1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 weeks and still nothing.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by mconnachan, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I'm doing it more out of curiosity than anything else, like, what are the chances of finding a 1/4" translucent sling, not a lot, but I'm still going to give it a shot, you never know, but thanks for the encouragement. @cold blood

• Like Like x 1
  2. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnosquire Active Member

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. mconnachan

Thanks pal, always optimistic, I really do hope I find the little one, I'm going to wait until later when it's dark here so around 11pm.

4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You aren't the first, nor the last who had an escape due to improper hole making.

Your reference to fat, is not accurate at all in the context of escapes. What matters more is the width of the carapace. That is what determines if your T can fit through a hole or not. That's the metric you use.

You already own one Brachy. They are all the same generally. Some do look quite different from the others. But 2 pet rocks isn't as exciting, trust me I know from experience.

Diversify your species now, not when you have 30.

G. iheringi is one of the most unique Grammo's out there. Far different in body shape, size (it's the largest Grammo, males reach 6", females 7"), behavior, appetite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mconnachan

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts, I'm definitely going to get a G. iheringi now, especially after your recommendation, cheers @viper69 that's at the top of my list of must have, I wasn't sure what to get, you've just helped no question, as you said they are far different from the usual Brachys and Grammo's, I'm going to order a few sp. once I am back from my vacation one of which will be a G. iheringi.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mconnachan

I've taped the holes, and have made the holes much smaller than the carapace of the other B. albo, so there's no chance of another escapee, thanks for pointing that out, I've seen the YouTube video of the B. hamorri escape, when it squeezes through the tight space and flattens its abdomen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

If you don't want the iheringi, send it my way...that species is so hard to get here...

8. mconnachan

I don't own one at the minute, I'm looing into getting one, they're quite easy to come by over here, a little pricey, but you get what you pay for, I'll post some pictures once I've received the spider. Until then I can only look at other peoples pictures.:(

9. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight

You could always order from the uk there's various sizes available now and a 2cm sling with shipping would cost you around €40 or check out polish sellers. They're a must have for the reasons @viper69 stated I'd also consider G actaeon all the same traits they just don't get quite as large and they lose that cherry red abdomen as they age, it makes them look like a fluffy pulchra

10. mconnachan

I had a thorough search for the wee fella last night, with a red flashlight and nothing, it was worth another try I suppose, but as expected I didn't find the poor wee thing, well I will keep on the look out for the spider but alas I feel it's time to say, if I come across it I come across it if I don't I don't. I'm going to get something to replace the B. albopilosum, a G. iheringi is at the top of my must have at the moment.

11. Andrea82

Thanks for the tip on the Polish! I was going to buy an A.chalcodes subadult female for 50€, but i can order a G.iheringi sling AND a new E.murinus sling with them for that money, shipping included :jawdrop:
    (Sorry for hijacking @mconnachan )

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. mconnachan

Not a problem @Andrea82 your more than welcome to hi-jack my thread anytime you like, as long as you post some pictures when you get your new additions, I'll be posting pictures of my newest additions when I receive them, I've not ordered them yet, but I will when I'm back from my vacation, so another couple of weeks and some nice new additions - I hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Andrea82

Lol, pictures, ahum. I have 3 pixel camera on my five year old smartphone...you sure you want pics?:D

14. mconnachan

In that case haha keep them to yourself...post them anyway, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think!:snaphappy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    With the temps we have here, a sling that size likely would not make it long without water.

Good luck finding it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mconnachan

Thanks @Trenor , I've been on the look out for over 2 weeks now, the temps here are at a steady 70f-75f I'm still living in hope that I may find the wee fella, there's not a lot you can do when something so small escapes, I can assure you though it will never happen again, an a escapee sends you around the twist, even though it's a tiny sling it's still a creature I care about. So I am going to have one last ditch attempt at finding the spider, and after tonight, well, that will be that.

17. mconnachan

I hope you took this the way it was intended @Andrea82 as a joke pal, I thought you would have commented further, yeah post the pictures sweetheart, I would love to see your new additions.

18. Andrea82

He's in Scotland. I doubt the sling will have trouble finding water. :D
    Sure thing, no worries. :)
    I just have limited time online between caring for my family and pets, that's all ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    It rained every day last week here. Still it's very dry and hot (been hitting low 90s during the day) in my T room. :D

It could still be rolling about but after weeks I'd be less inclined to think it made it. Especially as fragile as a 1/4 of an inch sling is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

Thought I would post an inspirational anecdote. I had a hatch of vagans I was individually packaging for a sale and amongst the 500 a couple got away from me. I have a big catch-all container for my extra Coco fiber and several weeks later I opened it up to find one of the prodigal vagans still surviving in there on who knows what for food. It probably helps that vagans are damn near bulletproof and it happened to make its way into a relatively moist environment but it is possible.

• Like Like x 6