10 Gallon Plastic Tub - What can I put in it?

Mork

Arachnopeon
I actually just created an account to ask this, and I'll probably be on the site to ask many more things. I'm looking for any land invertebrate that can be housed in a plastic 10 gallon tub (with lid). If what I do find needs a heat lamp or mat, can I use it on plastic? Thanks for reading and maybe responding, I look forward to whatever I decide to keep.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Most inverts don’t need heat so invert wise
You could put nearly any terrestrial tarantula, centipede, millipede or scorpion.
What are you looking for in an invert chill defensive active big small?

Mork

Arachnopeon
Most inverts don’t need heat so invert wise
You could put nearly any terrestrial tarantula, centipede, millipede or scorpion.
What are you looking for in an invert chill defensive active big small?
My current plan is to drill holes into the top and sides for air. Anything over 1” should be good. While I would like something active, when I open it I have to remove the whole lid, so preferably nothing that can hop or quickly climb out. I could feed live food, but I’d rather something that doesn’t require crickets or worms. It’s not important if they’re aggressive or venomous. Thanks so much for replying.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
My current plan is to drill holes into the top and sides for air. Anything over 1” should be good. While I would like something active, when I open it I have to remove the whole lid, so preferably nothing that can hop or quickly climb out. I could feed live food, but I’d rather something that doesn’t require crickets or worms. It’s not important if they’re aggressive or venomous. Thanks so much for replying.
tarantulas can climb but unless you get a really bolty species it most likely won't zip out. Many species of tarantulas are always out on display
Scorpions can't hide and are quite active at dusk to the night.
centipedes would zip out of there probably and you seem like a beginner.
These all require live crickets unless you want something like a millipede but unless you have 5 of them you don't get to see them very often
I'll leave some suggestions
Tarantulas:
Any Brachypelma
Any Aphonopelma
GBB T
L. parahybana if your into big spiders
A. geniculata if your into pretty big spiders
Scorpions:
heterometrus species
hadurus Arizonensis

Mork

Arachnopeon
tarantulas can climb but unless you get a really bolty species it most likely won't zip out. Many species of tarantulas are always out on display
Scorpions can't hide and are quite active at dusk to the night.
centipedes would zip out of there probably and you seem like a beginner.
These all require live crickets unless you want something like a millipede but unless you have 5 of them you don't get to see them very often
I'll leave some suggestions
Tarantulas:
Any Brachypelma
Any Aphonopelma
GBB T
L. parahybana if your into big spiders
A. geniculata if your into pretty big spiders
Scorpions:
heterometrus species
hadurus Arizonensis
I've actually just found a new 15 gallon with a screen cover, so I think I'll be using that. I'll decide on either a large spider or a scorpion. I would be considering a centipede more seriously if I knew for certain I could house it. While I wouldn't consider myself a beginner, I'm certainly not that experienced. Again, thanks a lot for the help and I'll decide what I'll be getting soon.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I've actually just found a new 15 gallon with a screen cover, so I think I'll be using that. I'll decide on either a large spider or a scorpion.
I don't know about scorpions or centipedes, but screen lids are bad for tarantulas as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in them.

Last edited:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I've actually just found a new 15 gallon with a screen cover, so I think I'll be using that. I'll decide on either a large spider or a scorpion. I would be considering a centipede more seriously if I knew for certain I could house it. While I wouldn't consider myself a beginner, I'm certainly not that experienced. Again, thanks a lot for the help and I'll decide what I'll be getting soon.
yeah screen lids aren’t really good for tarantulas but doesn’t really matter for centipedes and scorpions as much.
I’d stick with the 10 gallon as you can keep almost any invert.
If you want a big tarantula I’d reccomend A. Geniculata big, bulky, and ferocious with a striking red and white/ black coloration and always out for display. You could probably House a centipede but the venom is pretty brutal so I’d reccomend something like a polymorpha before getting the big dehanni or you could just dive straight in. Should be fine as long as don’t mess with it. Just make sure if the pede is 8 inches make sure there’s like 9-10 inches from the top. But pedes aren’t active and sometimes you could go a month with out seeing them.

