🕷 True Spider Sling Questions 🕸 Phidippus Regius and Eresus Walkenaeri

CharliesWeb

Arachnopeon
Hello there!

I’m new to the hobby and have recently acquired 9 (originally 10 but one died the day after they arrived) Phidippus Regius slings. I also found one Eresus Walkenaeri sling and immediately scooped that up too.

I had prepared these little 2” x 2” enclosures ahead of time, but now I’m worried they are too ventilated or large for my slings. They have 3 large holes with mesh over it and 6 tiny holes on 2 sides and on top. I’ve had the regals in them for 2 weeks and all of them have eaten, some have webbed. I moved my Eresus this morning into a smaller vile with less ventilation as the breeder suggested.

Are these little cubes over ventilated or too large for my slings?

Should I just add more moss to them?

Should I move them all to little vials with less ventilation?

Is this WAY too much light for these slings?

Or am I just overthinking things and they’re fine in heavily ventilated enclosures?

haha paranoid sling keeper here 🙏 Thanks for your help in advance!

Also… I’ve been trying to add very tiny droplets of water but they dry out within minutes. Now I’m thinking I’ll just switch back to adding a slightly moist paper towel in the corner and keep the little guys in these cubes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
If the holes are larger than your spider's carapace they will be able to escape.

You can spray a corner with a mister and they'll drink if need be, they get most of their moisture from the prey they eat.

CharliesWeb

Arachnopeon
If the holes are larger than your spider's carapace they will be able to escape.

You can spray a corner with a mister and they'll drink if need be, they get most of their moisture from the prey they eat.
thanks! Yes I’ve read about the holes and think I will glue mesh over the little ones just in case. I’m afraid to spray because they’re so tiny and I know the droplets can be a problem for them due to surface tension. Do you think moist paper towel is ok. I change them often to prevent mold?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
thanks! Yes I’ve read about the holes and think I will glue mesh over the little ones just in case. I’m afraid to spray because they’re so tiny and I know the droplets can be a problem for them due to surface tension. Do you think moist paper towel is ok. I change them often to prevent mold?
Just spray lightly

CharliesWeb

Arachnopeon
I started lightly misting once a day but my smallest sling died :( still not sure if my 2x2 enclosures are too big and dry for these little guys.

Last edited:

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are the other slings feeding at all?

CharliesWeb

Arachnopeon
Are the other slings feeding at all?
Yes. All the other ones have webbed a hammock in a corner and are eating regularly. The one that passed had a really small abdomen and hid in the moss down low most of the time.