User Balvala's Tarantula Pictures

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Updating with a few changes to technique in terms of photographing these three specimens. They're still a bit hazy, perhaps even a tad too sharp in some areas, however I'm still in the process of understanding the camera and editing software.

0.1.0 Ceratogyrus darlingi currently 2"

__

0.1.0 Augacephalus ezendami currently 4.3"

__

0.1.0 Psalmopoeus cambridgei a week after having molted and currently 5"

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice images here Andrew! Really beautiful P. cam you've got there! :D

(Ah, a Terence Mckenna fan I see! ;) )

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Very nice images here Andrew! Really beautiful P. cam you've got there! :D

(Ah, a Terence Mckenna fan I see! ;) )
Thank you, Michael. :) I'm just noticing now, however, that when viewing this new batch of photos upon my phone's screen they appear darker with a heavy, chartreuse tint. Once viewing on my computer, that tinted mask is no longer present.. I don't know if that has to do with the format or what, but it is quite bothersome due to the fact that I don't know if this same negative effect is appearing for others under multiple devices as well.

As for Terence, I really do enjoy some of his work. He's an interesting individual, and I love quoting some of his seemingly blunt and reasonable phrases that help to translate my helpless cynicism into something a bit more positive than what I would naturally feel the urge to convey myself.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The color is likely a monitor calibration issue ... proper calibration is paramount for any graphics work, but it's very tricky to get it spot-on using visual tests alone. Try this site, http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Aside from color, the lighting on this last set is a very clear improvement over your earlier photos ... whatever you did, well done! :)

Balvala

Arachnosquire
The color is likely a monitor calibration issue ... proper calibration is paramount for any graphics work, but it's very tricky to get it spot-on using visual tests alone. Try this site, http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Aside from color, the lighting on this last set is a very clear improvement over your earlier photos ... whatever you did, well done! :)
I'm glad that it shows up well for you! I became resourceful one day and constructed crude "soft box" out of layers of tracing paper, an energy efficient, fluorescent bulb and a heat lamp clamped to a stand in my bathroom.. I didn't have the time to mess with the larger flash that we purchased for our older 35mm a long while ago, so that's what I had to work with.

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Unknown Avicularia species post molt still up for discussion in terms of identification. If anyone has any decent photos of mature female A. asuraklaasi or A. velutina from various angles, it would be much appreciated if you might share those with me either privately or on this thread for comparison.

Avicularia sp. full image (5.5" to 6")

Close-up

Direct, closer abdominal focus

Avicularia sp. isolated spermathecae (cellphone photo)*

Avicularia sp. exuvium (cellphone photo)*

Lower exposure; Full posterior/dorsal focus

Balvala

Arachnosquire
View through a new lens...

0.1.0 Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black"

0.1.0 Chilobrachys fimbriatus - Something I haven't seen in its entirety since I rehoused it at the beginning of the year.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That unknown Avic looks very much like A. geroldi, mate...the blueish satae on the abdomen are a dead give-away.

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Regardless, without being undeniably sure at this point I have no real plans for her in the future other than living out her remaining years as "Avicularia sp."

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Excellent pics, but why did you choose this latin name for your thread? It is not dead scientifically , LOL it sounds like a mock name.

Last edited:

Balvala

Arachnosquire
It is a bit of a modification translating over to "The New Opiate (Addiction) of the Ages"; referring to personal, scientific acts of conservation and documenting being/ should be as such. I've actually been meaning to ask for a change, I just haven't gotten around to it.