1st old world tarantula

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
If you think that you can handle this, simply, you can. If you don't have issues when doing the above around certain fast, somewhat high strung NW T's, then you can: no matter if inside there's a Ceratogyrus spp. or else :)
Thanks <3 I think I handle myself very well around my Ts.
Personally I think you should wait until you rehouse adult NWs. As Ts grow in size their confidence grows too. This is evident in OWs. The OWs I have owned generally grow faster than my NWs, except for 2 of my larger NWs.

OWs generally outgrow their owner's skill set, with many people looking to give away their OW because their speed, venom etc.
This is my fear. I'm not sure if I'll get one yet. My husband isn't on board for an old world yet. I'm in the research stage of things. Research and dreams...

The hairs on new world are devastating to me. Even rubber gloves don’t help.
I've been lucky so far and had no issues with this.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

This is my fear. I'm not sure if I'll get one yet. My husband isn't on board for an old world yet. I'm in the research stage of things. Research and dreams...

I've been lucky so far and had no issues with this.

There's no rush, never did understand people's rush to get an OW. Before you get an OW, get an Psalmo if you don't have one. If you can't handle that, which is fine, don't get an OW.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
There's no rush, never did understand people's rush to get an OW. Before you get an OW, get an Psalmo if you don't have one. If you can't handle that, which is fine, don't get an OW.
I have 1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei about 4" and I've had it since 2i. It's one of my favorites. I think I got it last spring 2017.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Then there's no issues, aside maybe a bit of overthinking due to the whole OW's thing. I mean, if you can properly care for Psalmopoeus spp. there's no problems at all for (example) Poecilotheria spp. :angelic:

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Then there's no issues, aside maybe a bit of overthinking due to the whole OW's thing. I mean, if you can properly care for Psalmopoeus spp. there's no problems at all for (example) Poecilotheria spp. :angelic:
I think I definitely overthink having an ow. Ahh what's the rush though, right? It will happen for me eventually.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Based off of the experience I have had I would say you're probably okay so long as you don't start with H.maculata or worse, S.calceatum. These guys are the most defensive, quick to startle, unpredictable tarantulas I have ever worked with. With this said there are better options then others and in my opinion those would be H.pulchripes, P.miranda, M.balfouri, and Ceratogyrus sp.. I believe the H.pulchripes is great because it has some of the most striking colors I have ever seen on a tarantula. After a molt they are a little ugly in my opinion (blue seems black on the legs) but as they harden and go thorough intermolt to premolt they are gorgeous. They are also well tempered, give threat poses yet never actually strike, and don't seem to startle easily. I understand that every specimen is different so I want to add that this has been my experience with H.pulchripes, I'm sure there are others with insane ones. Only downside with this species is the ridiculously high price. I also find P.miranda great. I had 4 specimens, now 3, soon to be 2, and every one of them has been amazing. I have never seen a threat pose once from either of them, as well as I have never had them run laps around their enclosure or run for that matter. They are insanely calm for an old world arboreal species. Heck, they are calm in general, perk with them also is usually you can pick a sling up for pretty cheap. For M.balfouri It is the same I find in terms of attitude to the H.pulchripes. I also find they look similar. Though, the M.balfouri is usually cheaper then the H.pulchripes. I also want to mention that they have similar color schemes, if you want a gold body and blue on the legs go with H.pulchripes, if you like a cream colored body and blue legs go with the M.balfouri. Lastly, I have never owned a Ceratogyrus species but I have seen many people recommend them. If that many people vouch for them they have to be pretty good, plus, let's be honest, they are gorgeous.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@Vinny2915

Thanks for all the good info. H pulchripes is definitely on my want list. When I get M Balfouri, I want to try a communal setup and I definitely don't feel ready to try that just yet. I'll have to look into the Ceratogyrus species a little.

cold blood

Staff member
I love the look of these, they are a bit reclusive right? Still, for me, that's a T I hope to one day keep comfortably.
Reclusive and defensive.....the 2 most reclusive ts i have are H. mac and P. irminia....the 2 most defensive i own are P. cancerides and P. irminia.

OBT is also right there in both catagories.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Vinny2915

Thanks for all the good info. H pulchripes is definitely on my want list. When I get M Balfouri, I want to try a communal setup and I definitely don't feel ready to try that just yet. I'll have to look into the Ceratogyrus species a little.
M. balfouri are steady but small eaters. They don't plump out like many NWs do, abdomen remains relatively slender compared to NW and other OW species too. For Cerato any are good, marshalli is really nice. Also with M balfouri, sexually dimorphic upon maturity.