$1000 US.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
So.....A mystery box for $1000. What the heck ,could possibly be in a T mystery box,
that would make it this valuable?.
Anyone care to speculate on what may be in it for this price??.What would you expect to
receive for that kind of money?.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would buy a mystery box. It's akin to asking the takeaway to decide what you're going to be eating.

But a mystery box for $1000?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I were dumb enough to purchase a $1,000 mystery box, I would expect to feel ripped off when I opened it!

Sure, it might contain some exceptionally rare and expensive spiders - or it could just contain a thousand or so Lasiodora parahybanus spiderlings, which theoretically could be worth well over $1,000 - if you could find buyers for all of them! - but otherwise are just a whole bunch of hungry mouths to feed.

The whole mystery box thing is not for me. Why on earth would I want a box full of spiders that someone else doesn't want and is trying to get rid of? Especially since there is no way of knowing ahead of time if it's going to contain species that I'm even interested in keeping, or have appropriate set ups for?

People who sell spiders know the value of what they are selling, and generally speaking, can get a lot more money out of their desirable spiders by selling them individually and clearly identified. It's all the stuff they don't want or can't sell individually that ends up as freebies or stuffed in a mystery box.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Rare Chilobrachys sp. "Electric Blue" adult female plus adult male? Rare Pamphobeteus sp. adult female(s) plus adult male(s)? Those are the only species I can think of off the top of my head that might be worth that much in a mystery box. I agree with @chanda and @basin79, mystery boxes are just not a good idea most of the time, unless you have a mystery box for a genus of tarantulas and you know exactly what you got after you receive it.
Where did you see this mystery box for sale?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Crispy Crawler

Arachnopeon
Surprises can be fun, and I definitely couldn't justify spending 1000 bucks myself. But to throw away a thousand dollars on a hobby can be nothing for some.(I've seen the collections in these forums) So for the sake of fun we can speculate about what we could receive in a mystery box.
Other subscription or "mystery boxes" available have different levels. Out of a 1000 dollar box I would expect premium products, items, or in this case species. 1000 Lasiodora parahybanus in a mystery box wouldn't come from a reputable let alone respectable vendor. Sometimes quality stuff doesn't get sold off because it can be expensive.
If I were to get a pair of t. Seladonia slings with some lesser extras, or 1 seladonia and mutiple mid priced T's, would make me happy. Possibly some breeding pairs of certain species could be exciting to receive.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I would expect that it probably has several high dollar specimens and possibly even a couple sexed females.

Yes, the shops know what the spiders are worth and they also know what would happen if they just shipped out a bunch LP. Expensive spiders can be hard to unload, especially if they are unsexed. so i can completely understand from a dollars view why a company would be willing to trade the theoretical profit of selling something at retail for a 20% less, ACTUAL from making the sale on something that wasn’t moving.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who is selling a $1,000 mystery box? One hell of a gamble for the buyer IMO

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Who is selling a $1,000 mystery box?
Palp Friction .Ya..1000 US$.Better be mind blowing,but cant think of anything that comes close
to being worth that money.And I doubt the T.seladonia story.Maybe Megaphobema peterklaasi.

basin79

ArachnoGod
For a $1000 you'd be far better off buying the tarantulas you actually want then get a boat load you don't.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah, a mystery box for $1000 reminds to me those Roma city hustlers that, just a couple of years after our defeat in WWII, tried (succesfully, sometimes) to sell the Fontana di Trevi (!!!!) to American turists, lol.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So.....A mystery box for $1000. What the heck ,could possibly be in a T mystery box,
that would make it this valuable?.
Anyone care to speculate on what may be in it for this price??.What would you expect to
receive for that kind of money?.
And they say tsrantula hobby is cheap!?:angelic:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Didn't TarantulaDan get a £1,000 one from The Spider Shop and they basically just sent him a bunch of Phormingochilus sp. "Sabah Blue"?

I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would buy a mystery box.
Some people like surprises, there's always a chance you'll get some random species that you'd never normally buy and end up really enjoying them.

I agree with @chanda and @basin79, mystery boxes are just not a good idea most of the time, unless you have a mystery box for a genus of tarantulas and you know exactly what you got after you receive it.
You can usually narrow down what you get in one by specifying whether you only want NW/OW, terrestrials/fossorials/arboreals, specific genera, Ts from specific regions, or list what you have to avoid getting duplicates.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Didn't TarantulaDan get a £1,000 one from The Spider Shop and they basically just sent him a bunch of Phormingochilus sp. "Sabah Blue"?

Some people like surprises, there's always a chance you'll get some random species that you'd never normally buy and end up really enjoying them.

You can usually narrow down what you get in one by specifying whether you only want NW/OW, terrestrials/fossorials/arboreals, specific genera, Ts from specific regions, or list what you have to avoid getting duplicates.
A random species? That's what forums like this are for. You see tarantulas and think I'd like 1 of those. Rather than be lumped with a load of tarantulas you didn't want.

Don't get me wrong. I love surprises so long as it isn't a pet, food or ale.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
A random species? That's what forums like this are for. You see tarantulas and think I'd like 1 of those. Rather than be lumped with a load of tarantulas you didn't want.

Don't get me wrong. I love surprises so long as it isn't a pet, food or ale.
Or a toy!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Palp Friction actually has some rare or very unique T.'s, which might be worth "something" for the $1000 box. I wouldn't do it, it's hit or miss and you don't know what they are so you can't prepare enclosures ahead of time. 1000 LP's sounds possible for freebies with the $1000 mystery box. It's literally just like loot boxes in gaming, it's hit or miss. If I was to buy a $1000 mystery box, I would be so mad to get B. albo's, LP's, or some common species with the mix.

Jokes aside, I probably picture a Xenesthis sp. with a Pampho sp. in a $1000 mystery box, but I don't think any mystery box is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: