2nd instar Flatrocks

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any and all info would be greatly apprreciated on how to care for these tiny little guys. And success rates amongst hobbyists for raising these guys.

Pretty excited `bout this spp. , very different from any other of my current collection!:D

Mat

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by chau0046
Any and all info would be greatly apprreciated on how to care for these tiny little guys. And success rates amongst hobbyists for raising these guys.

Pretty excited `bout this spp. , very different from any other of my current collection!:D

Mat
Mat,
at present time I have 4 second instars. I keep them individually in plastic quart jars on a substrate of 50/50 play sand and forest bed. to date none of them have burrowed. I wet the substrate once a week and there are water polymer crystals (aka cricket water NOT the green cricket water and food combo stuff) on top of the substrate (maybe 3 crystals per enclosure). I feed them once or twice a week with a cricket smaller than the scorpions. several of them seem to be timid eaters while the others are robust eaters. I have had other small second instars but several of them drowned in their water dish (I no longer use water dishes for small scorpions) and several others died from fungus or mold as I must have been keeping them too moist.
BTW, I do not have a top on the quart jars for maximum ventilation.
temps are daytime highs of high 80's, low 90's
nighttime lows of low 80's
I hope this helps you some.
Ed

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanx Atavus!

Any idea the time it takes for this spp. to reach maturity? I know there long lived but just for instance, how long have you had yours @ 2nd instar?

Mat

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which species of flatrock, and do you have any idea where the parents of the babies were collected?

Paul

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
absoluteley clueless on that one. very hard to tell from this stage in growth. All i know is that it came out of Texas. I`m pretty amazed at how well it climbs. Can crawl right out the side of a plastic deli cup? My 2nd instar Centruroides couldn`t even doo that. Plus there alot smaller than 2nd instar Emps. By half maybey? I found that strange `cause flat rocks are rather large scorp, fitting in the emp-size category.

Thanx in advance
Mat

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm curious what they look like. If you get a chance to get some pics, post them! I'd like to see!

Take care,

Paul

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well ASAP might have been a little while but here ya go,

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
next time they molt can you get a pic. I have allways wanted to see how they do it. I know they kinda just crawl out of their old exo but I have never seen it

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah. My new 6 inch flatrock climbs up the walls of a flat faunarium and walks around on the top. They have pretty stong legs, i must admit. :)

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
next time they molt can you get a pic. I have allways wanted to see how they do it. I know they kinda just crawl out of their old exo but I have never seen it
Check out this thread. I posted a picture of my emperor in the middle of a molt along with a couple shots right after it finished.

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
has anyone ever made jewelry out of old molts?

if you could glue one shut again and fill it up with wax you could rip the molt off the wax and have a perfect wax casting of a scorpion right?

then you could get that turned into a plaster cast, melt out the wax, and fill the mold with silver or some such. that is a very simplified process but you get the idea.

seems possible. anyone tried it? I think it would work better with youngin's or small species, unless you want some crazy bling :D

biznacho
I once took a jewelry crafting class(was either that or art and i can't paint) and i picked up on the basics of some more advanced techniques while there.