1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17cm Ethmostigmus rubripes - Tiger Form - Feeding

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by BB8, Jan 20, 2019.

1. BB8

BB8 Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey, this is my tiger form, she is exactly 17cm long :) I managed to film her catching a 3rd medium size cricket in slo mo mode on my phoneVid here
    P1190038.JPG P1190043.JPG P1200046.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Is that 17cm body length or with terminals/antennae? Either way, that's a very nice pede!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BB8

not in that photo because she is scrunched up, but from terminals to face is 17cm. I have measured the distance from the first photo . Thanks man yours are lookin fantastic

4. Staehilomyces

Ah right, I missed that. My biggest rubripes (also a tiger) is 18cm body-length, and she's terrifying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB8

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!! 18cm is awesome, dont know if you remember my green one, but it died :(

6. BB8

dude takes a lot of patients to get her lined up like this haha, will ya give me 17cm now ;)

Attached Files:

7. Staehilomyces

Yeah, she's a monster. 18cm body length so ~20cm if you include terminals (which is generally not how pedes are measured).
    And yes, I do remember your green form. I presume age could've killer her - at that size she was almost certainly very old.

8. BB8

ah good to know, she is 15 cm then. My green's back legs went black and it spread to her ass, 2 nights after i discovered it she died. This may sound weird but i had a dream that she got free and i let her go... when i woke she was dead. true story

• Love Love x 1
  9. BB8

@Staehilomyces i cant start a conversation with you as your inbox is full. I wanted to ask, should i be worried if my tiger all of a sudden has insane hunger and wont stop eating? For the past 4 days she has eaten constantly.. 3-4 crickets a day + still munching on the slice of apple i put in there. She is even feeding during the day!

She has thickend out quite a bit also, maybe she is getting ready to moult?

10. Staehilomyces

If she's eating, she isn't premolt. Rubripes in general are gluttons, so I wouldn't worry.
    And most of my pedes eat during the day.

11. BB8

Thanks mate, she is still eating... found a giant grasshopper and she has been eating that for 4 hrs.. oh and i got a scorpion today :)

I feel like i saved it from the petstore. All they called it was a desert scorpion.. but the sand they had it in was saturated wet.

12. BB8

13. BB8

hey its definitely a rubripes right? i'm second guessing myself because she looks very similar to your morsitan pics... how can you tell the difference?

14. Staehilomyces

Rubripes have a cephalic plate that is overlapped by the first tergite. In Scolopendra spp. it's the opposite: the cephalic plate overlaps the first tergite.

Yours is definitely a rubripes

15. BB8

i have to google this so i know what your talkin bout :p

16. BB8

ok so,

rubripes: 1st body segment overlaps the head plate

morsitans: Head plate overlaps the first body segment

correct? i can see the differences now

thanks mate

17. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnodemon Active Member

Woah, looks like a much larger version of S. Polymorpha

• Like Like x 1
  18. patrick nimbs

patrick nimbs Arachnosquire Active Member

My ethmostigmus rubripes is exactly the same! The only thing that is different between them is the sizes (as you probably already know it is 16cm in length excluding the antennae. But he frightens the life out of my sister! When I showed her the pede she ran a mile!!!

19. patrick nimbs

Ethmostigmus rubripes looks more like a S.cingulata. You are right With the body, though. But the head more looks like a scolopendra cingulata head, because I accidentally confused my ethmostigmus rubripes to be a S.cingulata, but I only found out the correct species is that we don’t have S.cingulata in Australia and Staehilomyces biggest centipede is identical to my ethmostigmus rubripes, and so is the one in this thread, is exactly the same one as my one. My one is the smallest (16cm) inc. terminal legs.

20. patrick nimbs

What is a cephalic plate? I want to see if my rubripes has it! Much appreciated!