“Ant Farm” for Burrowing Tarantulas

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The second one is a poor idea for Ts because it's only an inch wide.

I forget the specific name for it, but there's a tank style for Ts that basically involves putting something solid in the center of a fish tank/container, thus diverting the substrate to the sides. This forces the T to burrow against the glass for the owner to view. However, no guarantee your T won't web up the glass with or without paper covering the glass as Frank mentioned.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I forget the specific name for it, but there's a tank style for Ts that basically involves putting something solid in the center of a fish tank/container, thus diverting the substrate to the sides. This forces the T to burrow against the glass for the owner to view. However, no guarantee your T won't web up the glass with or without paper covering the glass as Frank mentioned.
I use this method for my Ts, I've lucked out and they don't generally bother boarding up their "windows". It's great for pet holes. I've mostly got slings so I just put an upturned deli cup in the bottom of the tank before I add substrate.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I'm less worried as they grow but fret badly over my slings,
so, I bury a vial in my deli cups for slings, and shroud the outside below the substrate ,
like a coffee cup sleeve. Not too tight obviously, just enough to keep them dark. (I used craft foam in black)
Personally had amazing luck this way and when I remove the sleeve they are almost always clearly visible.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Concerning the idea of putting something solid in the substrate to create a narrow burrowing environment, I can't see how it would work in the long run. Sure, short term, it'll be great, just like an ant farm. But every burrowing T I've had eventually webs up the sides. They simply don't like the feeling of plastic/glass under their feet, so they cover it in web to compensate. Within six months, you'll just have a foggy maze in a dirt cage.

To be clear, I've never tried what is being suggested. However, I've gotten lucky and had several make tunnels right up against the enclosure. It was great until I couldn't see a darn thing between the dirt curtains and/or webbing.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Concerning the idea of putting something solid in the substrate to create a narrow burrowing environment, I can't see how it would work in the long run. Sure, short term, it'll be great, just like an ant farm. But every burrowing T I've had eventually webs up the sides. They simply don't like the feeling of plastic/glass under their feet, so they cover it in web to compensate. Within six months, you'll just have a foggy maze in a dirt cage.

To be clear, I've never tried what is being suggested. However, I've gotten lucky and had several make tunnels right up against the enclosure. It was great until I couldn't see a darn thing between the dirt curtains and/or webbing.
Hm, I've had mine set up like this for about 2 years without any of them doing this. I wonder if there's some sort of environmental factor that affects whether they web up or not. I keep my house very dark, I wonder if that makes them less likely to web up their "windows"?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's very possible. I'm also in a different climate than you. I don't think it's the light, because I have tried that trick of putting paper in front of the enclosure, to no avail.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I've done this a few times and it has worked well. It did seem like eventually they did web up the sides but I figured if I got 6 months out of it before I had to clean and reset it I was doing fine. That's pretty much what happened. The first time I just put a 5 gallon tank upside down into a 10 gallon and it gave me a nice 2" wide space along the front. A couple of other times I siliconed glass in place which worked well also. I got a wild idea once to use floral foam (the soft green stuff) and it lasted about a week before he had a nice burrow right into the foam.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've done this a few times and it has worked well. It did seem like eventually they did web up the sides but I figured if I got 6 months out of it before I had to clean and reset it I was doing fine. That's pretty much what happened. The first time I just put a 5 gallon tank upside down into a 10 gallon and it gave me a nice 2" wide space along the front. A couple of other times I siliconed glass in place which worked well also. I got a wild idea once to use floral foam (the soft green stuff) and it lasted about a week before he had a nice burrow right into the foam.
I've seen a few people uses foam of different types for burrow formation. I haven't tried it myself, but the results are quite cool.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen a few people uses foam of different types for burrow formation. I haven't tried it myself, but the results are quite cool.
Yeah, I'd seen different foam used too that's why I tried some of the floral stuff. I should have known that since I could crumble it like dust with my fingers it probably wouldn't work. I wonder if the great stuff would be any better as it is harder. they could still probably claw it pretty good though. I was also thinking that as long as the T was more or less happy with the artificial burrow he might not be so inclined to dig into the foam. In one of my shows I make abs plastic and I know that would work but its expensive stuff.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd seen different foam used too that's why I tried some of the floral stuff. I should have known that since I could crumble it like dust with my fingers it probably wouldn't work. I wonder if the great stuff would be any better as it is harder. they could still probably claw it pretty good though. I was also thinking that as long as the T was more or less happy with the artificial burrow he might not be so inclined to dig into the foam. In one of my shows I make abs plastic and I know that would work but its expensive stuff.

In many setups GS just serves as the immediate background and people put additional materials on top of the GS itself that harden up. If one did that, a Ts clawing would be a non-issue likely. Though there's always the speculation IF the T will actually use the burrow one made.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In many setups GS just serves as the immediate background and people put additional materials on top of the GS itself that harden up. If one did that, a Ts clawing would be a non-issue likely. Though there's always the speculation IF the T will actually use the burrow one made.

Good point. It may look like a perfectly good home to us but to them...?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good point. It may look like a perfectly good home to us but to them...?
They are opportunistic as you know. But they are also fussy too in their own way. I made some nice starter burrows in sub for a few different NWs, not one took to them. Who knows what is "right" to them. The only thing I do know is the vids I've watched on YouTube with nice premade setups done by the owners all had Ts inside the burrows. I think they are all getting lucky hahah

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are opportunistic as you know. But they are also fussy too in their own way. I made some nice starter burrows in sub for a few different NWs, not one took to them. Who knows what is "right" to them. The only thing I do know is the vids I've watched on YouTube with nice premade setups done by the owners all had Ts inside the burrows. I think they are all getting lucky hahah
Making the nice burrows and locking the T's inside long enough to take the videos then just letting the animal make his own burrow like he is planning on doing all the time.