Mork

Arachnopeon
yeah screen lids aren’t really good for tarantulas but doesn’t really matter for centipedes and scorpions as much.
I’d stick with the 10 gallon as you can keep almost any invert.
If you want a big tarantula I’d reccomend A. Geniculata big, bulky, and ferocious with a striking red and white/ black coloration and always out for display. You could probably House a centipede but the venom is pretty brutal so I’d reccomend something like a polymorpha before getting the big dehanni or you could just dive straight in. Should be fine as long as don’t mess with it. Just make sure if the pede is 8 inches make sure there’s like 9-10 inches from the top. But pedes aren’t active and sometimes you could go a month with out seeing them.
Is there any way I could cover the screen to prevent that and still provide ventilation?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Is there any way I could cover the screen to prevent that and still provide ventilation?
The screen can be replaced with plexiglass with many many holes drilled in it, or bedsheet type cloth can be tacked/hot glued to it.

I’d rather something that doesn’t require crickets or worms. It’s not important if they’re aggressive or venomous.
You pretty much limited yourself to a green iguana, or certain types of geckos. The iguana will outgrow your enclosure.

Mork

Arachnopeon
The screen can be replaced with plexiglass with many many holes drilled in it, or bedsheet type cloth can be tacked/hot glued to it.

You pretty much limited yourself to a green iguana, or certain types of geckos. The iguana will outgrow your enclosure.
I have a bin for crickets, but I don't have a lot of them. I'll just pick a bunch more up at the store.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I have a bin for crickets, but I don't have a lot of them. I'll just pick a bunch more up at the store.
OK, I thought maybe you didn't want to use any type of feeder, that opens the books up wide on the type of animal.

Emperor Scorpion would be at the top of the list then. (maybe some death beetles for cage cleaning duties)

You would need to cover most of the screen top for that but for retaining moisture, and you could just use saran wrap, or change to plexiglass with much fewer holes in it.

A larger 6-7" tarantula would be good too. Green Bottle Blue or Chilean rose hair. Those can be kept dry with a water dish. But the screen would definitely need covering, and you would need 2/3 depth deep substrate (cocofiber/potting soil)

It also sounds like you want adult/full grown animals. They cost a bit more, but have less hassle and dangers of growing difficulties/deaths.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I left out leopard gecko. They will pretty much only eat insects, and require dry substrate, a heating pad and a water dish. (no screen top worries)

But they aren't as exciting as a scorpion or tarantula. and are noctournal.

Mork

Arachnopeon
I left out leopard gecko. They will pretty much only eat insects, and require dry substrate, a heating pad and a water dish. (no screen top worries)

But they aren't as exciting as a scorpion or tarantula. and are noctournal.[/QUOTE
Aren’t cresteds the only ones who don’t need insects?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I'm not too up on geckos but there is at least one that eats some kind of paste baby food stuff

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
OK, I thought maybe you didn't want to use any type of feeder, that opens the books up wide on the type of animal.

Emperor Scorpion would be at the top of the list then. (maybe some death beetles for cage cleaning duties)

You would need to cover most of the screen top for that but for retaining moisture, and you could just use saran wrap, or change to plexiglass with much fewer holes in it.

A larger 6-7" tarantula would be good too. Green Bottle Blue or Chilean rose hair. Those can be kept dry with a water dish. But the screen would definitely need covering, and you would need 2/3 depth deep substrate (cocofiber/potting soil)

It also sounds like you want adult/full grown animals. They cost a bit more, but have less hassle and dangers of growing difficulties/deaths.
You can’t keep death feigning beetles with emperor scorpions

Mork

Arachnopeon
I've decided on a Pinktoe tarantula, I'd actually rather them be younger than older, but it's not too important. Of course, I'll make sure to keep the screen safe and provide ventilation.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
I've decided on a Pinktoe tarantula, I'd actually rather them be younger than older, but it's not too important. Of course, I'll make sure to keep the screen safe and provide ventilation.
Those are arboreal tarantulas. Just make sure the enclosure has more height than floor space. Could you post a picture of the tub/terrarium?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Here is my Avicularia avicularia enclosure, it was guided by the brilliant minds here on the forum.

The screening is going to get the cloth treatment when the spider rearranges next.

Mork

Arachnopeon
Here is my Avicularia avicularia enclosure, it was guided by the brilliant minds here on the forum.

The screening is going to get the cloth treatment when the spider rearranges next.
Don't worry, I understand the needs of arboreal tarantulas and provided plenty of vertical climbing room. Thanks for the advice, though.