¿¿¿ How did you convince ???

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My wife absolutely forbade me from getting the first…. and all the rest! I had had them before, so one day I just picked up an Avic at the local pet store and set up house for it in the finished basement. Fortunately my wife may just be the most unobservant person on the planet, so it was here for a couple of weeks before she even noticed it. She was pretty mad at first, but what could she say, she didn't even know it was here for like three weeks…. It was all downhill from there. Or uphill depending on how you look at it.

Wee Man

Arachnopeon
I didn't really convince my parents to let me have one. I had my friends dad take me to this store and i just bought them.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't have to. I had a friend about 10 years ago that had a very old female rosehair that I fell in love with and never forgot. I had mentioned it to my husband, and he suprised me on our anniversary with my own rosehair. I now have 19, and he can't complain, because if it is true that I am addicted, he was the one that started me. He likes mine and claimed several of them as his, and two weeks ago, fell in love with, and brought home, a T. blondi sling. I'm thinking I'm not the only addict in the house now.......

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I went for the "I've went and bought a large venemous arachnid with a 4" legspan - what are you going to do about it?" approach.

My parents really like animals so they didn't mind too much. It was funny actually, I was going to my first ever bug show with a friend who keeps tarantulas and we were discussing how best to convince my parents that letting me have one was a good idea. Eventually we decided that I should just text my mum and say I had one and see what reaction we got. Obviously if she told me to take it right back where I got it/ she was about to disown me etc etc I'd simply not buy one however the conversation went as follows...

me: Mum guess what I got a pet spider, it came with its own box and everything.
mum: What kind of spider exactly?
me: a Chile rose tarantula
mum: OH MY GOD
me: don't worry it's only about 3" long
mum: OH MY GOD
me: honestly mum she's really quite sweet and she came with her own cage and water bowl and everything.
mum: whats her name?

A year and a half later I'm up to 22!{D

brokenpole

Arachnopeon
What...no ESF????

Socrates said:
That's a tough one, especially since my hobby isn't shared with any other family members, regardless that my 14-year old is at fault for getting me hooked. (<--that was 2 years ago...and even though HE lost interest fast, mine grew quite rapidly. ;) )

At first the husband would ask: "When will you have enough?" Then: "How many more will you add?" And: "Don't you think you're running out of room?"

I really never answered any of those questions - I couldn't - how could anyone?

I guess by now he's just used to it, and has learned to accept them, too. :)

---
Wendy
---
Oh come on Wendy...I always play the ESF angle. Sharon uses it on me all the time. In fact...it worked again today. She got another scorp...I got more ESF!!!!!

As for the comment..."What's its name?" I think that kinda seals the deal doesn't it!!

Sparky

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife got me into the hobbie and I thought I would just get one or two but 4 years later we are up to 48 T's and God knows how many more animals.

Our house is a zoo.

{D

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I got mine when I was 11 (I just turned 12). It's a chilean rose hair named Joby. It was really easy to convince my mom, even though the only space was 1 bookshelf. I researched for about 1 month, then spouted off some info and wallah! Of course, she didnt want to ship it so we went to the white plains show. And I ended up with a chile rose instead of an a. Versicolor. Wah, but I don't think I would've been prepared enough for one of those speedy things. Don't mean to sound like a baby, but I'm scared of bugs a little. I guess I'll do the whole "I don't like bugs or spiders, but I have a pet tarantula" lol. ;) good luck OP! Omg just saw how old this thread is! :( sorry!