know any snake species that are somewhat large, docile and don't require huge prey items. I'm thinking about a Boa like maybe a Dumerils, and i'm not scared of them, it's just i'm scared their bite, but only because their fangs are so big lol. So yeah, only reason Dumerils may be off the list is because I'm 12 and I live at my grandparents and we have a rather small dog, (American Cocker Spaniel) so not that small, and a 3 year old girl. So naturally my grandparents would be worried, even when I got the Ball python lol. So if u guys know any good snakes, please tell me. Thanks! :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their may not be many snakes that fit what you want. I cant think of many larger, cheaper snakes that don't cost more to feed. Plus if you are worried about getting bit their's not much other than a ball python I'd suggest. If you liked hognose, you may want to look at rosy and sand boas. They are a solid snake that has some weight on them while staying small. You may want to look at antaresia species like children's pythons and stimson's pythons. They are cheap, stay small, and are easy to handle if you put the effort into it.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Dumerils will take adult rats when they are full grown, same as your ball python.

If you don't want to feed rats at all and stick with mice, look into rosy boas and sand boas.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What your looking for is a carpet python 4-8 ft depending on sex and sub sp. A tad snappy when young but they quickley out grow this and become extremely docile. Mice and rat feeders and super easy to care for.. Enough morphs for most and they are very affordable and gourgous..

Honorable mentions

Rainbow boas 4-6ft.
With proper and diverse research they aren't a huge leap from BPs as with the other snakes on my list.

Calibar burrowing python.. Unique reaching 2-3 feet.. You can kick them and they wouldn't bite..

Viper boas 18-26 inches can be a tad defensive but not bad.

Canadoia sp.. Pacific tree and ground boas.. Less than six feet slender and not inclined to bite at all.. Get a proven rodent eater ask for pics of it feeding as proof.. In the wild they prefer frogs and lizards.. However most acclimate to mice and or small rats rather easily.

Haitian tree boas same deal as the pacific boas.. They are prone to musking.

Look into rat snakes.. King rats, trans pecos, spilotes, cave dwelling, yellow or blue beautys, radiated.. There are so many long and moderately heavy bodied rats that alot of keepers over look, they can be truly impressive. They are intelligent reactive snakes so if your timid you may ask to handle a few at your LPS to make sure you can work with them.

Rosy boas are cool but they can be pretty snappy..

Yellow, red or black tailed cribos.. Only con is price and availability here in usa anyways.

False water cobra.. Rear fanged Mildy venomous, more inclined to puff up than bite similar venom and bluff tactics as hognose snakes.. They get 5-7 ft and are truly beautiful.. Some musk like the devil though and it smells like a gators cloaca.. Worth it though..

Rough scaled sand boas.. Bout 2ft for females.. No cons to this one at all.

Rainbow snakes under three feet and another snake you would have to step on before it might bite. Get a proven rodent feeder with pic evidence.. Although they are pretty easy to switch to rodents.

African house snakes.. Very calm and prolific breeders maxing out around 2ft. There's a few morphs and subspecies.. No cons to this species at all.. With the right marketing these could become a hobby staple replacing or atleast competing with the natracine crowd..

Btw don't be too afraid of snake bites.. They are generally painless unless your dealing with animals over 8ft or emerald tree boas and to a lesser degree Reticulated pythons. They have massive grabbers! The issue with retic bites is that they sometimes( very rarely) leave slashing wounds.. It's most common during mating season or if the poor animal thinks it needs to fight for it's life It's so very extremely rare however..

Whatever you decide on make sure this is a lifelong commitment.. Trading and rehoming exotics like baseball cards is another hot issue pushing lawmakers and other agencies to ban exotics. Just a blanket statement not aimed at you particularly..

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
personally I'd recommend a black milk snake. they're solid black, 6 to 8 feet, very docile, and usually, don't require any external heat

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
What your looking for is a carpet python 4-8 ft
Okay thanks! Your post was really helpful and so was everyone else's. So I am 12 and I think I could handle it. But u guys know the girth of the carpets? Also what is the general length? Thanks again guys

basin79

ArachnoGod
Btw don't be too afraid of snake bites.. They are generally painless unless your dealing with animals over 8ft or emerald tree boas and to a lesser degree Reticulated pythons. They have massive grabbers! The issue with retic bites is that they sometimes( very rarely) leave slashing wounds.. It's most common during mating season or if the poor animal thinks it needs to fight for it's life It's so very extremely rare however..
Been nailed by a basin ETB and a retic. ETB left a tooth in me that made it's way out after 6 weeks and the 2 retic bites hurt a tremendous amount but where straight bites. I've seen the damage a slashing male can do though. The blokes arm looked like he'd been attacked with a machete.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Okay thanks! Your post was really helpful and so was everyone else's. So I am 12 and I think I could handle it. But u guys know the girth of the carpets? Also what is the general length? Thanks again guys
If you are worried about size and girth get a jungle carpet, they are the smallest of the genus.. Reaching 6ft ish and being about as round as the action end of a baseball bat..

As for being bit I feel ya it's instinctual that we avoid it but at the end of the day if you keep cats I'm sure they have already made you leak worse than most snakes ever will. Just drawing a parallel however, don't get any animal who's temperament may cause you to have an unpleasant experience keeping herps.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sorry for the seemingly negative post but it really isn't.

IF, and look, it's a big if but if a snake does happen to bite you DON'T react by recoiling. Small snakes you'll hurt and large snakes you'll hurt yourself more.

Not that I expect you to get bit but just bare it in mind. Even though small snakes DON'T hurt the shock of them still will cause you to react.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hey guys, what about a Dumeril's Girth?
The myth that dumerils are a dwarf or much smaller species compared to common boa's is just that a myth.. In my previous collection my dumerils both male and female are generally the same size as my Columbian locals.. 6-7 feet isn't uncommon and they are rather heavy bodied.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
You talk about not being able to afford larger prey. Stick to small snakes that will never need anything larger than mice. Rats are much more expensive, especially large and jumbo rats.

Carpet pythons, boa constrictors (including Dumerils), ball pythons will all need large rats. Based on your criteria including your young age and experience level, lower price range including feeding costs, most likely smaller space requirements, your best option is something small like sand boas. They are very interesting snakes, come in a variety of morphs and species, and don't ever need more than mice. Initial cost is on the low side, and the housing requirements are smaller.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Okay, Thank you guys all for your help. Right now I'm going to think about a carpet python, BRB or Hognose. I like a small snake like Hognoses but also like big snakes. In maybe 1 or 2 years i'll get a job and be able to afford larger prey items. Thanks guys :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Okay, Thank you guys all for your help. Right now I'm going to think about a carpet python, BRB or Hognose. I like a small snake like Hognoses but also like big snakes. In maybe 1 or 2 years i'll get a job and be able to afford larger prey items. Thanks guys :)
Just be aware kept properly you'll rarely see a hognose. Not that should put you off. I absolutely love mine.

Cherri

Arachnopeon
There's some beautiful corn snake morphs. Have you seen the Palmetto morph? I had two corns and a rat snake (do not recommend). I second the rosy boa.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Hey thanks guys for all your replies, you were all extremely helpful! I think I may settle for a BRB in 2020 and I'll grab one from Henry Piorun since I live near him.
Just wanted to ask about a BRB's width. Thanks again guys :))))

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Thinner than an equally sized BP. Make sure to keep the humidity high, they are very sensitive to drying out