1st death :( preservation???

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I woke up and my dune scorpion was dead. In a wile I’ll post a pic of the setup to make sure the setup wasn’t completely wrong or maybe it just died of old ag... Anyways as far as preserving the body goes can I do it without putting the body in a jar or dissecting it like drying it out for example. Thanks in advance.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Its more than likely wild caught. They're one of the most common scorps in the hobby . Wild caughts are always unpredictable

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Smaller scorpions like dune scorpions generally dry out and preserve very well. I usually put mine on a screened lid or ventilated bug cup lid (so air gets to both sides) and put them out in my garage to dry. I prefer that over absorbent materials like paper towels or egg crate because sometimes body fluids will cause them to stick to those, and getting the bits of paper off can damage the scorpion or bug. It's hot enough - particularly now - that they dry out pretty quickly. If it is recently dead and still flexible, you can position the legs, claws, and tail for a more lifelike pose. One it's dried, you can put it in a shadow box or riker mount box for display.

Last edited:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Smaller scorpions like dune scorpions generally dry out and preserve very well. I usually put mine on a screened lid or ventilated bug cup lid (so air gets to both sides) and put them out in my garage to dry. I prefer that over absorbent materials like paper towels or egg crate because sometimes body fluids will cause them to stick to those, and getting the bits of paper off can damage the scorpion or but. It's hot enough - particularly now - that they dry out pretty quickly. If it is recently dead and still flexible, you can position the legs, claws, and tail for a more lifelike pose. One it's dried, you can put it in a shadow box or riker mount box for display.
ah damm
wish I knew I just preserved it as a wet specimen...
Thanks for replying though and clearing that up