1 1/2 inch baby brachypelma albopilosum

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
wold it be ok to feed it maggots along with wax worms untill its big enough for crickets?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
At 1.5 inches? Its big enough for a small cricket, surely. My C. cyaneopubescens and A. geniculata were both getting crickets at that size and even slightly smaller, and B. albos are reported to have comparable feeding responses.
You can also crush the heads of the crickets and theyll squirm around for a bit without worrying about... whatever youre worried about.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't feed any T maggots, unleas you plan on culturing them yourself for a few generations before feeding. Even then, (this could be wrong, it is just my train of thought) since flies are worthless nutritional wise I would think maggots would be about the same, so they wouldn't make very good feeder.

You could feed the sling prekilled larger crickets, or live small crickets. Slings will accept appropriately sized live prey at any size. If you think a feeder is too big for the sling just keep an eye on it when you feed, the sling will reject and avoid the prey if it's too big and attack and kill it if it isn't. If you see the sling avoiding the feeder, or if the sling seems to be struggling to kill it then prekilled prey is just as effective.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I wouldn't feed any T maggots, unleas you plan on culturing them yourself for a few generations before feeding. Even then, (this could be wrong, it is just my train of thought) since flies are worthless nutritional wise I would think maggots would be about the same, so they wouldn't make very good feeder.

You could feed the sling prekilled larger crickets, or live small crickets. Slings will accept appropriately sized live prey at any size. If you think a feeder is too big for the sling just keep an eye on it when you feed, the sling will reject and avoid the prey if it's too big and attack and kill it if it isn't. If you see the sling avoiding the feeder, or if the sling seems to be struggling to kill it then prekilled prey is just as effective.
thx for the info i just live a 20 min drive from rainbow mealworms so i was thinking 6 bux for 250 maggots i could feed it a few maggots per day but if nutrition wise maggots are junk its gona be crickets then

Devin B

Arachnobaron
thx for the info i just live a 20 min drive from rainbow mealworms so i was thinking 6 bux for 250 maggots i could feed it a few maggots per day but if nutrition wise maggots are junk its gona be crickets then
I doubt it would eat a few a day thats way to much. A couple a week would be better.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
thx wasnt sure if it could take a cricket at that size yet
If it won't take a live cricket, try pre-killing it and leaving it near the burrow or hide. Remove any uneaten prey 24 hours later.

Even then, (this could be wrong, it is just my train of thought) since flies are worthless nutritional wise I would think maggots would be about the same, so they wouldn't make very good feeder.
Insect larvae and adults are not always the same in terms of whether they make good feeders. For example, mealworms (the larvae of darkling beetles) and their pupae are great feeders, but I would not use the adult beetles (except when they are soft and white right after molting) due to the hard shells.

Mealworms are good meals (I prefer them over crickets for slings), but if you keep them at room temperature, a single tarantula won't eat 250 before they mature into beetles. (If you keep the mealworms cool, they don't mature as quickly.)

I feed small mealworms to my slings about twice a week.

Be sure to crush a mealworm's head before feeding it to your tarantula so that it can't burrow or bite your tarantula. (Mealworms have strong mandibles.)

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
If it won't take a live cricket, try pre-killing it and leaving it near the burrow or hide. Remove any uneaten prey 24 hours later.

Insect larvae and adults are not always the same in terms of whether they make good feeders. For example, mealworms (the larvae of darkling beetles) and their pupae are great feeders, but I would not use the adult beetles (except when they are soft and white right after molting) due to the hard shells.

Mealworms are good meals (I prefer them over crickets for slings), but if you keep them at room temperature, a single tarantula won't eat 250 before they mature into beetles. (If you keep the mealworms cool, they don't mature as quickly.)

I feed small mealworms to my slings about twice a week.

Be sure to crush a mealworm's head before feeding it to your tarantula so that it can't burrow or bite your tarantula. (Mealworms have strong mandibles.)
thx for the replies and the good info you guys i am sure i will have more questionsafter i get my tarantula but ya i didnt think about it not finishing up the food fast enough girlfriend not gona be happy at all with 100 plus flies buzzing around in the house haha she is already freaked out over crickets ever since i had one escape year or two ago when i was feeding my g rosea and she woke up with it crawling in her hair oops on that one haha

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i didnt think about it not finishing up the food fast enough girlfriend not gona be happy at all with 100 plus flies buzzing around in the house
Try getting a small quantity of mealworms. They are pretty much escape-proof as larvae and adults (beetles) -- I don't even put a lid on the mealworm and beetle containers.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maggots are not the same as mealworms. Maggots turn into flies, mealworms turn into beetles.

Mealworms are a widely accepted staple food in this hobby, so knock yourself out. But heads up, those 250 mealworms will be dead LONG before your spider eats them. Mealworms are meaty, your spider will likely take 2-5 before refusing food until a molt (which takes months). Let alone eating a couple per day. A couple per week is plenty.