1cm Sling Housing Question (First Ever T!)

TheRedKnee

Arachnopeon
Hey guys!

So I have my first little T sling (Mexican Red Knee) coming next week from The Spider Shop, very excited! I have been interested in the hobby for a long time but now I actually have a T on the way I want to be as prepared as possible (be gentle with me for being a newbie!) I have a quick question about housing the new sling.

I have ordered a 30mm wide sling pot (these are usually the ones they are shipped in) and just to be on the safe side I have also ordered a 76mm x 76mm vented box and some 12oz Deli Cups.

So my question is which would be best to house a 1cm sling in?
The 30mm wide Sling Pot (25ml):
[/IMG]

The 76mm x 76mm Vented Box:

Or the 12oz Deli Cups: Don't think you need a picture for these :astonished:

Whichever I put the little one in, I will be creative and use the end of a golf tea to use as a teeny tiny water bowl.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd use that vial. I use those for all my slings under 1/2".

Water dish is unneeded. Just keep the sub slightly moist and feed frequently. (1-5 times a week)

You can out a strand of spahgnum fiber moss in there and keep that damp to serve as a water dish and hide.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
What's the species you're getting? This will influence your best option ;)

I agree that the pill vial should work for just about anything at that size, but for speedy species with fast growth rates I find it nice to have some extra space to work around and let it run around if it freaks out.

Edit: just saw your user name is TheRedKnee lol in which case I wouldn't worry about speed or growth rate lol

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’d use that square bottomed vial ! Man I want some of those. You could lock down all your vials into a grid on racks that’d be super nice against tipping!

TheRedKnee

Arachnopeon
What's the species you're getting? This will influence your best option ;)

I agree that the pill vial should work for just about anything at that size, but for speedy species with fast growth rates I find it nice to have some extra space to work around and let it run around if it freaks out.
It's a Mexican Red Knee so a slow growth rate! I guess il just pierce some ventilation holes in the top and go with the vial?

TheRedKnee

Arachnopeon
I'd use that vial. I use those for all my slings under 1/2".

Water dish is unneeded. Just keep the sub slightly moist and feed frequently. (1-5 times a week)

You can out a strand of spahgnum fiber moss in there and keep that damp to serve as a water dish and hide.
Thanks for your reply, I have some spahgnum moss so I will use that for keeping the T hydrated. I'm gonna go with the vial.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
4oz condiment cups are what I usually go with, the vial will do though just add some ventilation holes to the lid (and the sides if you can, it's a bit of a ball-ache to do without a drill/dremel though).

Just keep a small clump of sphagnum moss in there and pipette a couple of drops of water on it every few days, this doubles as a hide and water source, feed twice a week up until about 1.5" and you're good.