1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 weeks and still nothing.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by mconnachan, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I really was hoping not to have to post this but the time has come. One of my B. albopilosum slings escaped from it's enclosure, a 2oz deli cup, it was hovering around one of the vents(holes) its been nearly two weeks now and still no sign of it. I've searched high and low, moved furniture, cleared shelves, you name it, I've done it, I'm so pissed at myself for making the holes too large and letting the sling escape. The other sling is doing great, the holes in that deli cup are smaller for some reason, I used the same tool to make all the holes, there was just one that had a slight tear in it. I can assure you that will never happen again, I'm still on the look out for it but my head is telling me there's no point it's only 1/4" so the chances of finding it are extremely slim.:bag::banghead::(<--how I'm feeling about the whole situation.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  2. keks

keks Arachnobaron Active Member

That's bad. I hope you find it anyway, my fingers are crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mconnachan

Thanks pal, I'm living I hope. I doubt I'll find it now it's been nearly two weeks, I'm still looking and praying I find the wee fella.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Perhaps, one day, 5 years from now, you will see a movement in the corner of your eye. Is it a mouse? NO! It is your long lost prodigal albo! ;)

Seriously, though. It is summer(ish, it is Scotland after all) so your sling may still be alive. Don't give up hope!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. mconnachan

No I'm not, I'm looking very day, hopefully it will turn up sooner rather than later. Thanks for your concern. @sasker

6. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

That sucks man. Searching with a red flashlight after dark is a method that seems to make for good result. I hope you find it, but it being a sling, it probably became someone else's food. House spiders are the biggest concern when a sling is on the loose.
    If you used a soldering iron or a heated nail, the holes get bigger if you keep the tip in the hole for a little longer, and most tips and nails are tapered so the further you stick it in, the bigger the holes get. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. mconnachan

I use a screw, as it makes for a sound secure hole(usually)these lids were much more fragile than the usual ones, the other B. albo sling is a wee fatty so it has no chance of escape, especially since I taped up the holes, then poked smaller holes in the original ones.

8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

The surefire way to find your lost sling is to put something else in that enclosure.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mconnachan

Yep it's seems that way, I am on the look out for a different sp. not sure what yet, but i'm open to suggestions, I'm thinking a B. boehmei, love them or a G. iheringi, or a....lol...there are so many stunning sp. to choose from. I'm just concerned for this we one as it was Nicaraguan, I love them with their curled golden setae, I am still living in hope.

10. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

Makes for a good excuse to buy a new T...'honeeeeey, one got out again, can I get another??'
    :hilarious:
    (Not making fun of you @mconnachan , nothing fun about losing a sling ;) )

• Like Like x 2
  11. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnosquire Active Member

Definitely :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
  12. mconnachan

I know pal, it's always a good excuse to persuade my better half, mind you she did allow me to get a few the other week, so we'll just have to wait and see, "I'm looking for something unusual to fill that huge void that's been left in my life" crying profusely....lol...it's worth a try I suppose.

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

This should be in T chat.

Good luck with your sling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  14. mconnachan

Don't care where it should be, the fact I've lost one of my T's didn't make me think "oh where's the appropriate place to post this" I posted and that's all. Like it even matters. Thanks for your concern anyway.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. mconnachan

If you would like it moved ask a mod to do so, I can't see the harm that it's doing here.

16. mconnachan

@keks @sasker @Andrea82 @Ungoliant @ShyDragoness @Venom1080 thanks for all your replies, it means so much to me that you've all taken the time to post in my thread, obviously I'll keep you all updated as to the outcome, but after this length of time I think it's a lost cause, thanks again guys, I knew I could count on your support.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Well, I follow the questions and discussions subforum. It matters to me that I see threads that are actually questions and discussions relevant to the hobby.
    And no, I'm not going to bother them with something as small as that.

18. mconnachan

Yep I'm always optimistic, hoping to find the wee one, but as said I think it's long gone.....

19. mconnachan

I've got a red flash light, I'm definitely going to try that tonight, thanks @Andrea82

• Like Like x 2
  20. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

good luck locating it.

• Like Like x 1