1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Asian forest” molted into red claws?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Matttoadman, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Matttoadman

Matttoadman Arachnoknight

Us
    Advertisement
    I received this “Asian Forest” for Father’s Day in 2017. This year (on Father’s Day) it finally molted. It is huge. Plus it has red claws. I assumed most black scorpions sold at the LPS as Asian would be of the Heterometrus. Are they any other red clawed black scorpions besides Pandinus cavimanus? I will try to get a better picture. This thing is no longer shy and will chase down male Dubias. I have even got to witness it sting the prey and eat it.

Attached Files:

2. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnopeon Active Member

USA
    It does take quite a while for their color to completely darken after molting and during that time they will be more of a brownish red so that might be some of what you're seeing. Although it's been almost a month so I'd think the exoskeleton would have been all the way hardened and dark by now.

3. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

Can you get a better picture with the scorpion under more light? It is nigh on impossible to try and ID down to the species with a picture of just the chelae and chelicerae at an odd angle, especially when it comes to Heterometrus/Pandinus.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  4. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

Based on shape and structure it is deffinitely Heterometrus, they sometimes take ridiculous long time to get dark color back and they sometimes keep a bit of reddish on claws even after that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Matttoadman

Us
    I lightened this one. Black scorpion on damp coco fiber lol.

Attached Files:

6. Matttoadman

Us
    One thing I can say for sure. Compared to tarantulas....scorpions are much more entertaining..... (covers head)

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Matttoadman

Us
    This picture edited for light as well