”Emergency plan” for tarantulas in winter?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
With winter storm “Bruce” moving through the midwest I was wondering what one would do if power completely went out in the house for their inverts?

I’ve been trying to think about an emergency plan for what I would would do with all my tarantulas and scorpions in case I got “snowed in,” with electricity (including heating) completely going out. I have portable heaters that can easily heat a whole room in case heating in my house went out, but what about power all together?

Most of my collection (and I have *a lot* of inverts) are small spiderlings to juveniles in deli cups to small kritter keep enclosures. And honestly I don’t know what to do if that were to happen.

Is it possible to find something to put the slings in to conserve heat (sort of how sellers shipping out inverts put heat packs/hand warmers with paper, etc. in the box so spiderlings will stay warm)? What about the adults?

I would love to hear ideas, because with winter here now I can’t be the only one with this on mind.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
We technically have a power generator, but it’s large and not safe to use in the house; neither is heating kerosene allowed.

I’ve been looking at portable, rechargeable battery generators online. Any recommendations? I would need something that would be able to heat 2 bedrooms with portable heaters.

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
I have a fireplace, so I would build up a nice big fire and move everybody downstairs if I lost power. Obviously, this is not a solution for everyone, but if you have a fireplace, it's a thought.

Ludmil

Arachnopeon
Calcium dichloride mixed with water emits heat for some time, at least temporary solution. I don't know if and where you can obtain it from in your country.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Battery powered room sized space heaters? Not practical.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Get a large tub that can fit all the enclosures, or most, and have empty bottles. Fill them with hot water and keep track of them that way. I have thermometers to monitor the temp in the room so I’d use a couple of those in each of the larger tubs to monitor the temp

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Definitely look into a small generator and some space heaters.

Get a large tub that can fit all the enclosures, or most, and have empty bottles. Fill them with hot water and keep track of them that way. I have thermometers to monitor the temp in the room so I’d use a couple of those in each of the larger tubs to monitor the temp
If the power is out, there won't be hot water lol

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If the power is out, there won't be hot water lol
If there’s water already heated, which there is still some usually left, it can be used for a few hours. Definitely nothing long term because of that but the power outages that we have over here usually last a few hours so it usually works for a bit. Forgot to mention that it’s a pretty short term solution :shy:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If there’s water already heated, which there is still some usually left, it can be used for a few hours. Definitely nothing long term because of that but the power outages that we have over here usually last a few hours so it usually works for a bit. Forgot to mention that it’s a pretty short term solution :shy:
That is true! Unless they have one of those weird, newfangled "on demand" water heaters lol

The last time we lost power in a storm, we were without for 11 days. I tragically did not have an emergency winter plan for my collection - I live in California, we don't have winter! and I lost all of my Ts ): That was many, many years ago and we haven't gotten snow since... it was a freak weather occurance, but it taught me to be prepared for anything.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
So besides the portable generator/space heaters, would it make sense to “pack” spiders together as if they were getting ready to be shipped? Use a couple plastic bins instead of boxes though, with paper, heat pads, etc.?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
So besides the portable generator/space heaters, would it make sense to “pack” spiders together as if they were getting ready to be shipped? Use a couple plastic bins instead of boxes though, with paper, heat pads, etc.?
Yes. Styrofoam boxes/coolers would be best. Sheet foam and duct tape is pretty cheap and can be laid flat until needed.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Pick up some styrofoam coolers too! Even though they’re a seasonal item, some of the stores near me still sell them

cold blood

Staff member
These extended outages seem to be more an issue either for those living in remote locations in the woods or in areas that don't get a "real" winter cold. Most places in the north make power a high priority. In WI an extended outage might be 4 hours without power....in the past thirty or so yrs I can't ever recall a real extended power outage....even short outages here are extremely uncommon....I can recall exactly 2 such discourages here in the past decade.

The idea of a portable generator is a good one as long as your space heater is powerful enough to compensate, as it's not going to be the usual 5-15 degree boost when the house drops into the 30s or below.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a bunch of those hand warmers that I could use overnight if I place the invertebrates into some plastic tubs. The following morning, if power was still out, I would bring them to work (yes my boss approved that) which has a generator. I live in an area that is not particularly remote, but also not inner city, and there are a ton of trees out here. Truth be told, the biggest threat is not the snow but the wind. I am in panic mode any time there is a "wind advisory ..."

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would take a bunch of Styrofoam or other insulating material, cover an entire closet with it, and keep it relatively warm. During outages, I would keep the spiders in there. Maybe keep an electric object that radiates only a little heat attached to a car battery if you are worried about heat.

AliMD

Arachnopeon
Like others have said, styrofoam coolers with tarantula enclosures stacked inside and heat packs to keep it warm in there. This would probably be the most cost effective solution, if you can find a place that still carries coolers this time of year.

If not, head on over to your local hardware store and pick up a roll of Reflectix; you could line a sterilite plastic tub with it. If youre really concerned about duration, you could even line your styrofoam cooler with reflectix to extend the amount of time each heat pack gives you.....but that might make it too warm in there.